What Are You Planning For Thanksgiving Day Food 2015

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Krissttina Isobe, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Kroger has turkeys for 57 cents per lb, with a $25 food purchase; and they were at 79 cents before that with no required purchase; so it would appear that (at least here) they are the same price as last year.
    Sweet potatoes are 39 cents a lb, which is a good buy, the are usually close to $1 per lb.
    Since we have the cold spell coming in either tonight or tomorrow, I am going to get the frozen turkey on Sunday, and then we will just leave it in the car where it will slowly thaw out, and should be ready to prepare by Wednesday night.
    We are not going anywhere, and will just have a casual meal here at home. Bobby usually likes to watch the parades on television, or whatever special entertainment that they have for the holiday.
    As long as we have turkey, stuffing, and lots of cranberry sauce, then I am content without anything else, although we will probably have sweet potatoes and maybe even pie for dessert, since it is a festive day.

PS @Ruby Begonia , that sounds like an awesome feast. If you post directions to your house, (and the weather is good) we might just all show up there for Thanksgiving !

2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

That would be so much fun Yvonne!!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Yvonne, we are getting the Turkey at Costco...dont think we even have Krogers.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I love Lemon Meringue pie, but I don't know what North Carolina lemon pie is. LOL

5. Ruby Begonia

Registered

6. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow this sounds so good Ruby! I have never seen a recipe like this for lemon pie. I printed out the recipe, and I'm going to try it for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I'm no pie baker either, but it looks like something even I can make. :D After I make it, I'll let you know how it turned out

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm coming too.

Ruby Begonia and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  9. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

We are having the traditional Thanksgiving meal at my home. This will include the chicken gizzard dressing that my mother use to make and taught to me. Along with of course Pumpkin pies another recipe of hers. As far as the dinner goes we each take a part of what we buy in planning the meal, then I handle making the pies and the dressing the day before. Then my sister fixes the turkey and the other sides the next day. We have found that this help eliminate some of the work involve in the meal.

10. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Cool, Chrissy I hope you had fun there. Did he take you to Pepe's for pizza in Little Italy? The best ever! Most pizza in NH is very good; they have their own style. Did you visit Claire's Corner-Copia on Chaple St?

11. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Chrissy, that sound very good! I would leave in the turkey liver, but finely minced. Sometimes I add the cooked, minced liver to my celery-onion-sage bread stuffing. When I do, my son says its the best stuffing ever. If he knew I put it in there, snakes would come out of his head, LOL. Thanks for the recipe, I might do it sometime soon.

12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

The last time I was at Walmart, the Butterball turkeys were $1.99/lb. That's crazy. I was at a local IGA grocery store the other day, and they were $.99/lb there (this is for frozen turkeys), the only fresh ones were Jennie-O, and those were super expensive, around $40-$50 per turkey. At that price, I didn't even look to see what they weighed.

@Ruby Begonia Mashed rutabaga sounds yummy. I totally forgot to get turnips to mix in with the carrots and mash together. We used to do that back home for Thanksgiving. If I get back to the store, I'll look for some.

I'm making a traditional pumpkin pie for dessert, because it's my favorite. I still haven't figured out the menu other than that.

Yvonne Smith and Ruby Begonia like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

We went to a pizza place my brother raved about but dont remember the name, Ruby...he did say that its been there for a very long time.

We didnt do too much because I was really visiting my sister in Sparta, NJ and she drove there, so it was only a day trip.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Ruby Begonia likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I will be making this appetizer along with others but I have a pic of this...thought it was cute.

image.jpg

Joe Riley and Ruby Begonia like this.
  15. Ruby Begonia

Registered