What Do Forums Need?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The obvious answer to this question is that forums need members, but membership numbers do not, in themselves, constitute a forum.

Forums need posts, made up of threads and replies. Yet, if a large number of these threads simply regurgitate stuff that has been discussed on multiple other forums there is a problem, and if a large percentage of the posts are one or two lines of text that doesn't say much of anything, there is a bigger problem, and this problem leads back to the first point that was made: forums need members.

Typically, people find forums through search engines, and search engines index forums according to their content. When forum threads are about things that are already being discussed in several other forums, the search engines have no reason to include that forum in its index, since it has already indexed forums that discuss the same things. When forum posts are only one or two lines long, the search engines have difficulty determining what the discussion is supposed to be about, or in deciding that it is worthwhile including it in its index.

Please consider this when you are posting. Being a new forum, we particularly need people to be able to find us in the search engines and, when they do, they have to be able to find something here that is different, and hopefully better, than what they have seen on other senior forums.

Sometimes, in conversation, there is no need for a lengthy reply, but please remember that the short ones don't help to bring new visitors to the forum.

The same is true of threads that don't actually say anything. In another forum that I run, someone posted a thread asking whether other members preferred a PC or a Mac. Well, if anyone cared, we could put up a poll for that. A better opening post might have stated the type of computer used by the person opening the thread, and discussed why they are using that type of computer rather than another, whether it was because of price, familiarity, performance, or some other reason.

Later discussion might focus on the differences between a PC and a Mac, and the reasons why someone might want to switch from one to another. What programs or features do you miss from your former operating system, and have you found suitable replacements for them in the new operating system? Otherwise it could be handled with a poll.

Most any topic of interest to a member of this forum is an appropriate topic, and they certainly don't all have to serious, intellectual, or heady. If it seems like it might be fun, post it, but then be willing to say something about it.

Person to person conversations often don't involve a lot of words, but one of the differences between a verbal conversation and a forum conversation is that a forum conversation requires more words. No one can see the shrug of your shoulder or your facial expressions, so words are of great import.

Forums are like any other website. The more useful and well written their content, the better they are likely to do in the search engine results pages. Entertainment is useful so, once again, I am not suggesting that discussions have to be serious, although a few of those never hurt. Entertain yourselves, but do it with words.

Thanks for listening to me.

2. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Makes a lot of sense to me, Ken. I am happy that I found this thread as it opens the door for my thoughts. I notice that on every page you have a twitter logo. Perhaps if you posted a thread signifying it's importance for the forum, it may bring some new people around. I was too involved yesterday getting around, but when I am finished posting to day I will start tweeting a few of my threads.

Ken Anderson and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Other things that can be important are the headlines to threads. Good headlines are informative, and can attract visitors, and help the thread to place in the search engine for long-tail keywords. For example, a thread title like, "Have You Seen This?" doesn't give any information about what the thread is about, and is unlikely to come up in searches on whatever the thread is actually about; or, if it does come up, searchers are less likely to click on it because it doesn't say what it's about. Even within the forum itself, I know that, when I am not in my own forum, I seldom click on threads whose headings don't give me any idea as to what the thread is about.

To clarify something that I said in my last post, every topic does not have to be unique to this forum. In most cases, this would be impossible. Particularly, in a seniors forum, we might talk about things from our lives and just because you may have talked about it in some other forum, that does not mean that you can't tell the same story here -- just tell it differently. If people in another forum found it interesting, it is likely that those in this forum will do likewise, particularly if you can add perhaps another perspective or twist to the same story.

The problems come into play when you tell the same story in much the same way, since Google will view that as duplicate content, and too much duplicate content can lead to the search engines discounting everything coming from this forum.

4. Ken Anderson

Are we undergoing a word shortage? I am wondering, as I am noticing that words appear to have been rationed lately, with a flurry of posts that are only one or two lines long. I am particularly concerned over what affect this might have on cultures throughout the world, particularly the English, who have traditionally used vowels as if they grew on trees.

Or could it be that, with the Obama Administration taking control of the Internet, we will be charged a tax for every word that we use? Or perhaps we shall have to pay for our communications by the word, reminiscent of telegraphs.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I see that you are not the well informed person I previously believed you to be Ken. Did you not know that a deal was struck between O'Bama and Reader's Digest that limits all written forms of thought?
    Reader's Digest took Webster's Unabridged Dictionary and came up with the Condensed Version. It was a trial program initiated by Obama and if found successful he will give the Constitution to the Digest and see what they can do to it to shorten it up a little. More or less, they will be trying to modify or remove the first four amendments and make it look like they are still really there by everyone but the president.

If found totally successful, all written forms of communication will be limited to 1 sentence per paragraph. So, with that said, I imagine what you are experiencing are people who are practicing the new form of writing.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

The REAL reason that people are only writing short sentences.........
    (This research took me a while; but I am reasonably sure that i have found the answer to your question, Ken.)

7. Ken Anderson

More than anything, and what is best for forums in general, is when forum members talk about the things that matter to them. Whatever our reasons for being here, if we can talk to one another as people, even though we don't know one another in real life and, in all probability may never meet, everyone gains from the experience. Although we may live in different parts of the world, when people enter into conversation with one another, they form a community.

Statistically, in most forums, ninety percent of the people who visit the forum never post anything meaningful, with most posting nothing at all. Nine percent contribute meaningful posts sometimes, and only one percent contribute actively, and are responsible for nearly all of the action that takes place in the forum. We're probably a little higher on the contributory scale here because this forum is new, and we haven't yet accumulated so large a percentage of non-contributors. By meaningful, I am not referring to posts that have the ability to change the world, but simply to those that prompt others to join into a genuine conversation.

In regular conversations, we are more apt to know something about the person we are speaking to, plus we have body language, facial expressions, and other communication tools. Lacking these things in online discussions, we are more dependent on words, although it's sort of nice to use them in regular conversations too. The use of words have the added advantage of bringing more people to the conversation since they are indexed by search engines, sending people here who are interested in the sorts of conversations that are taking place here. Of course, this only takes place if we use words.

"The two words 'information' and 'communication' are often used interchangeably, but they signify quite different things. Information is giving out; communication is getting through." -- Sydney J. Harris.

8. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Is this from your experience or stats that you read someplace? i don't doubt it's true.. I guess it is just startling to me. I have been online for decades now, in forums, chats and all sorts of places so i had to take a few moments to really think about how I use forums.

Most often I end up on a forum because I have a specific question I need an answer to, for example if I have a question about something going on with my car I usually end up in a car forum someplace. There is no reason to post because the question and answer is already there for me. Hopefully there are pictures that help me even more. I seldom feel the need to join but I might book mark the forum if it is really good. The next largest commented area I see is the news, for the most part these seem to be troll havens so I don't comment at all.

Then occasionally I find places that I like and I will join and share in the conversation for awhile. In my experience here is what seems to happen, it seems eventually at some point, it could take months, it could take years... there is a point in the growth where all of a sudden people just join like crazy and then something nasty seems to always happen. Eventually there seems to always end up being a split in the membership and I just don't always understand why. Suddenly a new forum or chat room develops and neither is never the same. It is kind of sad actually. I hope that never happens here. It's almost like people come with the intent just to steal away users.

9. Peter Remington

Peter Remington Veteran Member
    Registered

The internet can be a very nasty place, alright. I've often been attacked and ruthlessly maligned by total strangers and for no good reason but that anonymity appears to breed contempt. I've watched groups bubble and eventually burst over the most artificial and absurd of manufactured 'differences'. And I've always been puzzled by the 90% silent lurker rule of virtually any site. What's the point? I keep at it only because this constitutes my only source of human contact but the stresses have most often far outweighed the rewards.

10. Ken Anderson

It's something I've read, but it rang true because of other forums that I have administered. Once they've been around long enough to rank for topics in search engines, there are a lot of people lurking, and that's not counting the robots and, even among those who create an account, most don't post or don't post much or often. Once a forum becomes successful, I have no doubt that there are those who come because they intend to start their own similar forum, and to take away as many people from the base as possible. Usually this is accomplished by stirring something up, either out of whole cloth or by making a big deal about something that shouldn't be such a big deal. Not to equate a forum with a church but something similar often occurs in churches.

11. Jorge Ruiz

Jorge Ruiz Veteran Member
    Registered

Hey all.

I've been a "lurker" for a couple of weeks, just too busy with the day job and trying to get my own website up and running (it is not a forum! ha.)

This discussion did animate me to jump in with a few words, though it may take a couple of posts to get all of the ideas out without going all running-off-at-the-mouth (or the fingers). The first point I wanted to make is about content, both on forums and on the Internet in general.

I've been writing content for Internet since the mid '90s. Up until certain changes in how Google indexes pages around 2011 or 2012, there were a lot of sites available that promised people bucks for creating content. Some of these sites were simple question/answer formats; others tried to open a platform for the sharing of "knowledge" through short article writing. Right around the changes at Google (for reasons that Ken has outlined in his first posts-- lack of meaningful "key wording", repetition of material on different sites, etc), there came about the concept of "content farm": a very apt way to describe these platforms that encouraged every Tom, Dick and Harry to share their knowledge, with or without the basic knowledge behind writing.

Something that became clear, though, was that writing for Internet was not at all like the writing that most of us here on this forum might have learned at school. No "five paragraph essays" or "bibliographies" for the Internet. These so-called articles had to have single-idea paragraphs that usually did not go over four or five sentences; they had to be broken up with H2, bold headers. There had to be bullet lists. The material had to be useful. Perhaps one of the worst suggestions was that writing had to be done at an 8th grade level on the F-K (Flesch - Kincaid, get those minds out of the gutters, folk!) because the average Internet reader would not have the patience for levels above that.

These concepts of content production for the Internet continue to be predicated, despite Google pretty much successfully closing down most of the more obvious "content farms"-- and this despite efforts on the part of the farms to "clean up their acts" by implementing quality control (editorial, that is). Large sites such as Helium and Yahoo, Hub Pages and Bubblews all suffered, some shutting down, others barely living through it all. What has suffered, though, is the idea that we can actually develop our ideas for others and that there will be those others out there who want to read more than the 140 characters a "tweet" affords us.

As I said, I've more to say, but will break the posts up so that they don't involve too much scrolling down (another Internet writing sin! ha).

peace,
    revel.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Jorge Ruiz

Jorge Ruiz Veteran Member
    Registered

More thoughts, then.

On the use of words, I wrote a piece for a forum back in 1995, called "fingertone". It was in response to some seemingly exaggerated reactions to words left by other members, I think the topic of the thread was "homeschooling" or "institutionalized education". I was surprised by the reactions, how acid they could be and I posited that many of those reactions came precisely from not being able to correctly interpret the "tone of voice" (and from there, the coined word "fingertone") of the participant.

One of the things I learned from that early forum experience was that one should be very careful when addressing another member in a forum directly. I tend to follow a self-made rule of almost always writing about the subject at hand and usually avoid naming others unless I particularly agree with something they have said. There seems to be a type of forum personality that automatically snaps when their name has been used, even when the comment is something good. I've received a "you, would, wouldn't you" when I've written "I agree with Tom, Dick or Harry", followed by a string of words that could only be described as vitriol. Best not to engage with that type of participant.

Unfortunately, it is exactly that type of participant who can turn an otherwise interesting discussion into a name-calling match. Even the most even-tempered participants will let down their hair, then everyone seems to gang up on the guy who is misbehaving then someone writes a PM to the moderator and maybe the trouble maker gets his hands slapped or maybe a temporary ban from posting. However, in the end, as with misbehaving kids, the best rule is to ignore, ride the tide of increased bad behavior, not dump more fuel onto their personal fires (for some reason it's called "flaming"!) and celebrate quietly when the behavior comes under control again.

It's curious, here's a short list of the kinds of forums I've participated in:

• English teacher forums
    • General education forums
    • Favorite author forums
    • Bereaved people forums (one of my first!)
    • Webmaster forums
    • Writers' forums
    • Language forums
    Could you guess which of those forums was the most likely to get "nasty"? The English teacher forum. Who would have thought it? Not only one of those, but it seems that almost any forum with English as Second Language teachers on it will have some regular riff-raffing going on that involves the jumping in of a moderator and threads being locked down. We're a feisty lot, we ESL teachers (let's blame it on Krashen and Chomsky!)

peace,
    revel.

Admin and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

A look through any of my sites would show you that I have never ascribed to the idea that less is better when it comes to writing. Oh, adding words just for the sake of adding words is pointless but if there is more to be said, I have always leaned toward saying it, and my sites have never suffered for it. There are differences in online versus on-paper publishing, of course, and I do break paragraphs up even when the context doesn't suggest it, knowing that long paragraphs are difficult to read online. Despite all of the SEO warning about long, text-based pages, the search engines have always loved words and as long as the textual content remains focused, more words generally do better than few. Where people often go wrong in writing for the Internet is moving on to introduce a new topic.

A new topic requires a new page. If it is closely related to the previous topic, it should be created as a subpage (child), otherwise as a parallel (sibling) page. The best SEO for forums is when topics are grouped together, as they are here, when the title of each thread introduces the topic of the thread, and when the first post is long enough to further define the topic. In other words, "Wait Until You See This," is not a good thread title because it doesn't tell you what "this" is.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  14. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Very interesting. I am not too sure where I am in the scales. I start a post when I feel that it is interesting and sometimes they are and sometimes not. It tales a bit of time to discern who is interested in what. I also try to respond to all that comment on my posts as that. for me, is the way to develop internet friendships.

15. Ken Anderson

If you are speaking, with knowledge and/or experience, about something that is interesting to you, then it is interesting. In fact, even in threads that don't garner a lot of replies, it doesn't necessarily follow that people did not find it to be of interest. Sometimes, I'll read something with interest, yet have nothing useful that I could add to the conversation.