What I Learned Today

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Hedi Mitchell, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Was it just a memory reminder or did a loud tow truck pull up to the house? :D
    I had that happen in my 30's. Whole neighborhood knew. Wasn't my most proud hour.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I found out when I got email from bank..saying..no gottie your money.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Micki Pembroke and Bess Barber like this.
  4. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

5. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Is this for real @Patsy Faye?

6. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

I learned today....while outside, the air is fresher, the leaves are sounding crispy, the birds are shy with their songs, birds are also feasting up for their long journey, shorter days...learning once again, fall is on it's way. Following that, winter will make a grand entrance, this Canadian will learn how to be our given right, a grouchy Canadian for 7 months of winter. I can think of far better things to learn.....lol.

7. Craig Wilson

Registered

I learned today that spring is in the air in Sydney. But I wonder just how many of those spring like things we will see. Like flowering tea trees and bottlebrush. We have another mild winter so they are already starting to flower and the native parrots are already starting to feast. Even the slower growing Wattyl is beginning to flower and we still have a week of winter. The two maple trees in our front garden are also growing back their leaves. We may need to change the seasons.

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

It is - its thought he entered a cave and stayed there
    It is true that when he emerged 2 years later - he had tremendous foresight and made drawings from the images
    in his mind.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wish we had parrots flying around out here, even if they did feast on tree blossoms ! As your signs of spring are starting in Australia, it is beginning to look like fall is coming here in Alabama. We are out of the 90 degree heat, and it was actually a chilly rain yesterday and temperatures in the 70’s.
    They will be back into the 80’s again, but we should be done with all of the really hot days.
    I am hoping for a long fall, and look forward to the times when we don’t have to have either too much heat or too much cold.

10. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Amen to that

Micki Pembroke and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Craig Wilson

Registered

Like these beautiful creatures @Yvonne Smith.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  12. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

I wish we had a fall season. It just goes from hot - less hot - 3 colder days - hot. The AC blows your tinsel off the Christmas tree. No big deal regarding seasonal clothes. Pretty much still use flip flops all year, except for a few days here and there.

What I learned today : I wouldn't know how to shovel snow or walk in heavy winter clothing. :(

13. Craig Wilson

Registered

We certainly have too much heat.. and it is elevating in warmth every year. Last summer we had at least 7 days of 40/42C.(104/7F) Our average was 33C (91F) that is unheard of in Sydney which used to boast a temperate summer climate.Thankfully I dont have to worry about the real cold.. unless I was living in a place such as Jindabyne at the foot of the Australian Alps.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We had geese flying overhead today, heading south for the winter, and August seems early for them to be going south. This usually means an early winter, because animals always seem to know when to migrate.
    When I used to have horses, we could usually tell what kind of winter it would be, because they would grow a heavy winter coat. The earlier they started growing it in, the sooner winter was likely to start, and how heavy a coat they grew was usually a good indicator of how severe the winter would be.
    When they began to shed out in spring,, then we knew that summer was on the way.
    One of the Idaho facebook groups that I belong to posted a 37 temperature last night. I have seen frost on the car windshield as early as the end of August, but normally, it doesn’t happen until later than that.

15. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

Learning time.... we certainly can expand on our lessons when we observe wildlife, our pets, sky, stars. Animals certainly have the heads up on our weather to come, danger and so much more. If they're a bit confused about the future comings, we need to take credit for that. " Global Warming " We damaged the atmosphere all my ourselves.