What Is This Weed?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Ken Anderson, May 23, 2016.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

purple-bee-balm-400x266.jpg
    @Ken Anderson

Is this the same thing.? It's called a Bee Balm plant. I know nothing about plants, found it on google.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That looks exactly like it. From the name, I guess that's why the bees like it so much. Thanks.

Tom Galty and Bess Barber like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I discovered a new berry-producing shrub this morning, because direct gardening sent me an email of the plants they have on sale right now. This shrub is called Aronia , and it has berries that look similar to a blueberry, but are not as sweet. It said that the shrub grows 3-6 feet tall and spreads, and the berries are one of what we call “superfoods”.
    It is actually native in most of the eastern part of the United States (zones 3-8) so it should grow fine here, and it will spread, which is fine with me, too.
    It can be used as an edible hedge shrub, because of the spreading, so if you don’t want it to spread, you have to get rid of the new side sprouts, or at least let them grow where you want them.

The berries have a lot of good vitamins and minerals, but are sour, and the berries are commonly called “chokeberries” (different from a chokecherry), but it says that they are great mixed with sweeter fruit like apples, and make good jam, juices or added into a smoothie. Since the are half price right now, I am thinking about getting a couple of them to plant out back and see how they do.
    I think they might be something that would work in your back yard reclamation project, @Ken Anderson .

https://www.tenthacrefarm.com/grow-aronia-berries/

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Maggie Rose likes this.
  4. Maggie Rose

Maggie Rose Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've always thought it was a nuisance. I did not know what it was called and definitely did not know it was edible. I love learning. @Shirley Martin

5. Maggie Rose

Registered

Are you telling me that Kudzu can be eaten? Did I read that right?@Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

It is edible, but actually eating it is another matter, @Maggie Rose . I think that the smaller leaves would have worked better, but I did use some in a green smoothie, and that was not bad. I tried cooking some like spinach, but the leaves are tough.
    I read that some people make jelly from the flowers, but I didn’t try that.
    I think that if a person used the tender young spring leaves, they would be better than the tough summer ones that I was experimenting with.
    As with all edible greens, kudzu has a lot of vitamins and minerals.
    We do not have any nearby where we live now, or I would probably have been trying to find better ways to use it, since it is so prolific.
    Here is a page with some ideas for eating kudzu:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Kudzu

Bobby Cole and Maggie Rose like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

I will look into that. Spreading is what I'm looking for because I want something in which I can plant only a few, and have them fill in the rest of the space on their own. I can control the spread while I'm still around and after I die, I don't care if it invades the whole state.

On a previous topic, I noticed that someone has bamboo growing pretty successfully between the back of his yard and the railroad tracks on the other end of my block. I would prefer something with edible berries, though.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

According to the last issue of Grit that I read, the blossoms can be used in jellies and in desserts or candies.

9. Maggie Rose

Registered

I had no idea Yvonne. Is it still growing everywhere down south? I remember driving and seeing it in mass, it could look quite beautiful. If you drive the roads at night and see it taking on different shapes as it grows over trees and things it could actually be a bit scary. Absolutely surprised that it's edible. @Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If kudzu is edible, I'll never go hungry again!!!!:)

Terry Coywin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Kudzu is edible. But then, they say that about broccoli and liver, too.

12. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

Just the name of that plant turns me off. Plus, I absolutely refuse to drink anything green. No way or no how. Just a quirk of mine, but forget it. Same as I refuse to drink anything made with apples. Never! I'll eat greens and wear green, and I love to eat apples. Weird, but there is a reason for the apple drinks. I guess the green ones too.

13. Yvonne Smith

I just got a plant identification app for my iPhone, called “Picture This”, and you can identify all kinds of plants with it. I ended up getting the paid premium version because I can see that this is something that i will use a lot, but you can get the basic one for free.

It also can identify plants from a photograph, so I looked up the ones you had asked about before, @Ken Anderson . The rose/berry vine turns out to be called a northern dewberry, and is very similar to a blackberry, so you should be able to get berries from it each year.

The interesting purple flowers are called Scarlet Beebalm Bergamot, according to my app.

I definitely recommend this app for all of us who are gardeners, or just outdoorsy-type of people. It can identify wild plants , too; so I can see that it could be useful for someone like @John Brunner who lives near woods and has wild bushes and plants to identify.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have used the plant ID feature on my iPhone photos a few times, and it is definitely hit or miss. At least half the time the plants are incorrectly identified. (I tested it around my yard with stuff I'm familiar with.)

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Thanks. I'll have to check that out. I've hesitated to install apps on any phone I've had, but it sounds like recent versions of the iPhone operation system give the user options for managing the data those apps might help themselves to.

Bobby Cole likes this.