What Birds Visit Your Feeders?

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Dwight Ward, Jul 8, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's interesting the issue still seems to be ongoing from Northern Virginia northward but has waned elsewhere (at least in Virginia.) Teresa mentioned that the cicada might be a factor. I've only seen one here (100 miles southwest of DC.) What are they like up your way?

Tony Page likes this.
  2. John Brunner

Here's the latest from The Virginia Dept of Wildlife Resources on the bird feeder cautions. They have lifted the ban on feeders state-wide, asking that folks follow some guidelines:

Residents that choose to feed birds or provide water in bird baths should remain vigilant for avian mortalities and consider the following best practice guidelines:

• Clean feeders and bird baths at least once a week, then disinfect with a 10% bleach solution to prevent potential infectious disease spread between birds and other wildlife. After cleaning, rinse well with water and allow to air dry.
    • Wear disposable gloves when handling bird feeders and baths and wash your hands when finished.
    • When feeding birds, follow expert recommendations, such as those listed in Audubon International’s Guide to Bird Feeding.
    • Keep pets away from sick or dead wild birds.
    • Avoid handling wild birds. If you must do so, wear disposable gloves or place an inverted plastic bag over your hand to avoid direct contact with the bird. Dispose of dead birds in a closed plastic bag in household trash. Alternatively, you may bury bird carcasses at least 3 feet to prevent any disease transmission to scavenging animals.
    • If you observe any additional bird mortalities in Virginia, submit a mortality event to the DWR.

The article points out bird mortality events are not uncommon. Several aspects make this particular event unique, including the extensive geographic scope, the duration of reported mortalities, and the fact that the initial reports were received from an urban area. I had no idea that mass bird mortalities are not uncommon, nor did I know that they tend to start in the rural areas and not the crowded cities (where one would imagine the birds congregate in fewer/more congested spots.)

In any event--with no underlying cause yet determined--the ban is lifted here.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Tony Page likes this.
  3. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I did one more work-around which is more satisfying than the camper top. I spread seed lightly in the street in front of my house where I can see the critters from my front screen door. The mourning doves, sparrows and cardinals have been the first to visit the new feeding place. They stay a distance from each other so I feel that they're safe from passing on to each other whatever it is they're passing on.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

No birds in my feeder, because I no longer have feeders. I got rid of them because of the ugly birds that raked most of the food out of the feeders. The doves enjoyed it until the neighborhood killer cats acquired a taste for dove. With the cats failing their duties as mouse killers, I took an action and got rid of the feeders. I also got rid of my nightly opossum problem. I hate those ugly rats! I was hoping my quail families would return, but there is just too much danger since their cozy little sheltered environment was ripped out.

I do have a high cat safe water fountain for them and I get crows, magpies, doves, chickadees, finches, woodpeckers, and some new ones that I haven't identified yet. They appear to be a red-breasted finch, howbeit large for a finch. In times past I have had red-winged blackbirds, sparrow hawks, bluejays, and the RARE Pileated Woodpecker that is even rare to see in a secluded forest. I do have an occasional hummingbird that we have in three varieties. We also have starlings by the dozens certain times of years.

5. John Brunner

Don't blame the possums. The deer are the instigators. Bambi's hooves are not clean in this...

Raccoon deer feeder2.jpg

Raccoon feeder.jpg

Raccoon deer feeder.jpg

Faye Fox and Tony Page like this.
  6. Dwight Ward

Registered

Remember the super-short animation of Bambi Vs, Godzilla? Maybe we need to revive the Bambi Vs. Godzilla grudge match. Here Godzilla is saying "Me will kill Bambi Twice!"
    [​IMG]

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Crows are literally falling out of the sky and dying.

I ship you not, to my amazement on my morning walk sashaying in a once-rural but now developing area on a newly paved street, I saw a raven crash land and hit the pavement at the end of the long street. By the time I got to it, it was just doing a few kicks while lying on its side. No blood or signs of being shot. Since crows and ravens are protected birds, a shooting is unlikely. The penalty for killing a crow will get you more time than mugging someone and stealing their car.

I thought maybe poisoning because of the crows damaging crops that are ready for harvest. Scare crows don't even faze the crows around here. They sit on scarecrows heads and poop on their shoulders. All the sparkly things out in the fields have failed also. Crows are smart. They have a 5-year or more memory. They also hold grudges, but that is another story. I made peace with them many years ago.

So as I approach my place I see a very large raven sitting in my back yard. I cawed at it but no response. Only a sick crow would refuse bantering with me. Oh no I thought, the West Nile virus or the bird flu has struck again.

Once in my backyard, I saw another one, dead. I called the police to report it as once suggested by a front-page newspaper article written by a Health Dept official. They knew nothing and suggested I call the State Wildlife Dept. I did and went immediately to their voice mail and left a message. That was yesterday morning and still no callback.

I called a vet and they referred me to a Bird Rescue place. They answered promptly and said yes the bird flu, the West Nile is killing crows at an alarming rate since the mosquitos have seemed to be resistant to the chemical used to kill them this year. Just put on gloves and toss them in the garbage. I said one is still alive so that would be a violation of State wildlife law. She then suggested call another vet and have it euthanized.

By this time I am getting irritated, to say the least. I called the recommended vet and was told they could do that if I bring it in and pay for the execution. I said nope, not going to do it and I will just let it die and hope the neighborhood cats don't get it. Since most of the cats belong to a 90-year-old lady, I called her and told her to keep them inside until I could get the virally infected crows disposed of. She was grateful since her deceased husband was a State insect scientist and she knew that the CDC is a bunch of lying dogs and yes, pets can get West Nile and spread it to humans. In one case where a human population got it, the death rate was 56%. Not impressive odds for a 90-year-old.

So, to make a long story longer, I called another vet friend and she said just use a shovel and put them in the garbage can. They recommend bagging them, but her knowing what a rebel I am, suggested to not bag them, and maybe if the sanitary workers that sort thru garbage looking for recyclables see enough dead crows, maybe someone will start addressing this problem.

Ever since Covid stole the spotlight no one give a flying frig about crashing crows, a PROTECTED bird that wasted millions of taxpayer dollars with studies and research and connected the spread of bird flu to pets from crows. It was once a big deal.

Last evenings living bird is still alive this morning. Everyone was sure it would die or fly off by now or the cats would get it. Nope, it is still out there alive and sick, and taxpayer dollar-funded bird rescue isn't going to come and get it. I can't kill it but I can toss it in my garbage can alive. I don't need to mask but it is suggested I wear latex gloves.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh my not again! We have had a crow hanging here for about 6 or 8 years. We feed her mediim priced dog food now.She had 2 peeps who we try not to feed so they wil keep hunting .We only feed PrettyBird[yea we named them] but sometimes her offspring aka Nikki and Clucker Jr. grab the food.
    I don't know what to do anymore. How long can we ge the food. She caws everydat till she gets her food.

I hate to hear about another plaque hitting the wildlife along with us humans.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I cannot find an update on this bird pathogen advising that we take down our feeders (generally an east coast thing.) All my searches yield are articles from spring/summer of 2021. Does anyone know if there are current concerns, aside from the avian flu?

Here's last year's Audubon article. Their lack of follow up is frustrating.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

No I haven't heard anything but did read that bird baths are not a good idea, don't know .

11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

That Audubon article says, they're basically recommending social distancing for birds. :)

My bird feeder is restricted to small birds only, bluebirds or smaller. They never seem to congregate. Rarely more than one at a time. Strange. :confused:

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

We have noticed a reduction in our wildlife including birds. The ones that use to stop by on their way up north no longer do so much now.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  13. Dwight Ward

Registered

I've been curious about that myself but haven't heard anything new.

I already have hummingbirds !!!

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We had a goldfinch at our feeder a few days ago. An American Goldfinch, I think. They may not be so uncommon, but this was the first time I've seen one at our feeder. Perhaps not coincidentally, I had a different type of birdseed in the bowl at the time.

15. John Brunner

I used to put out a thistle feeder for my goldfinches. They all flocked to it, while none of the other birds seemed to care for it. I put the thistle feeder at the other end of the yard all by itself, and the feeders with sunflower seeds, millet and dried fruits & nuts were hung together elsewhere for the other birds.

I loved watching the goldfinches fly across the yard to the thistle feeder in their "roller coaster" spurts. Quite the distinctive flight pattern.

Marie Mallery and Ken Anderson like this.