What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

Anyone a fan of James Patterson? His novels seem so compellig as to ha"e become nearly timeless; the older first editions as popular as the new.

For those unknowing, one of his popular characters is Alex Cross, a Detective from Washington, DC, who eventually joins the FBI. This guy is raising a family of 3 kids, helped by an elderly lady I think is his Grandma. His wife has left him, he works criminal investigations by "gut-feel" instead of strictly "by the book", usually succeeding where others could not.

I just finished "Big Bad Wolf", the first in which Alex Cross had been employed by the FBI. The ending was not as I was expecting (not unusual for Patterson!), and I a led to wonder what's next. Inasmuch as we get our reading material from our local hospital, where a large cart of books is always available, I will be looking for more Patterson. The books are "you donate" priced, and we almost always return more volumes than we buy. A good deal all around.

Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Frank, I am a fan of Patterson somewhat. He has written several series, but I think the Cross novels are his best, and I think the movie with Tyler Perry was the best depiction of a modern detective novel. "Jack Reacher" is by far the worst transition from page to screen. Lee Child's novel depict Jack Reacher a six-foot five somewhat homely guy, but they cast Tom Cruise, a fine-foot seven pretty Boy to play him. Terrible. As to the quality of the writing, I like John Sandford and his characters the best. He won a Pulitzer Prize under his real name, John Camp, and he wrote for the St. Paul Minnesota for many years.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I have 3 books on the go currently... and I just had a new one arrive this morning.. called The Shallows by Nicholas Carr !!

It's basically about how the use of the internet is changing our brains..

I'm looking forward to reading it tonight in bed..

Incidentally @Frank Sanoica , in answer to your question, no I'm not a fan of Patterson, but my daughter is or was (not sure about now) a huge fan, I remember she would buy every book as soon as it was published and read it in a week...

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Veteran Member
    Registered

Reading "And Then There Were None." First I've read by thius author. Have readone book by Patterson, it was "Along Came A Spider" or something like that. I checked out an Alex Cross novel by Patterson a while back but never read it. Sometime I do that, check out a number of books and then read only one or two; return the others unread. I need large print now days and what I want to read is not always available in large print. Also my reading ability has deteriated the past year or so. I am reading slower and sometime have trouble concentrating. Is that a symptom of age? Probably not since it doesn't seem to happen to everyone

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I have trouble with the small print in regular books now, too. I have always worn reading glasses, but it just becomes harder for me to read the small print as I get older.
    Having the Kindle has been a godsend for me ! Not only can I get larger print that is easier to read, the Kindle also has a backlight, so the page is always well lit up.
    I have noticed that unless I have really good lighting, when I am reading a regular book, it is sometimes just too dark to really see the writing. I have pretty much stopped buying print books, and I get everything online from the Kindle store, especially because there are always so many good ones that are free.

Don Alaska likes this.