What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I've started the 3rd books in a series by Hannah Alexander (pen-name her husband and she made up out of both their names). The couple that writes these are from, and still live in Missouri, and their books are all written about fictitious folks from that area, I love them. I think I mentioned before that these are part of a genre called "cozy" mysteries. These are so interesting because they have a lot of history in them, as well as what it is like to work in the medical field. Many of their stories, probably all, are taken from real, life experiences:)

Silent-Pledge-xlg.JPG

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The Instruction Manual on how to use our new camera. Other than that, have read the book Catch Me If You Can..........darn near read the entire book in one sitting. Absolutely couldn't believe what this dude done. My wife reads her little Bible often, especially if she wakes up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. I have Daily Devotionals that I read from my Men's Bible that are very, very interesting.

Diane Lane and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I think reading gives our brains exercise, especially if you are reading things that make you think, lol;) I guess my styles are kind of silly to some, but I love to try and put clues together. I also learn something new about thing like history, ornothology (study of birds), what paramedics do, and ER doctors. So they aren't so silly, as I type this, I see they are not;)

I like all your interests, and I do read about fitness, nutrition, quite a lot, oh, and new recipes!!

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, did you like it Tom?

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been avoiding this thread. I have always consumed books like my life depended on it since I was seven. That was when I started first grade and saw my first library. Although no one knows how, but I was reading well above my age group before I started school. So I've always read as many as up to a book a day, until my son died on 2/15/'14, My son inherited my love of reading, and for most of his adult life we would read the same books and then debate their merits. I quit reading books at his death.

Well about a week ago, I decided it was time to resume my oldest passion.

My son and I had acquired a trilogy just before his death, and there is where I've decided to begin again. The author is Sonya Lee, and the books included Yellow Eyes, Menacing Eyes, and Dead Eyes.

I find that I can't read for long, but I'm ready to start reading again.

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Both of my children have my love for reading too. We share some of the same tastes in books and have read many of the same books too.

When I was visiting my son we were talking about something and I mentioned that I had just gotten a book on BookBuB about the subject and he said he just got the same book too. We thought it was funny. :)

Lately I can't get into any books for some reason. I could also read a good book in a day Ina and would love bringing home a bagful of good finds from the library. Sit down when I got home and get all excited about which book I would read first.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  7. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm still trying to wade my way through Daemon by Anthony Peake. I finished one of his books and this is the second. My husband is starting to read it so we can talk about it. I'm packing to go to LA tomorrow so I haven't read today. I just sat down here at the computer for a minute to give my back a rest.

8. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

It's certainly not a light read, but I rather like books that present a bit of a challenge. It can be a little repetitive; Japanese noble chases woman, woman succumbs to his perfumed charms, noble spots another woman, noble chases new woman, etc. People do a lot of weeping and a fair amount of dying.

One of the problems of Genji is that it covers several generations and there is an enormous cast of people. People are referred to, usually, by their rank, so it can be hard to remember just who is who. Someone who starts as a Captain may become a Counsellor, then a Commander, then might end up as His Grace or His Highness. Women are often known as This-or-that Consort or Haven, or "the lady at such-and-such a place," so you find yourself checking the notes to make sure you've got the right person.

It's certainly an intriguing insight into the lives of the aristocracy in 11th-century Japan, though you'd be hard-pressed to find anything about the lives of ordinary people. Those of us that thought modern-day Britain was class-ridden and snobbish (which it is) suddenly realise it's small beer compared to that time and place.

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder. So glad to hear your heart is opening to reading again, to me this means your heart is healing. I definitely understand what you have shared here. I have always loved reading too...and music. Even though I do not have the greatest voice I always loved to sing too..although not out in public, etc. Around my home, children, and family my voice would sing all the songs I love. But during the years of abuse with my ex "the music and singing" died in me and as much as I still loved it...nothing more would come out of my heart or my mouth. Three years into my new marriage with the one who shares my "soul" my heart heart heard and felt the music again and my mouth sung out once again in joy and gladness.
    For those of us who mourn we will be given:
    beauty for ashes.jpg

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson. One of my favorite TV series too but I have never read the books. How does the TV series compare to reading the books?

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess I'm a multi-tasker even when it comes to reading. :) Right now on my bedside nightstand is one of my Bibles and a Daily Devotional titled Come Away My Beloved. On the desk in my room are Gardening Made Simple and Better Body Management. On my coffee table are The Healthy Heart Cookbook, and Bruce & Stan's Guide to God, Guide to the Bible, and Guide to the End of the World along with another Bible. All of these books contain book marks holding my place for me. :) And although this Forum may not be a published book...I am also reading all your posts here and enjoying them all very much. Finished all my fiction books so will have to make another run to the Library after the rain lets up here in Louisiana.

Avigail David and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Menachem Begin's White Nights: The Story of a Prisoner in Russia (1940). Humorous, relateable to modern worldview, powerfully thought- provoking. I'm interested in this great leader who had been one of the most inspiring individuals who was responsible for the Zionist movement in bloody battles-- in a war of freedom , "the State of Israel has arise..." as Menachem Begin put it.

In a lot of the no-boring paperback browned pages of White Nights, I smile at Begin's wit and truthfulness.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

I read the entire sample pages of the Kindle version of the book. I'd like to find out how the brave survivors told their near-death stories.

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

After the heavy duty work entailed in reading Genji, I have resorted to a bit of 19th-century Gothic by Sheridan le Fanu, Wylder's Hand to be precise. It's very much in the mode of Wilkie Collins, which is not a bad mode to have, in my view.

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

This morning I am reading: : The Power of a Praying Nation by Stormie Omartian.