What Do Forums Need?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes Ken I agree with all that, and what keeps me coming back here is that I am learning all the time from the mix of members you have here, I am a people person and find getting to know members both fascinating and rewarding. For me the plus with online forums is the fact that you interact with people, you would probably not come into contact with or approach in the real world.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Holly Saunders and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here's an idea. Each of us has lived at least fifty years, and some of us have several years on that. During this time, every one of us has learned something. It may not have made us rich, but we've learned something that made our lives easier, more productive, more fun, or more interesting. You may have learned it from someone else, read it in a book, or seen it in a film. You may have thought it up all by yourself or made adaptations to something you've learned elsewhere.

Take a moment, and try to think of something that you have learned that you could share with the rest of us, then start a thread on that subject, giving it a title that is descriptive of the topic. I'm not talking about finding a do-it-yourself site or a video online and posting a link to it, but something in your own words and from your own experiences. There's nothing wrong with linking to something that you've found helpful but your own words are the most valuable.

Others might ask questions or offer other suggestions. If the latter, please don't take any new suggestions as putting down your own because, quite frankly, there is usually more than one good way to do most everything and, while something may work best for me, something else might be a better choice for someone else, but your idea might the best one for yet another person. Either way, we're all enriched by the discussion, and of course the forum greatly benefits.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  3. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

You are absolutely right about enriching discussions at SeniorsClub Only. My latest comment didn't contribute much, with only a few words punched in there. So, I apologize for not delving deeper into the subject at hand.

I'm guilty of inactivity at SCO since the Christmas holidays until to date. I've been into politics (following up) with Fox News since the Donald Trump Presidential announcement 2016 last June. Before that, I've been looking, faithfully, at the news from: The Times of Israel and Blogs, Truth Revolt and some of Bill Whittle and Andrew Klavan's political commentaries, opinions and satirism (a word I just made up). Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin, I've just added to my list. And Coulter's latest book, Adios America! sounds like my next in the book list to read.

Since February 1st, school has started here at home. So, before that commencement, I needed to organize our lessons and reading materials. I found out about Charlotte Mason's methods and ideas of teaching and enjoying at the same time. And later, mainlessons, the James Baldwin Project.

I've included the classics such as, History (American revolution), Shakespeare and Plutarch into our library and dinner table study periods. Lately, the Athenian law in which Shakespeare's playwrights was at the center stage regarding the love "craze" between Hermia and Lysander. Of course, Athenian law did not allow girls to enjoy that freedom to marry whomever they loved, but were forced by law to marry the men of their fathers' choices. Today, I will read to them Aeneid for Boys and Girls.

I used the lesson and the rich archaic Shakespearean English as our talking points regarding politics:p (oh, yeah, my favorite), grammar, differing points of view-- social issues (my children felt 'shouting and annoyed' at the 'stupid' law), and spelling. Math is a difficult one for me. So, I allot time understanding and studying Math lessons more :).

I've had two grandchildren born in January and February. So, that has been very exciting for my two beautiful daughters. And I'm over the moon with my newest grandchildren!

I've tried to resurrect a two-year old blog site, in which, I'm not doing very well. I've started a draft for a dream-book novel, in which I haven't gone very far. But more to come, time allowing me, to visit other topics in the SCO forums.

I always love it here, at Seniors Club Only! :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess I feel differently about forums. I join a forum not for information about anything, I can look that up myself.

I join for a feeling of community and having some fun and making some friends. If a post is too long and by someone I don't even know I probably won't read it. I also won't post a long essay, didn't like doing it in school and I still don't like it. Although I joined her in August, I didn't post for months because all I saw were very long posts
    That made my eyes glaze over.

Maybe this isnt the place for me that I hoped it was. I'm starting to feel guilty about having fun on here. :(

5. Terry Page

Registered

I feel the same as you Chrissy, I avoid very long posts and subjects that are too serious, or of no interest to me and my few remaining marbles, life is just too short.
    However I don't feel guilty, that must be your Catholic gene :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Forums by their very nature have to have a mix of everything, some serious some fun...I like it all..but if there's a thread that doesn't interest me after I've read the opening post then I don't return to it. I like all posts short or long...so long as the long ones are not the length of a book, and are laid out in paragraphs then they're easy to read.

That said... I do believe that ken is looking for more of a variety of topic headings instead of the same threads being posted on in a loop...

It's a little difficult with such a low membership level..and also the site has many varying topic headings, but not everything is available at least to me on new posts..or even watched threads..so it's not always easy to see new threads and topics.

I joined this forum because number one the people on here are by and large very friendly and supportive..I have no time for anger and cliques ..and I've never seen that here..thank the Lord. Admin is also extremely impartial from what I've seen so far, and willing to allow extreme differences of opinions between posters, and even with admin himself... without resorting to the suspension or banning button..again so refreshing from a chat forum.

I love this forum...I can't think of a nicer bunch of people and I've used forums for many, many years....I just think you have to find your own niche as a member and stick with it..

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I love the people on here too, Holly. I come here for fun and to see friends. Guess I panic when I hear the words long posts. :)

8. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

That's funny, as I've got that too. And here I thought I was the only one.
    I've been afflicted with the Short Attention Span syndrome for a long time...:D

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I will write a paragraph at the most. Most important info can be revealed in that. Then as the thread progresses, more info can be revealed and even remembered. That is what appeals to me anyway, all the different posts added to an original post. Sometimes even a little off track.:)

I see a very long post and I just stare at it and think what the heck can I add to that!

10. Terry Page

Registered

Maybe some punctuation ;)

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Ken Anderson, don't get me wrong Im not saying a few longer posts aren't okay, sometimes they are called for but just to add words to make it long isn't necessary either.

I joined here because it's a forum for seniors, not a forum for writers ....there are plenty of those.

12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Words are valuable for sure and I understand their importance with bots and spiders, but I must say, I've learned a lot from videos people have posted too, not to mention the enjoyment, laughter, and smiles I receive from humorous stuff (laughter and smiling are medicine for the soul as we all know). When I post a video, I try to remember to say something about it first or at least introduce it.

Sometimes people are tired or hurting, stressed, or depressed when they come here…they just want to be fed light hearted things or listen to some of the incredible music choices people have posted here. Without that pleasure, and an imbalance of serious stuff, I probably wouldn't be here because I'm kind of a visual learner and I also need smiles everyday….a lot :):):):):)

Maybe I shouldn't have revealed that.
    Now everyone is going to get all serious so I'll just leave already:D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I do not think that Ken was suggesting that we have to write posts of any certain length, @Chrissy Page . Some of us are just naturally more "wordy" when we write than others are. It would be hard for me to write posts that we only a sentence or so long, at least most of the time. (Maybe I am just a " Virtual Chatterbox"? )
    Sometimes, we have to say more in order to get across the message we are writing, and sometimes, we only need a couple of words to do that. Just like in regular conversation.
    Truthfully, I do not like reading posts that just go on forever, either, even though I sometimes write some of them. I try to hit a happy medium between rambling on about something, and not saying enough that people know what I am talking about.
    Oh, dear.....here I go again.........

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's not too long, Yvonne! :) just right.

Ruby Begonia and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree with all that's been said regarding long-winded posts. Paragraphs and white space help immensely!!

I too enjoy this forum for the friendships, fun, laughs and creativeness here. :)