What Have You Got New This Week

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Holly Saunders, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page , I just got new glasses four months ago, ($700.), and when I asked If I could have the surgery I was told not for at least four years. I don't understand it either.

I can watch TV, drive, garden, and see most things, but I admit reading is getting harder, and there is no way I can see well enough to see the fine lines I use in my portraits.

So weaving here I come. After I do a couple of blankets I'll have a better idea of how long the process will take. I've never weaved before, but it can't be any harder than quilting by hand. That's another thing I can't see well enough to do anymore.

Bonnie Thomas and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have glasses, progressive and even though my eye dr says my vision hasn't changed I have the hardest time reading all the fine print on medicine bottles, etc. I get so frustrated.

Well, have fun with it! I've only crocheted and that was 100 yrs ago.:)

3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I have reading glasses, 2.75 at this point, but always have a magnifier around for that teeny, tiny print on stuff.
    But then again, I have another pair of glasses for driving ...
    for some reason, the progressive never worked for me. .. ??

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

The only time I really don't need glasses is middle range. I can see in movie theaters and I don't need it for watching TV but do need for long distance and reading.

I bought a magnifying glass too but never have it when I need it.

5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy I have two and can usually latch onto one of them. I might just pick up another.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I should get another one, but why can't they make that small print just a little bigger?

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

What a coincidence. We just had lunch with the rice cooked by our new rice cooker. Our old rice cooker had a broken base so we used the spare one that is in the stock room. However, the replacement doesn't give us good rice, it is always dry and sometimes so dry that some portion are crunchy. Last week we bought a new rice cooker that is expensive. Yes, our lunch is the output of that expensive rice cooker. And for the previous ones, they will remain in the stock room to be the reserve in case something happens.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

My eyesight deteriorated during my 50s and after an eye test, was prescribed a pair of reading glasses which cost about $70 and lasted a couple of weeks before I sat on them, so since then I have bought from China via eBay. for a few dollars a pair.
    I can still drive without but vision is sharper if I wear a 1.25 pair.

Apart from that because my eye muscles are so lazy now, I really need a pair for every focal length :rolleyes: For reading 3.5 middle distance 2.5 and so on. I never watch TV so can manage generally with a driving pair and a reading pair. I have never tried varifocals but I guess I would sit on those as well :rolleyes:
    Have drawer full of 30 odd pairs at the moment and often make one good pair out of two damaged ones, it's a kind of hobby. ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  9. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm one of those people with reading glasses in every room. I'm always misplacing a pair, so I put them everywhere. :)
    But then again, I only have drug store glasses, which I pay about $3-5 a pair.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

When I just needed reading glasses, I bought cheap ones. Sometimes Target even had them in their $1 bins.

I still buy the cheapest glasses, they are rimless. Think they cost $274 and that was for Progressive, but my son paid for them when I visited in July.

The only time I'm careful is walking down stairs with the Progressives. I got used to them fairly quickly and it's natural now to go from viewing long distance to reading.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That's a nice looking loom, @Ina I. Wonder, I'm looking forward to hearing how the process goes, and seeing the blankets. I've always wanted to learn how to weave, but have never had the time/money/space for equipment and trying it out.

I bought some yarn needles recently, for a project I'm working on. They're not quite as nice as what I've been using, but they'll do for this project. I also purchased some iron on patches. I have a favorite pair of pants I wear around the house. They're almost as soft as my cats, and I refuse to give them up, although they've been patched multiple times by now.

Attached Files:

Yvonne Smith and Ruby Begonia like this.
  12. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I've heard of using those magnifying glasses, but I've seen more than 2.75 magnification. Plus I not sure of the positive (+) or negative (-) designations. When I was 13 a BBQ pit blew up in my face. It was a flash burn, and my first glasses were actually rose colored. At 40 they started giving me progressives and transitional, because I can't stand bright lighting. They gave me my regular set and a set for close up, but I can't understand why two pair of glasses cost almost $1200.00. Am I being scammed I wonder?

13. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Diane Lane , I don't go out much, I have to make myself get out of my house, and at this time of the year I spend many days at a time without going outside. I am hoping that volunteering at the VA will benefit them and myself as well. I use very little stuff, and I'm able to save quite a bit on gas, and all the oh so tempting things to buy.

Since I didn't recieve anything for my birthday or Christmas, I deciced to treat myself to a loom. It will give me an outlet for my itchy fingers, and something more to do with my days. I'm will start with baby blanket, and maybe after some time I'll be able to make cloth and tapestries.

14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Ina can you not just get your glasses prescription from your optician and then buy your glasses online...so much cheaper than getting them from an optician.

I've just chosen a random online eyeglass supplier in America as an example...

https://www.glassesusa.com/womens-eyeglasses

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that Medicare will cover glasses for a pair every year or maybe two years, @Ina I. Wonder . You can only get basic ones, or you pay the extra; but at least it would cover part of the cost for you.
    I also read that people with disability Medicare can still get a Medicare Advantage supplement, even though you are not old enough for senior Medicare. Perhaps you need to check this out with your health insurance person again ? Maybe they can help you with the glasses next time.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.