What Do You Say

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Shirley Martin, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

to someone who has just been told that she has cancer and has less than a year to live?

My sister-in-law (DH's sister) got that tragic news yesterday. We have been more like sisters that sisters-in-law for a long time. Needless to say, I am distraught. I am sure she is devastated. I know I should go to see her but ………………. what on Earth can I say?

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Your really don't have to say anything. Just being with her may cheer her up, some. Going through this alone makes it so much harder. Don't stay away.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Joe Riley is right. Just spend time with her and be available to talk or meet her needs whatever they may be...perhaps taking her someplace or doing something together as long as she is well enough. Don't dwell on her illness unless she chooses to talk about it. Be the same friend you always have been, @Shirley Martin

4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Just tell her you love her and how much she means to you.

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

How I agree with this statement - followed by hugs, reassurance for you both xx
    I wish you, and all concerned absolute strength and guidance

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

There's really nothing you can say that will change things Shirley...but being there to hug and maybe even cry with her, etc. will let her know you are there for her. If you two have a sister relationship go be that sister to her during her time of need. You might think about what you would need if you had just gotten that news.

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry to hear you're going through this as a family Shirley... ((hugs)))

Shirley Martin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

So sorry Shirley. That’s one of my biggest fears...hearing those words about a loved one or even about myself.

I agree with everything that’s been said so far.

Just visit her and take your cue from her...everyone deals differently.

Just be there for her in whatever she needs...if you can. Are you near her?

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

When my husband was terminal...obviously there were some bad days but for the most part life ws fairly normal.

We talked, he watched Tv, slept even laughed.

It’s hard to explain ....while I knew he was dying ...life ws still very normal.

Before he became bedridden we went to my daughter’s, ate out, went shopping etc.

Everything was just a bit more difficult because he had a wheelchair and then a scooter but it was just a pain for me

I’d get him in the car and then deal with scooter or wheelchair by myself.

It’s probably a good thing I was only 53 at the time. Don’t think my back could handle that scooter now.

If you don’t mind sharing @Shirley Martin ...how old is she and what type of cancer?

Edit: I left out the part where we even fought sometimes. He could get very grumpy and obnoxious but then he was dying, on a bunch of meds, etc.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I agree with everyone else, Shirley. There is nothing that you can say to her that is going to change her life expectancy; but what she needs the most, is to know how loved she is, and you can certainly show her that you love her and that she will be missed.
    Just someone with whom she can share her thoughts, and hold her when she needs to cry, is going to help as much as anything.
    Prayers for both you, your sister-in-law, and for all of her family who are hurting for her right now.

11. Shirley Martin

Registered

Thanks, y'all. I don't know what else to say, just, "Thank you." I plan to go see her tomorrow.

@Chrissy Cross, she lives about 20 miles from me. We visit fairly often and talk on the phone several times a week.

She has been having severe backaches for the last few months. She had an MRI done just before Christmas and it showed what the doctor thought was metastatic cancer in her spine. She went to Duke Hospital and they did MRIs and said she has several spots of cancer in her spine, stage four lung cancer, and cancer in her breasts. They want to do an MRI of her brain because they think it may be in her brain. I don't see much point in doing that.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Poor woman!! Besides you..does she have many family members nearby?

I agree...to be honest, it doesn’t sound good and I just hope they keep her pain free as much as possible.

That’s what I would want.

I feel so bad for you...for her...her loved ones.

❤️

Shirley Martin and Patsy Faye like this.
  13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm sadden to hear about your sister-in-law and with the others there really isn't anything you can say just be there for her.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  14. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

I add my agreement to everything already said. ((Shirley)). Just assure her you are there for her, which your actions & attitude already prove you are. Very sorry.

15. Shirley Martin

Registered

Thank you.