What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Amy Read

Amy Read Veteran Member
    Registered

Reading is my passion and I had no favorite reading materials in particular. When I was still younger I had invested many kind of books which I am enjoying right now. I had health books, cooking and baking books and inspirational books which I love to read again and again. At this point in our life and at our age reading will really help to make our minds buzzing!!!

2. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

If I can face it, I am going to read my own novel. I've just received a box of copies from the publisher and while I know they have done the proofreading, I'll bet that something has slipped through the net.

3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I finally finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It was good. I may look for the next one, The Girl Who Played With Fire.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I read all three of those books but for the life of me I can't remember the last two except to think , 'it's a shame the author didn't live to see them published'.

I just finished a little book, "When the Emperior WasDevine," about a Japanese family during their incarceration during WWII. It was sad and sorta fizzled at the end, adding, for me, to the sadness.

Denise Evans and Ruby Begonia like this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I'm about halfway through Michael Connelly's 9 DRAGONS.

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm about halfway through Joe Hilley's Electric Beach, which is a Mike Connolly Mystery. I'm amazed that I found it at the dollar store, but I think they sometimes do that to get people hooked on series' and entice them to buy the rest of the books and others by the same author. I'm only halfway because I only read it when I'm taking my baths. And, it worked, because I'll probably look for the others in the series, as well as some others by Joe Hilley. electric beach.jpg

Denise Evans and Sheldon Scott like this.
  7. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I picked this up yesterday and am enjoying it quite a bit! tmp_7502-51PSE02HX7L._SX364_BO1_204_203_200_-682571442.jpg

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll have to take a look at that, Ruby. I like books like that.

Denise Evans and Ruby Begonia like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have about quit reading fiction except for a monthly or bimonthly western novel. I prefer when I can find them, large print nonfiction and the shorter the better. Sometimes I wonder 'why bother'.

10. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

This forum serves as a useful diary. I am now half-way through this colossal tome, so while I still have more than 500 pages to read, I'm getting there. Slowly, but getting there.

11. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I finished 9 Dragons last week. Haven't started anything else yet.

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

While I appreciate that it's a bit naff replying to one's own post, this was a useful marker that I put down. I have finished Genji and now I know that it has taken me almost exactly three months to read it. Perhaps it's time for something a little lighter and more frivolous, say the works of Ovid in the original Greek.

Denise Evans and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've got several books on the go right now. I'm only reading printed books at this time, since I got a batch from the library. I set aside another to read this one:
    Death on Base: The Fort Hood Massacre If anyone has any doubt that the politically correct culture has had a negative impact on our country, they have only to read this book. There were many opportunities for intervention, yet Hasan was passed and promoted, because people were too scared to call him out and report him. The book also talks about other murderers, and it's an interesting read.

14. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

A Land Remembered, by Patrick D. Smith. It is a novel beginning with a pioneer family, in Florida, and the hardships they endured. As the family grew, they invested in cattle and orange trees. It is interesting to see how they invest in land and grow over the years. I haven't finished it yet, but it is a success story and they become very wealthy.

15. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Nothing for a while now, I gave up fiction a couple of years ago and went on to memoirs and biographies, but recently I have lost the habit completely.
    My life seems full of so many other activities and this forum, that there is no time for reading. :(