What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

Diane, they are FLDS, so to speak, although I think that this particular family branched off and created their own small church with a few other families. They used the show as a way to become public.

Before I started watching it, it all really made me cringe too, and some of ti still does. I'm still not sure how I feel about all of it, but it is fascinating, and taught me that, as with all different backgrounds, sometimes the impression we have of a group is not always true. They certainly have their tiffs between wives, problems with the children, or issues that any other family would have.

This man has four wives. I think at the start of the show he had three, and during the show he courts and marries a fourth. Off and on throughout the show, several or all of the wives have jobs or run their own business as well, so they do all work to contribute to the expenses. Some of the businesses do well and some do not.

I haven't watched for a bout year, so I guess I'm probably a few seasons behind now. I go through stage where I will watch one show exclusively on Netflix or cable, and then I will abandon it for something else that has captured my interest. :)

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon Dang it, I watch a lot of the shows on the ID Channel, and can't believe I missed that one. I'll have to see if I can find it. I wasn't familiar with him, but it looks like an interesting story, based on what I see on Wikipedia about him.

@Diana Kristof The ones in the TV show are a branch off group from the FLDS, I believe, and they call themselves the Kingston Group, but they are working in the episode this Sunday and also the one next Sunday (parts 1 and 2) to help one of Warren Jeffs' daughters to escape.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book now. She's getting up the courage to leave, has a sick, disabled son and a newborn (out of 8 children total), and was just given an emergency hysterectomy. It's amazing how many children some of these women have, and the home life described in the book sounds very chaotic and distressful.

K E Gordon and Diana Kristof like this.
  3. Diana Kristof

Registered

@Diane Lane That's really neat. I remember there was a past episode where they met with a couple of kids who had left a similar background, but I don't remember the details. Helping one escape seems pretty risky, but kudos to them. I wish that I was caught up now! I will have to start watching it again. I'm seeing a Sister Wives/Crochet marathon in my very near future.

4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have watched Sister Wives a few times. They seem kind of like a cross between conventional Mormon's and the FLDS types. I mean that lifestyle may work for some. but it seems like the many of the kids (who have a choice that is) opt for conventional marriages when they are of age. It must be sort of stressful to be out of the mainstream of society and looked at like you are from a different planet. Kids aren't especially kind, and I am sure they must feel different.

Diana Kristof likes this.
  5. Diana Kristof

Registered

To bring it back to the main topic, I am currently trying to decide on a new mystery novel to read. A friend has suggested Girl Waits With Gun by Amy Stewart. Has anyone read it or any of Stewart's books? It's a new one on me.

I am a fan of Agatha Christie, and I have also enjoyed some more modern takes on this kind of cozy mystery, such as the Agatha Raisin series. :)

Are there many other mystery readers, and do you have favorites?

6. Diane Lane

Registered

Well, I just finished the Escape book. I really liked it, and am going to see if my library has the author's second book. Now I'm going to start on my library book, The Fifth Avenue Artists Society, by Joy Callaway. I hope I like it. It's a departure from the types of books I've been reading, but that could be a good thing.

7. Diana Kristof

Registered

Well, I never did end ups tarting that one Girl Waits With gun. Instead, I started one I had on hand called The Christie Curse by Victoria Abbott. Someone sent it to me in a birthday package some months back and I hadn't gotten around to reading it yet. It features a female protagonist, recently graduated and looking for work. She ends up taking a job as a researcher/sleuth of sorts for an older lady who is trying to hunt down a supposed missing Agatha Christie play (that may or may not be real.) So far it is pretty good. :)

8. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

My teen likes yo read books aloud to me. Not sure why, but it seems to please him to share his novels with me. Today we are starting "Crispin the Cross of Lead" by Avi.

9. Diana Kristof

Registered

I have not read that one, @Texas Beth , however I am an Avi fan. I really enjoyed The True Confessions Of Charlotte Doyle about a girl who finds herself a passenger on board a pirate ship. Has your son read that one?

The Christie Curse is coming along nicely. Heroine is currently looking into research at the library with hot librarian, Lance. Ooo la la! (Why are people named Lance always hot?)

K E Gordon likes this.
  10. K E Gordon

Registered

I guess the moral of the story is if you want your son to be a hottie, name him Lance!;);) I forgot the name of the hot protagonist in my book.

11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I am trying to slow down on my reading. I have to have Large Print but I have begun listening to Books on CDs. Takes a while to get into these do to distractions and concentration.
    About Sister Wives. Sometime I wish I had been a Mormon.

12. Diane Lane

Registered

I finished my library book yesterday, it was really good, other than odd (in my opinion) repeated use of the word grinning. I'll return that the next time I get over that way. I'm debating on whether I should order another that I can pick up at the same time, but it's sometimes difficult for me to coordinate with the library's schedule. I can drop book off 24/7, but many days, the library doesn't open until 1 p.m., and I'm usually out and about before that, so it's not always convenient. It'd be great if they could have a drive through window to pick up books after hours.

If libraries still exist in the future, perhaps someone will invent a library robot to perform that function. As it is, the books are left for pick up on shelves inside the entrance, and people can check themselves out, which is how I always do it. I've already started another one on the Kindle, but I'm not sure I want to finish it.

13. K E Gordon

Registered

I finished the James Patterson book I was reading...(finally) I guess I found it put downable. Anyway, I am contemplating two other books...as dissimilar as you can get...Shopaholic to the Rescue, and Wuthering Heights. I never read Wuthering Heights,,,and since it sounds a bit on the scary side I think I would like it. I thought it was primarily a love story so I wasn't really keen to read it, but someone was talking it up, so why not? I found a Patricia Cornwall book under my bed,,,and I was thinking when did I get this? I don;t think I ever read it. However, as I was thinking about it...I remembered I had! She writes alot about this location, and has landmarks in her books that are familiar to me.

14. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

The library here allows you to download books straight to your kindle reader and audio books using Overdrive.
    You can keep them up to 2 weeks then they just go away. You can have as many as 10 books out at a time.
    If a title you want is checked out, you put a hold on it and they save it for you and sent you an E-mail.
    Best system I have seen. ( titles are current ones and just about every taste )

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Diana Kristof

Registered

The Christie Curse is coming along. I am finding it interesting partly due of the Agatha Christie connection, but also because of the old rambling mansion setting. However, one thing that has been irritating me is the descriptions of the cat. I am a cat lover, and i know there ways. But this author obviously does not. She has written her character Jordan as not being a cat fan, which is fine, but it's obvious that the author isn't a cat fan either because she makes the creature act very out of character, and even the descriptions seem stilted. It's like someone who has never learned to knit (like me) trying to describe the action of knitting.

Hopefully the rest of the story will continue to intrigue me enough, though, that that won't bother me to the point of dropping it... ;)

Diane Lane and K E Gordon like this.