What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll have to see if my library has that @K E Gordon. I'm sure I'd enjoy it. I'm actually getting into The Testament more than I was at the beginning. I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through it. I'm watching less television now that I've cut back to just the local channels, and am focusing more on reading. It's helping me get out of my head and focus on something other than real life right now, which is a blessing.

2. Diane Lane

Registered

Well, I just finished The Testament this morning. At the end was an excerpt from another of his books, as well as a list of all those he's had published. I might see which others the library has in electronic version. I like that I don't have to pick them up or return them physically when I'm finished, and the e-books return themselves, they just disappear off my device when the borrowing period is over. I wish the local library had more via electronic method, versus physical books, since I don't get over that way very often, plus the limited hours of my local branch can be a pain.

3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes @Diane Lane I just found my paper I got from the library on how to download books onto the kindle. I need to make sure I have my library card number though as my card has been missing for a very long time. I would get a new one, but I haven't because I think I have to pay some money for a replacement card. I am quite curious as to what books are available for Kindle download. I think that would open up a whole new category of books I will look at that in a few minutes I think, and call the library before they close if I can't find my library card number.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

Right now, I'm reading Shakedown, by Joel Goldman. The lead character is an FBI agent working a case with multiple murders, in the inner city of Kansas City, when his boss learns he's experiencing tremors/shakes/stutters, and puts him out on disability leave until he gets some medical treatment. I'm only at the beginning, and so far I'm really enjoying it. I got this one free through Bookbub, and it's part of a series.

@K E Gordon I'm glad you posted that, it reminded me that I have to go download one, assuming I can get it to work this time. I usually don't have any trouble when I borrow them, but when the library has to order them from another branch, there seems to be some sort of glitch, and I haven't been able to retrieve them. I really don't want to have to call the library, especially since they're on limited hours, so hopefully this time it will be a straightforward process.

K E Gordon likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

I finished Shakedown on Friday. I really enjoyed it, and will look for more of his books. I believe that's part of a series, but for now I'm just reading free books. I started King of Torts by John Grisham. It mentions some things that were covered in the other book of his that I recently finished, which I like. It's not exactly a sequel, but at least one of the characters was carried over. This is the one I wasn't sure I'd be able to download. Apparently it was just a glitch the last time I had issues downloading the library book, because this one went off without a hitch.

6. K E Gordon

Registered

I started reading Malevolent which is another one of those freebies on Amazon tha is part of a triology. I am sure that if I read all of them they will try to charge for at least one part. Malevolent is a mystery that is set in New Orleans. It is about a woman who starts her own detective agency, so the premise is kind of interesting. I think the book is one of those that could be read at your leisure. It isn't extremely gripping, but I like it.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

Sometimes I like the ones that aren't as gripping, since they're easier to put down when I need to go to sleep.

I borrowed 2 more John Grisham novels from the library today, the e-versions, not print ones. There are quite a few of his that I haven't read, and it's been a long time since I have read some, so the ones at my local library should carry me for a while, plus I supplement with the freebies on Bookbub.

8. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I just finished a book about the Secret Service. It was OK. More on the bits of information, fluffy side.

I'm now reading Trouble Maker by Leah Remini. I don't know anything about Scientology and I guess she grew up in it and left. I'm at the beginning when her mother first joins. So far it's well written.

Today I was listening to KGO radio in the car and Jeffrey Toobin was on talking about his new book he wrote regarding Patty Hearst. I've already put it in my shopping cart on Amazon. Sounds interesting. He also wrote the book on OJ Simpson which was turned into the recent mini series. I'll pass on the book but I was obsessed with the mini series.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

American Prometheus
    'The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer' - Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin

I don't often read biographies, but thought I'd give this one a go.
    J. Robert Oppenheimer as always fascinated me and want to know more about his work and beliefs.
    Just downloaded it from the library, going to settle in and start.

10. Diane Lane

Registered

@Kitty Carmel Was the Leah Remini book just released? I saw something about it on Twitter earlier. I like her, and would like to eventually read it, but I'll have to wait until my library stocks it. The Patty Hearst book also sounds interesting. If I recall correctly, she was mentioned in Days of Rage by Bryan Burrough. I posted about that when I was reading it, it was a very interesting book.

I'm reading The Litigators by John Grisham, and thoroughly enjoying it. I like how quirky he makes his characters, they're fleshed out so much more than many I read about in other books, so i feel as if I actually know them.

11. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Diane Lane, It looks like the paperback was just released. The hardback, which I have, was released in November of last year.

I hope it turns up at your library for you. Can you make requests at your library?

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks @Kitty Carmel. I'm not sure, but I think we can probably request an item. I'll have to look into the matter. I can definitely request it if another branch has it, but I'm not sure if they'd buy it specifically on my request.

I'm still enjoying The Litigators, and am going to go read in a bit.

13. Diane Lane

Registered

@Kitty Carmel I just e-borrowed Trouble Maker. I'm in the middle of reading another book, but as soon as I'm finished with that, i'm going to skip the other one I'd borrowed, to read Trouble Maker.

14. K E Gordon

Registered

I did finish the Hangman's Daughter which was another book I was reading. I had read it before, but I didn't remember it. It was on the NY TImes Best Sellers list at one time. I think it would make a really good movie too. I was reading the reviews on Girl on a Train, but I think that I would rather see the movie first. The movie is supposed to be really good, and kind of a Hitcockian Thriller. I need to get to the movies, I signed up for an app called Atom that is supposed to give you a free movie ticket, but supposedly you have to buy it and be reimbursed or something. Nonetheless, Sully and Girl on a Train look great.

15. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Just finished "Killing The Rising Sun "