What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

I just love mysteries. In fact, I recently join Amazon Prime to read books free. I have saved my membership already and I can read as many as I can handle. Getting a little harder to see as my cataracts are slowly progressing, but I can make the letters larger on my I pad.

Yvonne Smith and Pat Davis like this.
  3. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I have just started Tom Keneally's Commonwealth of Thieves, the story of how the British government dealt with the overcrowding problems in the gaols of the 18th century, packing the excess onto ships and sending them on a nine-month voyage from hell to Botany Bay. It is a fascinating tale and a grim reminder of not only how the poor underclasses were treated in those days but also of the appalling treatment of Australia's indigenous people.

Lara Moss likes this.
  4. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I just started reading the new Nicholas Sparks book "See Me." I always enjoy his books and the movies made from his stories.

5. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Just read that Nicholas Sparks and his wife, Cathy, have separated after 25 years of marriage. He said she had inspired many of his romantic novels. They have 3 sons and twin daughters. Sad story, tho he said they remain good friends, and he acknowledged her at the end of his newest book, and said she will always be dear to him.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Elsa Morante's History: A Novel is set in Second World War Italy, though it was written in 1974. Morante lived through the period - she and her husband were forced into hiding as opponents of Mussolini and the story is essentially that of the sufferings of ordinary Italian people during that time. I've had the book for about three or four years, so it's nice to get to it at last.

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just started "Dead Mountain: The Untold True story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident" by Donnie Eichar.

I like bios or autobiographies or non fiction mostly.

Terry Page and Denise Evans like this.
  8. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I love the senior sleuth mystery "types". Also, the new genre called "cozy" mysteries. Some of my fave authors are Terri Blackstock, Sue Henry (Maxie and Stretch are my fave), Angela B. Sanders, and Lorena McCourtney. Right now I am reading a series from Lorena on a fictional, Oregon, coastal town called Julesburg:) I only read at night, and it helps me sleep;)

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

I especially love reading about nutrition, and alternative medicines Krissttina! I have a "too slow" heartrate, and now since 97 I've had it replaced 3 times which is normal. They last up to 10 years I guess. But it's good you are checking out alternatives.

I love to star-gaze, so I also look up astronomy often, online usually;) Coconut Oil is very good for us, as well as all the "nut" oils. I eat lots them now (better late then never) as well as seeds and nuts like walnuts, raw almonds etc.;) denise

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks to Tom Locke's good recommendation, today, I have begun reading Lorna Doone.

Tom Locke and Denise Evans like this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

as wonderful as the series on TV was, nothing odd about it to me Ken. The books are probably far better! I am realizing how much better it is to read a book (a good one) then watch a movie;) Like To Kill a Mockingbird. Unfortunately, I saw the movie first, but it was an exceptional movie as some of you might know. But the book, wow, I loved it so much! denise

12. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm looking this one up, the title really grabbed me and I am into true stories/historical;) Thank you Chrissy!!

13. Denise Evans

Registered

Are you an ancestor of Samuel Clemens?? Now there was a writer;) (Mark Twain of course;) )

Carlota Clemens likes this.
  14. Denise Evans

Registered

Wow, that sounds way interesting Chrissy! Maybe I will have to read that one, denise

15. Denise Evans

Registered

Good for you Podna!! I have to go get a reminder of what that's about;)