What Car Maintenance/repair Have You Done?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Von Jones, Oct 23, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My 1959 Austin Healey had a generator. You manually adjusted the charging thresholds (Start/Stop) with a screwdriver and a feeler gauge. It also had knee-action shocks, like an old Model A:

[​IMG]

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I only do the mechanics I have to do for whatever reason. I dislike working on most engines, but now I have a son who is a very professional mechanic who does the heavy lifting for me. As far as batteries go, the generators have been replaced by alternators and rectifiers, so they work better at low speeds. We have two on-road vehicles now: a 2012 Toyota Camry and a 1994 Doge Ram 1500. There is no maintenance to be done on the Toyota, as we bought a lifetime oil change when we bought it and nothing other than a few filters and a battery have needed to be done since then. The ol' truck has been a different matter. My son replaced a steering box and tie rod ends, as well as the exhaust system. I have been getting the oil changed commercially, but the place I went to changed hands and the service now is terrible, so I do the oil changes myself. If I can find another place I like to do the oil changes and lube, I will have them do it, as crawling around under the vehicle is tough with the bad back.

More on batteries. My wife's car turns the lights off, etc., but the old truck does not. If you accidentally leave the lights on when exiting the vehicle in winter, the battery runs down and then freezes, thus voiding the warranty. My brother (whose wife just died) discovered while she was in treatment that her car (Toyota Rav 4) would run the battery down in a heated garage while sitting due to the parasitic drain, but his Honda Ridgeline did not. According to him, Honda has a system that will shut off all power if the vehicle is idle for a period of time. He said the only down side was that it took about a minute for the car to reprogram itself when the key is inserted. It downloads radio setting, GPS info, etc. from a zip drive thing and resets everything back to where it was. Kinda cool, huh? Does anyone else know about this feature? Perhaps it was sold to him as an option, but he is pretty sharp and custom-orders his vehicles.

The tractor is another thing. Wife won't address it and she also won't mess with any small engines, especially any with a pull start, so if I die, most of those may be sold or given away.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My handiman is an interesting critter who can fix anything unless he wants an engine or other part of my equipment. Then he says he can't fix it. I don't think he wants my Matrix.
    I had a VW rabbit with a battery drain I took to a dealer almost every other day. They could not find anything wrong with it. I lost so much work! My boss took it to an old farmer friend. I told him I got mad at the car and jumped on it and hit it and it started right up that day.
    The old guy kept the car two days, gave it back to me and said, there was a loose nut that turned microscopically and shorted the car out then jiggled back. It was under warrantee but the car could not be fixed by trained technicians. Just this old guy in a garage full of old parts.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.
  4. John Brunner

My 2005 GMC has had battery drain issues, but I think I caused them using an electric jump starter one morning. I went through a period of a few years where I would pull a couple of fuses every night and then put them back in the next day when I needed to go to work. I finally took it in to the dealer and they replaced the door/window control panel that resides in the driver's arm rest. It was fine for several years, and then the same problem came back. Since I now have a car, the truck sits for weeks without my driving it, so I yank the 2 fuses...it's not gone back in for repairs.

I had a 1959 Austin Healey and my wife at the time had a 1961 Austin Healey. Her car hated me. It would break down at the most inopportune time. This one time it would not idle down...the RPMs never got below 1,500. This was the dead of winter. I worked on it after work for days, all bent over under the tiny hood in the cold darkness, disconnecting all the throttle cables & linkages, trying to figure out what was wrong.

On the 3rd night I got so angry I grabbed the [side draft] carbs and shook the %@*$&! out of them as I cursed the damned thing. Well, as I yanked the carbs & intake manifold towards me, the RPMs increased. As I pushed it away from me, the RPMs decreased. Turns out that the intake manifold had worked loose and there was a vacuum leak. I tightened the thing down and it was fine. I went back inside and told her I fixed it, all proud of my superior diagnostic skills.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Registered

One of my favorite tools is a bung hammer. You can hit things but not hurt them too badly.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  6. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was up early yesterday to go get gas and a quart of oil and trans oil for the old Truck. It cranked fine during one of the 19 degree mornings and yesterday altho warmer it cranked normal. So I got my gas and drove about a half a block to my PO and went inside to get some nfo for mailing a return of that dead motherboard I have been housing for 81 days. I came back out and turned the key on my Truck and it made that old clicking noise of walk you sucker ! I still had to shop because I was out of everything at home and the cats were getting nervous. I got a jump at the PO and drove another two blocks to the store and went in and loaded up on stuff and I wasn't worried about getting another jump due to so many people at the store. I came on home and parked and this morning I felt so bad I got up but by the time 7:30 rolled around I had to go back to bed. My knees just can't take it any more and I rested until 11 and saw it was pretty outside so I went out and did some diagnosing on the cranking problem.

I had bought a new 9volt battery for my meter so I checked my voltage at the battery and it was at 12.6, not good but enough to crank. I didn't mention that I went to the PO a second time to get that package off and just left the Truck running while I did that. So I took my ground cable loose at the alternator bracket where I have it attached and used a bondo file to file it down really clean on both sides of the connector. I also gave the alternator bracket a really good filing because originally from the factory all those brackets were powder coated when new and that does not give a good ground at all. Originally all chevy motors used a bolt stud on the cylinder head until much later. It was a good galvanized bolt stud that always made good contact and never rust. So yeah that was 42 years ago and was probably tossed at 2 years old. I rechecked my voltage after getting the belt tight and cable cleaned up. I was at 14.6 idling and that must have been because the battery was down over a volt so it was working fine and the only way to find out if it is fixed is to drive somewhere a few miles away and turn it off and see how it acts. You would think when getting 14.6 volts the battery would come up very quickly. The starter and alternator are both one year old so I feel pretty sure just the poor grounding and the cold weather slowly brought the charge down, especially considering I don't drive far enough to get my charge up after cranking. My store and post office is like two blocks from home. I had a hard time keeping my battery up several years ago while I was working due to not driving much. I had 3 batteries replaced under warranty and all 3 slowly died at a year old, probably just a sorry brand.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

Something [me] happened to the electrical system of my truck back in 2012 or so, and a parasitic draw was introduced. The truck could sit for a few days in warm weather and start up fine, but it could not sit overnight in the chilly weather or the battery would be completely dead. There are a couple of fuses I pull when it's parked and then reinstall when I wanted to go anywhere. After a few years of doing this, I took it to the dealer who traced the issue to a short in the door lock/window control panel in the driver's armrest. They replaced it and I was good for several years. Then it started again, and I'm back to pulling fuses, which is no big deal because I have a full-time vehicle and only keep this for truck stuff (like taking my garbage & recyclables to the county drop-off spots.) So even if there were no electrical problem, I'd still likely pull the fuses because I only drive the truck every few weeks.

I hate vehicular electrical issues. I used to have an Austin Healey with a dynamo (generator) and a manually-adjustable voltage regulator. THAT was easy to work on.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  8. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

My Brother was telling me about one of his road trips coming back to San Diego from Ohio, he and another friend were driving an old 50s car with the 6 volt generator and it went bad somewhere in Arizona. They just happened to find an old car abandoned in a junk yard that had an identical generator and they bolted it on and it still worked. I have seen some 80s vehicles sold by chevy that would produce some very strange things happening when there was a blown fuse, it would cause a problem on an opposite circuit driving the repairman crazy. My old truck is looking bad today but it is still in exceptional shape to be old as it is. It still drives like a new one and I replaced shocks last year. I had checked the ball joints just a couple years ago but the 3/4 ton heavy duty chassis just don't lay over when you have a bad ball joint, they just keep on going. That truck and all like it were capable of towing a 3 axle trailer hauling a Case 520 backhoe. It was the choice of most contractors until the Dodge Cummings came along. The first year it could tow 16 thousand pounds. When Dodge first tried to purchase it from Cummings they turned Dodge down on the offer and told them they did not think their chassis could holdup to the torque produced. Dodge insisted and told Cummings to worry about the engine and they would worry about the chassis. It worked out for Dodge and Cummings. I have less love for the Ford flyby wire Diesels they were selling 20 years ago. You could be driving down the highway and the throttle would just disappear. Everyone had to have them towed, there was a gimme in the design that when you applied the cruise control the truck would give you enough throttle to limp in but nobody knew about it. There is zero physical connection for the throttle, it is truly flyby wire.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I forgot to mention, if you have a test light and are having issues with the battery going dead, you can disconnect either post pos or neg and put one end of the meter to the battery and the other between the meter and open cable end. If that test light comes on you have a draw on the system. It takes about 3 volts to light the test light so it makes it easier to test when you pull fuses to check circuits. All you have to do is take a look at the light or even use some longer wire to do the same connection nearer to you.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

When I had my Austin Healey, I hit every junkyard between DC and Richmond (100 miles) scavenging parts "just in case." I drove all the way south on I95 and came back north on Route 1. Many of the suspension parts were interchangeable between the Sprites and the MG Midgets...I swapped my front end out with one from a '72 Midget so I could have disc brakes. When I sold it, the buyers (husband & wife) got cases of spare parts.

I still have one of the unique parts kicking around...the tach was cable-driven off of the generator via a gear-reduction unit. The flange on the rear of the generator was threaded and the reducer screwed on to it. Then the tach cable attached to the output side. If you were driving down the road and the tach dropped to zero yet the engine was still running, you knew the fan belt had broken.

[​IMG]

11. John Brunner

The problem is that these things have a built-in security system, so there's always a draw. A mechanic did what you recommended and told me that the draw was from the radio or the body control module (those are the fuses I pull.) The security system is embedded in the radio, and everything feeds through the body control module (dome lights, door closed/locked status, auto-lock when in Drive, etc.) I took the guy's advice and had the dealer replace the body control module (only the dealer can reprogram the security system ad the remote fob), and when that didn't work I told them that I'd get out of the way and they could diagnose the problem.

12. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I hated when GM started hiding all the relays behind the center of the dash and the key wouldn't crank unless all were charged. The fuel pump was locked down if there was an issue with any wiring, it was built like that to make the insurance companies happy. Ford had some serious issues with their Thunder birds in early 80s, they failed to design a fail safe in their ignition systems and if you lost ignition you would still have pressurized fuel flooding the crankcase. They also had mechanical vacuum pressure regulators that would have a diaphragm fail while engine idling and the driver away from their vehicle, it too would fill the crankcase full of gas. They weren't satisfied with that and got into burning your house down with inferior ignition wiring that would start the fire in your garage while you were asleep. ;0) I was once a true Ford lover but things just got worse by the year and I was able to see first hand what was happening. I even worked on a Ford that had an axle tube separate from the 3rd member because the factory didn't weld it to the 3rd member. I have seen some era changes over the decades up until I stopped working for dealers.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Registered

Had to laugh at your translation of the clicking noise. I know I have verbal exchanges with my vehicles but didn't realize the actual conversations they might be having with me.:D
    Being a mere woman,:rolleyes: I would not have driven 'somewhere' to turn the engine off to test it, as I have had electrical problems before. I might have just driven around the block or two and home to turn it off. I have two chargers, one at the farm and one at the house. I am a little paranoid about car trouble.

14. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Similar to the GM cruise control mechanism. They are hard to find today and were made by AC. Inside it looked like a watch with gears and cogs etc.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

Me, too. It comes from years and years of driving older cars and having a couple of bad experiences.