What Are Your Favorite Apps?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diane Lane, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am sitting here and imagining you doing the jumping jacks while holding your breasts so that they do not bounce, @Chrissy Cross .......way too funny ! !
    Anyway, no I do not do the cardio workout part. I just got the app to check my heart rate. I do not want it to go up high in any case. the doctor said I should keep it below 60 if I can, because when it speeds up is when it will go into a-fib.
    So, I am still swimming and doing water exercises and walking with Bobby; but nothing that will push my heart rate up.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds good Yvonne! I tried one jumping jack...nope, lol. :)

At 60? So, is my 70 bad...I'm not sure what it should be. My dr always checks it but never says anything.

With this app, it was waivering at 68-69-70 so I called it at 70.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  3. Yvonne Smith

I do not think that 70 is a problem for most people, and when my heart was working right, I was on the treadmill and at over 110 with no problems. However, after the heart went back into a-fib last fall, I can't take any chances of doing things that might push it out of sync. Even though I am on medicine (amioderone) to keep it in rhythm, I still have to be careful what I do.
    For you, it should not be a problem, and 70 is not high.
    Probably @Ken Anderson has a better answer for what a heart rate should be for a normal heart at our age. Plus, besides the heart problems, I am almost 10 years older than you are.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My ex has afib also. Think finally after all these years it's under control. It was scary I remember. In his case he could never tell it was beating at 140 sometimes...he didn't feel it. He ended up in ER and the hospital a few times.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I wouldn't worry about anything between 60 and 100 unless it varies greatly from your normal heart rate, keeping in mind that exercise will increase your heart rate. 60-100 is the average pulse rate range for adults, including seniors, while at rest. The important thing though, is whether your rate changes drastically. My normal heart rate is from 40-70, so if I have a pulse rate above that, it might something to be concerned about.

Here's what the American Heart Association has to say about target rates while exercising.

average-heart-rates.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    At 75, I note that my heart rate at rest is always below 70 bpm. I'm pleased with that, and monitor rate while walking the Riverwalk, 3 miles, where it increases no more than 10 bpm. Perhaps more importantly, I often look at my breathing rate. Years ago, my wife's Dad, a lifelong smoker, took 4 breaths for every one of mine. The intubated misfortunates we see everyday, oxygen hoses working to keep them alive, take as many as 30 breaths per minute. I am very fortunate, and feel lucky that I survive on 7 to 8. Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Respiratory rates are harder to accurately self-measure because we become self-conscious of our breathing when we know it's being measured. As a paramedic, I would pretend to still be checking the patient's pulse while I was counting the respiratory rate.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't think I've ever had that measured knowingly. As an ex smoker it's probably not great and that is what my mother eventually died from. :(

9. Yvonne Smith

I have never smoked, and always had bad lungs. I was very premature, and born to an older mother (which can cause problems in itself), and my lungs did not develop fully, which is typical of premature babies.
    Then, I have lived with someone who smoked for almost all of my life; so I am sure that my lungs are about as polluted as a smoker's lungs would be.
    Even when I was a teenager, I huffed and puffed when walking somewhere, and now it is even worse with the heart problems. I remember they checked it at the hospital when I was there; but I don't remember what the reading was.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

How is that checked? Maybe they do and I don't notice.

Just checked my pulse...65 this morning after a cup of coffee.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Not sure I have a favorite, but really use my grocery shopping app a lot. Banking app just started using few months ago is helpful.Puzzle and one game app...um oh and Nextdoor...like and use that often. I have never used phone for tv or music as I just watch tv for both thru Firestick. I check FB but ditch the app last year because it eats up way too much space.
    Have had numerous health things on phone...ditched those to .
    Aftervreading these posts perhaps I should check out some new apps...you all are making me sound like I am behind the times

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I have Nextdoor too and like it a lot. Good to know what's going on in your neighborhood.

I also don't use the app for Facebook just saved Facebook to my home screen. This is on my iPad...I might have the app on my iPhone but I seldom look at it there.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

I use the FB app, but only on the iPad because I never check any of that kind of stuff (including the forum) from my iPhone. Some of the apps, like the photo-scanning one, I have on both. I use the phone camera to scan in the photo, and then do the editing on my iPad Pro which is a lot easier for me to see what I am going.
    Some apps, like the heart rate one, I just use on the phone, although I could easily use it on the ipad, too.
    I also have the Nextdoor app; but I hate it. I have to turn the iPad sideways to read it, and I never access it from the phone, where it would be right side up.
    We have something called "see, click, fix" that is for Huntsville, and it is an app where you can report problems to the city and they pass it along to whatever department takes care of those issues. I have to use it sideways, too; but I like it anyway.

Bobby says he thinks they took my respiration with one of the little finger caps like they check oxygen level, @Chrissy Cross .

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I do get my oxygen and pulse taken with that finger cap and it wavers around 99 for oxygen and my pulse at the dr is usually 70.

15. Ken Anderson

The way we learned to do it was to. first palpate the pulse. Then, leaving your finger on the patient's pulse point, so that s/he would think we were still counting the pulse rate, secretly watch their respirations, and calculate a respiratory rate. Otherwise, once the patient knows you're counting their breathing rate, they'll change it and it will no longer be indicative of their real rate.

Later, when we got pulse oximeters, we'd pretend to be checking a pulse rate while we were actually getting the pulse rate from the pulse oximeter, and were actually checking their breathing rate.