What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am actually reading several books right now.

I am reading a "real book" about hyperinsulinism called "Healthy For Life" by Drs. Richard and Rachael Heller. It explains in great detail how overeating of carbohydrate loaded foods can cause people to release too much insulin, which in turn causes heart problems, diabetes, and even cancer.

I just borrowed a book from the Kindle lending Library called "Babylon Rising; and the First Shall Be the Last", by Rob Skiba.
    He has an excellent webpage about end times prophecy, and other interesting Biblical topics. I have been following his study about the Creation for the last few months, and was happy to be able to borrow this book to read also.

Then, just for entertainment, I also have Zane Grey's "Riders of the Purple Sage" on my Kindle app, and I read that a bit at a time in my spare time, often off of my iPhone when I am stuck waiting for something or someone.

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm sort of re-reading Caddie Woodlawn and Black Mass, but am mainly concentrating on making my way back through (for the 3rd time, at least) the Stephanie Plum Novel series. Whenever life gets too stressful, I chill out with some Stephanie Plum, the books are easy reads, and are good for helping me mentally escape real life.

Pat Davis likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am still reading the Book of Awakening. My wife has vision problems and I am reading to her. I have also just finished another Western story.

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Active Member
    Registered

I started reading "Womens Murder Club" series and am on the #5 book,
    The 5th Horseman. I have 10 more books to read. They are by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. Last book before this series was "The Longest Ride" by Nicholas Sparks. Always enjoy his books, and this was one of my favorites. Saw the movie too, and really liked it....Very Moving.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm taking a break from the classics I've been catching up on. I'm reading an amusing work entitled Do Not Pass Go by Tim Moore. As the title suggests, it relates to the board game Monopoly and he visited all of the locations on the (London) Monopoly board, experiencing a number of very odd escapades and people on the way. It's very funny and quite informative, too. Where else would I have learned that the name of one of London's most famous streets, Piccadilly, originates from the fact that the land near Piccadilly Circus was bought and developed by a tailor who had made his fortune from the manufacture and sale of pickadills, which were spiked metal collars that supported the ruffs that were in fashion at the time?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

7. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just love mysteries. In fact, I recently join Amazon Prime to read books free. I have saved my membership already and I can read as many as I can handle. Getting a little harder to see as my cataracts are slowly progressing, but I can make the letters larger on my I pad.

Yvonne Smith and Pat Davis like this.
  8. Tom Locke

Registered

I have just started Tom Keneally's Commonwealth of Thieves, the story of how the British government dealt with the overcrowding problems in the gaols of the 18th century, packing the excess onto ships and sending them on a nine-month voyage from hell to Botany Bay. It is a fascinating tale and a grim reminder of not only how the poor underclasses were treated in those days but also of the appalling treatment of Australia's indigenous people.

Lara Moss likes this.
  9. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Active Member
    Registered

I just started reading the new Nicholas Sparks book "See Me." I always enjoy his books and the movies made from his stories.

10. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Active Member
    Registered

Just read that Nicholas Sparks and his wife, Cathy, have separated after 25 years of marriage. He said she had inspired many of his romantic novels. They have 3 sons and twin daughters. Sad story, tho he said they remain good friends, and he acknowledged her at the end of his newest book, and said she will always be dear to him.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  11. Tom Locke

Registered

Elsa Morante's History: A Novel is set in Second World War Italy, though it was written in 1974. Morante lived through the period - she and her husband were forced into hiding as opponents of Mussolini and the story is essentially that of the sufferings of ordinary Italian people during that time. I've had the book for about three or four years, so it's nice to get to it at last.

Denise Happyfeet likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I just started "Dead Mountain: The Untold True story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident" by Donnie Eichar.

I like bios or autobiographies or non fiction mostly.

Terry Page and Denise Happyfeet like this.
  13. Denise Happyfeet

Denise Happyfeet Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love the senior sleuth mystery "types". Also, the new genre called "cozy" mysteries. Some of my fave authors are Terri Blackstock, Sue Henry (Maxie and Stretch are my fave), Angela B. Sanders, and Lorena McCourtney. Right now I am reading a series from Lorena on a fictional, Oregon, coastal town called Julesburg:) I only read at night, and it helps me sleep;)

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  14. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

I especially love reading about nutrition, and alternative medicines Krissttina! I have a "too slow" heartrate, and now since 97 I've had it replaced 3 times which is normal. They last up to 10 years I guess. But it's good you are checking out alternatives.

I love to star-gaze, so I also look up astronomy often, online usually;) Coconut Oil is very good for us, as well as all the "nut" oils. I eat lots them now (better late then never) as well as seeds and nuts like walnuts, raw almonds etc.;) denise

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks to Tom Locke's good recommendation, today, I have begun reading Lorna Doone.

Tom Locke and Denise Happyfeet like this.
  16. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

as wonderful as the series on TV was, nothing odd about it to me Ken. The books are probably far better! I am realizing how much better it is to read a book (a good one) then watch a movie;) Like To Kill a Mockingbird. Unfortunately, I saw the movie first, but it was an exceptional movie as some of you might know. But the book, wow, I loved it so much! denise

17. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

I'm looking this one up, the title really grabbed me and I am into true stories/historical;) Thank you Chrissy!!

18. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

Are you an ancestor of Samuel Clemens?? Now there was a writer;) (Mark Twain of course;) )

Carlota Clemens likes this.
  19. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

Wow, that sounds way interesting Chrissy! Maybe I will have to read that one, denise

20. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

Good for you Podna!! I have to go get a reminder of what that's about;)

21. Chrissy Cross

Registered

There is another one I read about some men taking a trip into the amazon jungle which was EXCELLENT. I will have to look up the title for you because I forgot, lol.

22. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Found it...Lost in the Jungle by Yossi Ghinsberg.

Also...almost all the books I read are either free or less than $2.99. I have Bookbub and also kindle unlimited.

23. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

Right on Chrissy, I love my Nook, but I do see a lot on Amazon I would like to get as well. Most of my books run around that price as well. I also belong to the county library and check out books online, which is so handy. Here's the link, and I'm am pretty sure every county/State has library2go!!

https://oregon.libraryreserve.com/10/50/en/SignIn2.htm?branchid=114&URL=MyAccount.htm?PerPage=40

I still use my Coos County from Oregon since I do have a library card in Humboldt, but it's a pain to change counties in the library2go system. Well, at least I can't seem to figure it out, LOL!!

24. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks...I do have a Fresno library card but havent looked at them online.

25. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.