What Are You Looking For?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sure, people have a wide range of opinions on probably every topic that exists, but it's the approach that matters.

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes - this is why this forum is working for me so far. I've found that the few discussions (I've not been here long) in which I've participated and in which I've held different opinions to some other participants have been respectful and balanced. And - most enjoyably - made me think !

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like that this is a supportive environment where people don't go out of their way to irritate others. There are some threads I prefer over other ones, and I tend to hang in those sections. I like the people here, and it's a nice place to come with a lot of variety, and as someone mentioned, it's not a dead site, like some of the ones I visit, so it's not boring. I have enough stress and conflict in my life that I'm not looking for that sort of engagement online, and there's always something to learn on here, since it's a diverse group, and everyone has different areas of knowledge and experience.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  4. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like that this site has humor, the posters are not ill spirited, and that it contains all kinds of opinions. It is nice to go some place where my age group is the focus and that we remember the same songs, the same tv and movie shows.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm sitting here reading all this good stuff, smacking into my harmonica some of the old songs I remember, and in spite of all the world's problems, thinking life is good.

6. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am sitting here listening to my son laugh with a friend. The good thing is that he has a hard time making friends and I am hoping this might work for him. It is hard to see a teenager feel alone and friendless. Here is to hoping he grows into himself and reaches out more and more. I want him to have a good life.

Patsy Faye and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

..........................................wrong thread :p

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm finding everything I was looking for in a Forum more everyday...right here on SeniorsOnly.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I look at a few different forums but only post here. Can't post on another one anyway since I've been banned for a couple years now. I missed it at first but now most of the people I cared about arent there and the turnover is quick there lately. People come and then they go. The others are mostly UK forums with very few american members.

10. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Veteran Member
    Registered

Nice to see you @Chrissy ,I've had been wondering how you were going :D..

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Hi Kate, glad to see you too. Thanks for thinking of me and I'm doing better. Hope you're good also. :)

12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm good @Chrissy, Hubby has shingles

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Oh no! My ex had them and after I saw what he went through I got the shot. Hoping it doesn't last long and isn't too painful.

14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Here's hoping with you. I know how it is to be a teenager alone with no one but superficial friends. And here' to you, a hopeful parent.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  15. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Active Member
    Registered

I had started looking for a place where I can meet people, (not a pickup place) but where you get to know other, reading their ideas and contribute my ideas with others. So far I have enjoyed being here, the people that I have followed have been very nice, and it seem that the same people are always around. I have not ran into any conflict, which is nice compare to other forums. Like face book, once you accept their friend request, (men especially) always have to use the "I like your profile, do want to be my friend," as soon as I read that I block them, and this is something that I don't see here and I like it. Over all I enjoy being here. Always looking to meet friends. As for the topics, I have enjoyed reading about paranormal, aliens, this is something I very curious about.

Diane Lane and Patsy Faye like this.
  16. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've never come across that on Facebook. I only get friend requests from people I know. Facebook isn't really like a forum or dating site.

I've come across that kind of comment in PMs on forums.

That's why I don't even have a picture on Facebook except my grandsons, I don't want perverts that I don't know posting where my family can see.

17. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I get requests once in a while from people who aren't familiar to me, and whose presence on Facebook is very new, where they posted a few photos all within an hour or so, just to fill up the first page. I do accept people who I don't know personally on Facebook, some of whom are from here, and I have a few from the Backwoods Home forum, although I haven't participated in that forum in years, and I have some people whom I share political views with. But when they have no Facebook presence, I assume they're just planning on scamming me for some reason and reject.

In the process, some errors are made. For example, I did reject my sister but, in all fairness to me, I didn't remember her married name.

Diane Lane likes this.
  18. Chrissy Cross

Registered

If they're women and young and show a lot of skin, they're scammers.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  19. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like this thread! Everybody in it likes everybody else's thoughts, so rather than individual likes, I give the thread a "Like"!

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  20. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Ken Anderson , you didn't remember your sister's married name? That's bad. :)

I still have dead people as friends, need to remove them. Think I have at least 4 friends that are dead. Only realize it when I get the notice that it's their birthday. :)

When I look on their page I see some people wishing them a happy birthday, guess they weren't close enough friends to know he died.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  21. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Active Member
    Registered

As a former forum moderator and frequenter, I seek forums that inspires other people. i stumble upon this website while on research writing assignment about ageing and senior life. I am struck and become interested upon finding out that most members were seniors like me. The instant feeling of belongingness with other quinquagenarians like me made me stay and experience further the forum. I suddenly have that confidence that approaching retirement age is not at all something to be afraid of. As you all know, I have lots of things I need to protect with: first by being a handicap and a stroke patient. I tend to shoo away from socials that could make me compromise my condition and be vulnerable to different kind of abuses. But, I need a boost in my morale and be confident for me to continue healing from my own life experiences for me to get well and avoid negativities.

Believe me, not everything in this world is all about money. God has given us talents to share and participating in a forum like this one and share those talents, knowledge and lessons in life. It is my responsibility to ripple the goodness to others and continue the cycle, as I believe that each one of us have those inherent gifts from God and we just need to use it to make this world a better place especially to us seniors who need a legacy driven life for the remaining days of our lives.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  22. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think I look for what most people look for in a forum. A place of exceptance. A place that when I say, "Do you remember 40 years ago when so-and so ... ?" , and everyone can relate to it. A place where we can exchange ideas concerning living conditions that apply to most of us.

This forum gives us a place to wake up and greet friends that we most likely would never have gotten the chance to meet in the first place.

My father was bed ridden his last five years, and as I took care of my him in those years, the lack for people his own age seemed to be the greatest cause for his loneliness.

He died in '93, and senior online forums just weren't as available as they are now, even if I could have gotten him to touch a computer. But I see the difference in his confinement and mine. I have you guys to count on each day.

23. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Active Member
    Registered

Very true and I definitely agree Ina!

24. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Please remember that you can always start your own topic here if you don't see anything that interests you. If you'd like to discuss something that isn't reflected in one of our topic areas, post it in Off-Topic Discussions. If I see a lot of threads on one topic in the Off-Topic area, I might create a topic for it. You never know what people might be interested in discussing until you bring the topic up. Also, you can invite people who are fifty or older.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  25. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm looking for my good health...if anybody finds it please send it back to me ASAP! :p

Ina I. Wonder and Patsy Faye like this.