What Did You Want To Be When You Grew Up, And Did You Meet That Goal?

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Babs Hunt, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Make a survey of children's amibition and surely you will come up with doctor as first in the list. I was a typical grade school pupil who also have that ambition like my sister. But when I finished high school, an engineering course caught my fancy. When I passed the entrance exam for industrial engineering, I did not hesitate to pursue the course which I successfully finished. That degree was my passport for a job in the bank as a methods analyst trainee.

My sister took up nursing because of budgetary issues and she is now a nurse in a government hospital. Her husband was her classmate in nursing school who continued his studies to be a doctor. He is a physician in a public health center. By the way, my mother has an obsession for a doctor so she was just glad when my sister's boyfriend passed the licensure exams for doctors (and later on he married my sister).

2. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Active Member
    Registered

When I was in high school, i remember I wanted to be a movie director :) Funny but I had that illusions. Of course, that was an unrealized dream as I ended up as a college librarian but my original interest was in the behind the scenes work of a director.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

I wanted to be a vaudeville entertainer, unfortunately it was long gone by the time I grew up :p

4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I wanted to do 3 things be in the Peace Corps, A foreign correspondent and or an Airline Stewardess. I have done none of them,. Although I once interviewed for Vista. I am not sure I would have liked it though, I had a friend who was a volunteer coordinator for a jail in North Carolina through Vista, and she quit after 8 months. She said the stress was unbearable. IF I ever go overseas to teach English,not sure if it will ever happen..but who knows? I guess writing a blog on my experience will be my foreign correspondent thing.

5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I was a kid I wanted to be a soldier. When I was a teen health issues killed that plan. I loved rural life, and thought being a farmer would suit me fine, but knew a farm was beyond my reach.
    Dad had just finished the house we built in town when he met a guy who had a small farm, but wanted to retire to a house in town. Dad showed the man our house and he loved it. We looked over his farm and I loved it. Behind the house and barns were steep wooded hillsides. The tillable land was in front across the road. Dad's plan was to keep his town job and let me run the place. Mom had other ideas. She didn't want to give up her newly built house in town for a drafty old farmhouse.
    And that was that. I had no other plans and spent the rest of my life drifting from job to job to place to place. I regret the hardship my restlessness caused my family.

Chris Ladewig and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Well-Known Member
    Registered

In High School, wanted to work in a surf shop and just build boards. Back of my mind, knew it wasn't gonna happen.
    What happened was the Military. Easy choice or no choice ( Draft ). So, yea met one of my goals.

7. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wanted to be the sexiest women to ever live. Like Susan Hayward. HAHA HAHA

8. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Chris Ladewig - I agree Chris, she was a stunner
    Like a lot of those lovely ladies, their beauty did not achieve very much where 'love' is concerned
    Sad - but true
    But then, looks don't come into matters of the heart do they, the 'person' is what matters :)

Tim Burr likes this.
  9. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Well-Known Member
    Registered

Agree. Timeless Beauty and Class.
    Youth Crush for me was Grace Kelly and Lauren Bacall.
    And Joni Mitchell. Her songs and approach to life, touched me.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Susan Hayward and Natalie Wood for me - oh ! and Deborah Kerr :D

11. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wanted to be a doctor...or marine biologist...well those were far fetched dreams.

12. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't remember giving any thought to what I wanted to do or be. What was important in my family, growing up, was having a job, being employed, even as a teenager. The Korean war broke out when I was seventeen and I enlisted in the Army and served fourteen months in that part of the world. I have more or less, unfortunately, drifted through life by the seat of my pants. I will try to do better next time.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  13. Patsy Faye

Registered

Nice avatar Bill - smashing in fact, you're showing us all wonderful faces of Bill :)
    @Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs likes this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thank you kindly, ma'am.

15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs
    Ditto here. During my 20s I vowed to carefully stash away savings in investments, as I truly believed the rumors Social Security would go broke. Know what? I failed miserably. Were it not for S/S today I might likely be a bum. I did, however, never get a cent in welfare of any kind. Even during the one time in dire need, living in a cabin I built in the woods of Northern Arizona, we applied for Food Stamps. Questioned about being turned down, the office Supervisor, a most well-fed Mr. Sandoval, had the utter audacity to tell me my skin was the "wrong" color! Had I been Native American, he said, he would have been forced to provide us with aid. So, we went about surviving by raising rabbits and chickens for food, had a milk goat, some monthly income from a Second we had carried for the guy who bought our house. That paid the car payment, and payment on the 30 acres we had bought, no phone, power, or water. Lived thusly a year, when I was offered my job back. Should never have taken it........
    Frank

Bill Boggs likes this.
  16. Bill Boggs

Registered

Sometime hindsight is 20/20, sometime damn if you do and damnded if you don't. I've chased a lot of rabbits to make that dinner stew.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  17. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs
    We had a momma rabbit, and a papa, I think she had 8 or 9 babies at a time. It took steely-nerves to kill those helpless rabbits when the time came.
    Frank

18. Billie Lane

Billie Lane Member
    Registered

I wanted to be an Artist and I eventually made it in my forties after returning to University as a mature student.
    Never give up your dreams.
    It may take a while to achieve them but you can't control every little circumstance in your life.
    if you want something badly enough you can achieve it ,but sometimes it does require tenacity and determination.

Ina I. Wonder and Bill Boggs like this.
  19. Bill Boggs

Registered

I've always just tried to make ends meet, get ahead just a little, never really set serious goals. In the vernacular of business, that's failure.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  20. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Were you happy doing what you did? Because in my book if you were happy...that's success. :)

21. Bill Boggs

Registered

Well, no, not always, because I always took whatever job I could find or get not something I might like to do. But I'll tell you what, since I retired in '96, its been the best days of me life. I have accumulated more, saved more than in all my working days. Of course during those working days we raised a family.

22. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Raising a Family in my opinion is the greatest success you can ever achieve in my book Bill. It's nice though that since you have done that you have been well compensated or blessed and can enjoy the rest of your life. :)

23. Bill Boggs

Registered

Yeah, it is. My only compensation has been a social security check each month but what I learned well in those working years is how to manage what you have and how to live on what you make. I really wish the school systems taught personal finance, i.e.. how to manage a budget, a checkbook, make saving a part of the whole, how to handle personal taxes at least until they got complicated.

24. Bill Boggs

Registered

"I just dropped in to see what condition your condition was in."

I like that, something poetic about it

25. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

At one time Home Economics Classes actually taught many of these things. Boys usually did not take that class. But I felt and still feel that personal finance including all you have mentioned is real life and it needs to be taught in High School before they enter the real world on their own. I really feel that besides parents spoiling their children rotten with so much expensive material things that they cannot afford if they leave home, kids today that become young adults do not want to leave home because they do not know anything about personal finance or what it costs to live in the world. So they just don't want to leave a home where everything is handed to them on a silver platter and they can sleep as late as they want too. :)

Bill Boggs likes this.