What Car Maintenance/repair Have You Done?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Von Jones, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, as I started the Jeep getting ready to leave 7:30 a.m. for the flea market I turned on the headlights. Immediately I noticed something different. After putting the Jeep in park I exited moving forward to the front end and saw that the headlight was not on. I shook my head because I hate driving in the dark. So I stepped out of my comfort zone and went on my way. It was a weird feeling being so conscience about it. How many times I have wondered why people would even drive with one headlight. Now I am one of those people. Places to go * Things to do. I did use the high beams when no other cars were coming in the other direction. So onward to Youtube...let's see if I can do this. :D

2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Me? I drive it to the shop......that's the limit of my participation.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I actually have a photographic memory. My problem is, as soon as I retrieve the information once, its gone. That ability is good for tests after cramming but not good for doing anything else. I know I have changed a headlight and it wasn't difficult, I just can't remember how to do it. I have replaced the cabin air filter but have difficulty repeating it and it is easy....
    I can check and add oil because the cap says oil on it and the dipstick ring is the same color ...

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was never much of a mechanic, but back when cars made more sense, I used to be able to replace carburetors, radiators, hoses, and the like. I could gap spark plugs and replace them, and if I thought it made sense to replace parts until whatever problem I was having went away, I could do that. Now, I don't even change tires.

5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Not much in past 60 years except changing wiper blade. I did some brake jobs in my teens.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Years ago, I'd change my own oil, with an Oil Change Kit/Box from Pep Boys. I've changed a starter, generator, a hose/belt, replace spark plugs, changed battery, changed headlight and once, took a carburetor out/had it rebuilt by a company and re-installed it. Have never done a brake job, tore apart an engine and rebuilt or anything else that was heavy-duty.

Today, have AAA (Automobile Club) for tire change, battery check/change and towing. I can check/add oil/antifreeze/brake fluid, change a blown fuse, change battery and replace blown bulb in tail/brake light, but that's it. Everything else, have to rely on a mechanic to do. With an onboard computer, I don't want to do something wrong and mess that thing up.

Because of how foggy our headlights got, and that we had them cleaned a couple of times, we decided to buy, and have installed, new headlights. Before changing to new ones, we had them cleaned, but didn't take very long for them to get fogged up again. I sure couldn't clean them. A lot of arm/shoulder to do that.

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, those computers in vehicles now changes everything for people who maintained their own and leveled up. It's back to square one learning all over the how-tos and what-nots and the higher costs as well. That's why I decided never to buy any vehicle with a computer. Just give me air/heat, cd/cassette player and automatic drive and I'm good.

8. Mary Stetler

Registered

You are right and Cody's post reminded me of a few more things I did. Long story about my mom's car. But I prefer to be a pitiful old lady now, when it comes to cars so someone else has to do stuff. I don't even like to clean them which I have to do this week cuz cold weather is coming and I don't clean in the winter.

Von Jones likes this.
  9. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I stopped wrenching on cars decades ago. It was fun in high school but not worth my time from college on (full time night job to pay for college, car and room & board).. Now that I have both the time and the tools, there are many other more interesting things to do.

As for computers in cars, they're old-age-enablers. They can be a great boon to seniors like me I like the way computers control the temperature in the car, especially in the winter by also heating the seat, my feet and the steering wheel. I like the way a computer coupled with radar provides active speed control, maintaining a specified distance from the car ahead. I like how a computer provides traction control and ABS. I like how a computer generates a HUD (heads up display) so I can see the essentials without taking my eyes off the road. I like how a computer keeps track of vehicles in my blind spots and alerts me to their position on the HUD. I like how computers provide information on roads, routes,traffic, nearby gas/restaurants, weather, etc. I like how computers give you an in-car phone and muisic player. I also like how computers keep track of what's going on in and with car, letting you know when something's amiss. Computers in cars are useful, not to mention making driving safer.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Registered

I still like my roll down windows, 5 speed, manual temp controls. I like the pick up for getting on the highway... wish I had rack an pinion steering but we can't have everything. My temperature controls are better than hubby's Volvo. But yes, I could like his heated seats first thing getting in, if I could just turn off the butt section after a while.

11. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

it goes to the shop..;)

12. Mary Stetler

Registered

Yes but YOU take it there you little mechanic you.:rolleyes:

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Teresa Levitt

Registered

oops...actually..my husband does...i hardly drive anymore...

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Registered

You're fired!

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  15. Teresa Levitt

Registered

ha!...those are 2 lovely little words ..now...i can just relax

John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.