What Do Protesters Want?

Discussion in 'Protests & Riots' started by John Brunner, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

-- Patch Media

This wasn't anyone here, was it?

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I swear I haven't been to Massachusetts since 2004

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

From what I remember, I was still in high school, and living on the farm, when Vietnam Protests were happening and didn't hear a thing about them. That was from 1965 thru May 1968. I watched very little tv back then and my guardian parents didn't watch local or national news. After I joined the Navy in May of '68, again, I didn't hear/see anything about protests. The only tv onboard ship was the one on the mess deck and that one was never on local or national news. From what I knew, there were no Vietnam Protests in either San Diego or Long Beach when I was stationed at both.

And, from what I've seen on tv, years later, those Vietnam Protests were nearly as radical as what's happening now.
    Have there been any protests, since Vietnam, there are like now?

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You need to distinguish between a demonstration and a riot. We are currently having RIOTS. And yes, we have had them... like the Rodney King episode, Trayvon Martin, etc.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Beth, it is first protests that can/have turned into riots. People standing at a street corner, or on a public lawn, either holding a sign or not, protesting something is not a riot. People breaking windows and looting, throwing projectiles at police and starting fires is most definitely rioting.
    I did not watch any news coverage of Rodney King or Trayvon Martin, however have watched some news coverage of protesting and rioting in big cities lately.
    What I'm saying is that, apparently, the Vietnam Protests weren't as bad as right now. I could be wrong, but I didn't hear of any burning of buildings, looting, etc. during the Vietnam Protests. I didn't hear of a protester being shot and/or killed by another protester either. To me, today's protests are "wild and wicked" compared to the old Anti-Vietnam Protests.

Maggie Mae likes this.
  7. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Geez..... What rock were you under during the Chicago Democratic Convention, The MLK assassination riots, others too numerous to list???

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Knew about them, just didn't follow. Actually, our niece, her husband and her daughter, don't watch tv, but do have one. Ask them about this stuff and they'd say they've heard about it, but didn't watch tv about any of it. She would say, like many Seniors on here would, "we've got better things to do rather than watch tv."

There are those that simply don't care about all of this protesting/rioting stuff.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It's obvious they don't want any kind of law enforcement! Some have even carried signs stating just that. "We can protect ourselves", one sign read. Now, does this mean they want to do anything (criminal) they want to with absolutely no consequences? Do they really hate (tough word "hate", but that is what they are portraying) law enforcement that much?

Have any of them tried to subdue someone who was resisting?

Have any of them ever been shot at by someone who isn't a law enforcement officer?

Do any of them know what it would be like to call 911 and nobody answered or need an officer and one didn't come?

I could probably think of other questions to ask any one of them, but for now, this is good enough.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well one thing you obviously haven't considered is that back in the '60's we had Walter Cronkite but not the internet and cable news yelling sensationalism all the live-long day. Today we are barraged from every electronic device so we get to see the idiots rioting, but back then we got a passing mention on the evening news. Besides many of us were too young to care about such things back then.

There has been a radical part of society since the beginning of time, and that small percentage is responsible for all the bad behavior at what begins as a peaceful protest.

Mary Robi likes this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

1968 Democratic National Convention
    Chicago, IL

Dwight Ward likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

A different type of government, one in which they can force everyone to do whatever it is they want them to do.

13. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

They arrested the wrong guy. It was me and I was naked when I spit on the Trump supporter.. I disagree that my lewdness was 'open and gross'. My lewdness was understandable. I always drive in the nude.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Lots off spunk for a 77 year old.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I think they want a good swift kick in the butt.