What Are You Planning For Thanksgiving Day Food 2015

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Krissttina Isobe, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't understand where my post went!

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was going to just get a chicken, since I can roast that in the Ninja cooking center; but when I got to the store, and chickens were over $1 per lb, and the turkeys were only 57 cents a lb, either one was going to cost about $8 and change; so I got us a small turkey.
    Sweet potatoes are usually close to $1 per lb here, and 39 cents is a good savings; so I also got a large bag of sweet potatoes. Since they are on my anti-inflammatory foods list, I can eat those, but not regular white potatoes.
    I think that the brand name turkeys were more, @Diane Lane , so probably more in line with what your Butterballs were there in Texas. We just got the Kroger generic one, and they always seem to work out fine for me.

I think that I might try that crockpot apple pie that @Pat Baker posted. I do not have the cans of apple pie filling, but I do have a can of peaches, and I will add some fresh apples to that and see how it turns out. The Ninja also doubles as a crockpot, so I will use that to make the pie in. I did get some whipped cream to put on the pie; so here is hoping that it does turn out to be as delicious as it sounds.

Ruby Begonia and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the turkey at Costco was .99/lb....my daughter bought 2 -15 lbs turkeys instead of doing one 25 lbs+.

She has two built in ovens so it wont be a problem cooking the two...plus we thought handling a smaller turkey should be easier also.

Anybody do similar and have any pros or cons to share?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It's funny. I don't know why I feel a bit excited with Thanksgiving when we don't celebrate it. Maybe my mind is deep down into this thread, with the dishes and desserts particularly pumpkin pie which I still have to taste. I'm amused with that chicken gizzard dressing. Gizzard is that tough part of the chicken that has a rubbery texture. Anyway, is that gizzard dressing for the roasted turkey? Pardon my ignorance but I still have to see a whole turkey. From what I know, it has fillings and that's what gives it the taste.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

We will be going to one of our daughter's home as our place has become too small!!!
    We will have the traditional Turkey with everyone bringing a dish of some sorts!
    It gets devoured fast!!
    11-20-07 009 (Small).jpg
    P_20141127_123008.jpg

Ruby Begonia and Diane Lane like this.
  6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess I will be looking for the key under the mat at Joe's coffee shop, to celebrate with a fresh coffee and leftovers from the previous day :eek: while looking forward to Friday's re-opening ;)

[​IMG]

7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken N Louis That's a huge crowd, it reminds me of when everyone was live and we'd go down to my grandmother's years ago, usually for Christmas Eve. Looks like lots of fun, enjoy!

You seem to use that Ninja Cooker for everything, @Yvonne Smith. I cooked the vegetables yesterday. The kitchen is so small and dysfunctional that I tend to cook things in shifts. I'll do the turkey today, and either do the pie first, or will wait on that for tomorrow. I was going to make a pumpkin pie, but decided to make a butternut squash pie instead, since I already have that cooked. I'm not sure I have 3 cups of squash, but if not, I'll just open a can of pumpkin and use some of that, then use the rest for something else. Here's the butternut squash pie recipe I'll be using. All I'll have left to do is rolls and gravy. I haven't figured out what kind of rolls I want to make yet, but it'll be something fairly easy.

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I am not up on all the details,but we are staying home, having a turkey breast,mashed potatoes, asparagus, cranberries, etc. My wife is making a blueberry pie, instead of pumpkin, this year. It will be low key.;)
    thxgivinggg_590_356.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Robin has said that she will come over and have turkey with us on Thanksgiving; but it will still be mostly a serve yourself kind of a meal. We don't actually have a dining room, and Bobby loves to watch television when he eats; so we just fix our plates in the kitchen and then eat in the living room all the time anyway.
    Robin does not like sweet potatoes; so tomorrow I will make some potato salad, which she loves, and that will be added to the menu along with the turkey and dressing that we already planned on.
    So far, the weather seems like it will be warming back up again, and no rain or storms are expected here. I am looking forward to the holiday !

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

11. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Chrissy, Four drumsticks and four wings. How can this go wrong? Lol

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lol, Ruby....true!

13. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Corie, gizzards in the stuffing is a regional thing. Where I come from, we wouldn't have that. Also, besides regions, certain nationalities have developed their own kind of stuffings for the turkey. I live in New England and typical recipes here include oysters or chestnuts or celery and onions. Turkey is a very flavorful bird that does not need any fillings or stuffings to give it flavor.
    Although it looks like a huge chicken, it tastes somewhat different.

Corie Henson and Yvonne Smith like this.