What Are You

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Well-Known Member
    Registered

Reading a few posts where widows talk about having to watch their finances since their spouse died made me think about Life Insurance. I am 82 years old and have $75,000 of Paid Up Group Term Insurance despite being single and no one financially dependent on me. The most life insurance I ever had was $500,000 when I was married and raising a family and had $150,000 on my wife at that time. When my first wife died in 1989 she had $75,000 on her life with me as the beneficiary.
    I know all the excuses but I still can never understand some folks reluctance to purchasing ADEQUATE Life Insurance. My adult married grand mother daughter is my sole heir and primary beneficiary of my insurance.
    http:www.thoughtsandtravels.blogspot.com

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have life insurance because I don't need it, my husband had some but I used that up because I had no income for about 8 years...

My kids all have life insurance and it's a very big number...more than a million, but that's really not all that much when you consider their expenses.

In fact they have all kinds of insurance and it isn't cheap...malpractice, also their hands, etc. I forget all of it.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a Life Insurance policy too Ren. I wanted to leave my daughters and grandkids a little something when I leave my earthly home but figured cash was the best thing...that way they can use it the way they want, not how I want although part of it is set aside for them to spend some time at the beach and toss my ashes to the wind. :)

4. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No life insurance for us. My husband has some long as he works where hes at. My kids got all I had to give long time ago.
    Personal items will be distributed to them...I doubt any wealth will come of it.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wife has Life Insurance, but I don't........at least none that I know of. We've borrowed from her Life Insurance before, but now that she gets her SS each month, don't have to do that anymore.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

We have life insurance. I don't remember how much now, but enough so that one or the other of us will have time to get things in order before being hit by a loss of the other's income.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Because my husband is a smoker his life insurance policy costs us alot more and it is for less than mine is. The Insurance man told me if my husband could quit smoking for a year then his policy costs would go down too and he would be able to get a higher policy too. We both have enough coverage though to cover the necessities and leave a little for our children.

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have a $100,000 policy which I bought soon after I retired. It will no longer be affordable after I turn 77 but will not be needed. I se up my retirement pension so that my wife will still receive the full amount if I die. Our house is paid for, we have money in investments so she will be financially secure.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think my term life policy will expire before I do :) but if it does my daughters want to take over paying the higher payments and that is fine with me.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  10. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

No dependents. I don't have life insurance. I think I have had it through work which was free.