What Do You Call Those Sandwich Thingies And Accompanying Drink?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Mari North, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Holly & Mari- exactly!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I reckon I'll irritate the heck out of you. I call them Gyros, rhyming with fly. I don't really get irritated but I sort of cringe when someone pronounces Caribbean ka RIB ean instead of Cara B en or call pecans pee cans.:rolleyes:
    There are too many regional differences in any language to worry about pronouncing words from another language. It's all Greek to me:D

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL Sheldon...I don't get irritated with people in the UK who call them GY..rose (they know know better I suppose ....but I have to admit to a little irritation with Non Greeks (English speaking holidaymakers) when they're in Greece and they don't attempt to pronounce it properly, even tho' they've learned how it should be pronounced ... ....I just think, when in Rome ( or Greece in this case)..at least try and attempt the Lingo.. :D

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Lol, Sheldon in my area we do say "PEE-cans" instead of "Peh-KAHNS". When I visited the south, I learned how to say it right , since after all, they GROW in the south.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

A GY-row person, huh? Well that's okay, @Sheldon Scott ... you won't get the "eyeballs" then, that I have gotten when ordering. :) I agree with you about ka RIB ean... always said it the other way and it sounds so odd hearing it said what, to me, is the "wrong" way.

Now about those pee cans. hehe That's funny to type it out that way! :oops: I have a story about that. I was traveling one time and was well aware of the difference in pronunciations. I didn't want to look like a goofball so I said to the waiter, "Okay, listen, I'm traveling and want pie for dessert. Depending on where you're from, that would be either PEEcan, PeeCAN, Peh KAHN, or peecun." Saved face... and it was delicious. I could have ordered apple :p but that would be too easy!

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Heroes and soda.
    Recently I went into a new grocery store, asked where the soda was, and had to explain what I meant. Locals call it pop.

Re: sandwich thingies- one of the dopiest things I've seen lately is called a 'slider'- teeny-tiny sandwiches, you'd have to eat a dozen of them to be satisfied.

Sheldon Scott and Ruby Begonia like this.
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Growing up in Hawaii our home we ate mostly white rice with another main dish like you'd eat potato with your main dish. We'd go to restaurants and I was introduced to a clubhouse sandwich which is a Triple Decker sandwich of toast, turkey, lettuce, toast, bacon then tomato lastly toast all with a generous dabs of mayonnaise. Submarine sandwich is what came when Subway opened up locally for me. I love Subway fresh sandwiches. We ate sandwiches like BLT, or tuna sandwich, egg salad, bologna, salami sandwiches etc. that was a single layer of meat with a lettuce in between 2 bread with mayo slathered on it. Locally we call the fizzy stuff soda. If we like to drink juice we'd say orange juice. or guava juice etc.

Janice Martin and Sheldon Scott like this.