What Can I Offer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Maisie Walker, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Maisie Walker

Maisie Walker Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Looking through the main threads on here I can see that its mainly for those who live in the US and being the age I am I let politics and other subjects pass me by and just try and concentrate on my every day life, what bit is left. It got me wondering what can I offer in regards of adding anything to the Seniors Club that might be of any interest and the only answer I can come up with are the true tales that I have written for my family of my life from when I first got married or the poems that I have written. I never had the tales after my marriage published.
    The tales some of which are comical takes the reader through from 1950s up to today and I honestly cant see anyone wanting to know what life was like in the UK after trying to get back on to an even keel after the war. Let me know what you think because I dont want to be a bore.
    While I am here I would like to thank Ken and other members for welcoming me. God Bless All.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome Maisie...I'm also in the UK (rural shires edge of North London) , and there are a few others too..

You wouldn't be a bore, because we're all interested in all aspects of each others' lives given this is such a small community and forum.

I don't know where you are in the Uk...but I never tire of hearing about how everyone's lives are different yet somehow remain so similar regardless of where we all live.

I'd love to hear your true tales, and poems, and I'm sure others here will too...

Looking forward to reading them :D

Maryt Hope and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The quote I raised is pretty much what we all do @Maisie Walker. I privately think of this discussion group as the "front porch" forum in that most of the conversation is something I would think people would do on some front porch on a nice day over coffee, tea or even something stronger.
    Thus far, I do not think there is anything that anyone has brought up is considered boring because someone will find some interest no matter what it is.

For instance: One of our U.K. friends, @Tom Galty, has brought up the game of Cricket which very few of we Americans know anything about but yet, I've gained enough interest to start a small study on the game. I thought quantum mechanics was tough but the terminology used in Cricket is mind boggling!
    There is also a good base whereby we know of each other's stubbed toes and trips to the market in the "good morning thread" located in Happy Talk.
    A quick perusal will reveal what everyone is doing that day, what the weather is and how people feel. @Patsy Faye is a favorite of mine and also from the U.K. and she posts pretty early each morning because of the time difference. @Terry Page is also a favorite who likes to post art pieces from around the world each morning.

Bottom line is that I do not believe that there is anything you can write that will not be of interest to someone and judging from your writing thus far, I do believe you to be an absolutely wonderful addition to our forum family. Just..........jump in wherever you wish, be at ease and have some fun..:)

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Maisie Walker ...I may be from Texas but I love all things from the UK...old or new. Welcome to a good and caring forum.:)

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Maisie, although I'm a Cockney gal I do love the Americans, we share a lot in common and I do feel at home here
    So come on Maisie gal, join us and say whatever pops into yer head - its served me well enough :p

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have several people from the UK here and, although some of the more insensitive members might make fun of the extra vowels they use, I think they get along just fine here. I know that I am interested in several eras and places other than those that I have personally experienced, and I don't think I'm alone in that.

Any topic that is of interest to you will be of interest to someone here, and I don't think I'll be found wrong in that. Once in a while, a topic will die on the vine but those are rarities.

7. Maisie Walker

Registered

Many thanks everyone. As I said I have written about my life from when I first got married and I have put them in chapters for my family to do what they want with when I am gone. It follows on from the book I had published and if Ken is in agreeance I am quite happy to put a Chapter up each day.

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

That would be you then Mr Anderson.... :p

9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha ! Made me laugh that did :p

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Maisie Walker I am very positive that you have much to offer this Forum and all its members and I'm very glad you decided to come and join us. :)

Maryt Hope and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Tattletale.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  12. Maisie Walker

Registered

Thanks folks for getting back to me and I will start putting the chapters on here under the title of Memories of Yesteryear but not quite sure where to put them. Would it be in the story and poetry section? There will be a few photos along the way so is it OK to put them on too. Remember though that the world was a different place nearly 70 years ago.
    If I get to know before I go to bed I will put the first chapter up.

13. Ken Anderson

It could go either in the Reading & Writing section, the Places I Have Lived section, or the Other Reminiscences section. If it's chapters of a book, probably the Reading & Writing section might be best.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Maisie Walker

Registered

Thanks Ken. Will go and sort it out.

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

I'm looking forward to the tales from the past. My mother died in her 30's..she would have had her 84th birthday 3 days ago if she'd lived, so I never got to hear many stories from the past from her.

Maryt Hope, Terry Page and Bobby Cole like this.