What Do You Think A Expensive Dinner For Two Would Cost? At A Really Nice Place

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Including Tip

2. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Checked the menu at the local Ruth's Chris, and dinner for two with tip would be in the $200 to $250 range, excluding wine, etc.

But we recently had dinner at Waffle House for about $30 with tip.

3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I know Ruth's eatery and $200 to $250 would be OK for 4 to 6 people.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A lot depends on whether or not alcohol is involved.

Regarding Ruth's Chris...the least expensive steak starts at $50, Lon. Just the steak. No appetizer, no salad, no sides, no dessert, no drinks. And that's in the Virginia suburbs outside of DC.

I gotta go with Hoot's number. Add 30% for DC, NYC, LA, etc.

5. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

No interest here in spending that amount or anything close to it just to eat a meal my dinner yesterday was under $20 for 2 with all we needed at the local truck stop and we enjoyed it and were very full 4 of us so $40 minus for 4, to many memories of how hard that $40 was to earn in my past so we just do not do it any can label it as they wish just a truthful statement here, rather donate $30 to help animals and rest to eat on for me as long as I knew for sure where the donation really went to. and any donations I ask what % goes for employees benefit salary or otherwise. then show me proof. Blowing money on a fancy meal is just not me.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Depends on what qualifies as a “really nice place”. It’s been years since I dined or even worked in a place I personally consider to be fine dining but for 10+ courses including aperitif to wine(s) during the meal and champagne or after dinner drinks I never expected to pay less than 500 beans.

Ruth Chris is a nice place as well as similar places but for table side service, ala carte menu, a great wine selection and also having a table that belongs to me for 2-4 hours costs money. One place we have here in Huntsville almost advertises that you won’t leave there without spending at least $250 + tip for two guests.

As a side bar: A golf club I worked at charged 5K a month for the restaurant whether you ate in the dining room or not. A simple tuna fish sandwich with a couple of chips cost $15 at the 19 hole and there was nothing on the dining room menu that cost less than $75.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We would never/ever spend that much! At the very most, for a nice prime rib dinner and 4oz lobster dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse, with a Bud Light and possibly an appetizer (stuffed mushrooms), it will cost us, with tip: $70.00

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. John Brunner

I had completely forgotten about that aspect of cost. It's all about the "turns."

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Again, it depends on what you deem to be a “really nice place” and I might add, what you consider to be dining versus having a meal out.
    If Long Horn trips your trigger, that’s fine. Hal likes his Steer and Stein and we generally hit a Mexican, Chinese or even IHOP on an occasion when we go out to eat.
    It’s all good but there is a definite distinction between fine dining and just going to a “nice” place.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, you definitely have that right. Our dining is very cheap, compared to some restaurants. P.F. Chang is very expensive, like Benihana's. Just done some research and there are plenty of very, very Upper-Class restaurants in both New York City and Las Vegas.

I had a nice dinner at Steer and Stein one time, while living in Riverside, California.

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I wouldn't consider any chain restaurant to be "fine dining", although several of them are very nice. I don't know how many fine restaurants are left in Anchorage, as I haven't been in there since the whole Covid thing started. There were once a number of fine restaurants there, but the city has put many of them out of business with the restrictions. I think we only have one really good restaurant in this area and it is affiliated with a golf course, but you don't need to belong to the club to eat there, or even to play golf there.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Never been to fine dining place. Closest thing was place charging me $50 and giving $5 worth of food

13. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, we have the world famous Roanoke Hotel.

On Sundays, I'm, guessing it would come to $80 for my wife and I.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. John Brunner

This reminds me of a steak house just across the river from DC in Rosslyn called "Emerson's."

This was back when restaurants offered "all you can drink" beer with your meal.
    -The upside was that lawsuits had yet to shut down this activity.
    -The downside was they served Schaefer draft.
    I don't see how Chang's stays in business. They're in a market known for large helpings of inexpensive food. That being said, I've never eaten there.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Expensive food tastes bad, so I'll stick with the low to mid-range stuff.

Hedi Mitchell and Bobby Cole like this.