What Are We Growing This Year?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am just getting SO excited about Spring coming soon, and that we can plant gardens again ! ! With the Aerogarden , I have already started some tomatoes, and now have them growing in small pots while I start some new things for planting once the weather gets warm enough.
    I have never had any of my watermelons grow large enough to have fruit, or even close to that; so this year, I have started some Sugar-babies in the Aerogarden , and am hoping to have them growing good before we set them outside.
    I love watermelon, and would just be so happy to have it fresh out of the garden, instead of paying the high prices at the grocery store.

I noticed that our potatoes are starting to sprout in the bag; but I am not sure when they can be planted outside. @Sheldon Scott , information please......

We are going to wander down to the Dollar Store in a little bit, and I will look in the garden seed area for some of the things that can be planted early, maybe some beets and broccoli.
    Sheldon is saying that his broccoli is almost ready to plant; so since we are in about the same growing season, that means that I should be able to sprout and grow some broccoli as well. I love the stuff; but have never tried growing any before.

My little fig tree is starting to leaf out. It is wintering over in the bedroom, and when the weather is nice, I will plant it back outside again, and by next winter, it should be strong enough to leave outside for the winter. Maybe it will even produce a few figs. ?

2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Older and slower, for me.:D

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

You beat me to it @Ike Willis , except I'm not slower yet, just when my back is acting up.

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.
  4. Ike Willis

Registered

I hope you can fix the back. My youngest daughter has a lot of back trouble too. She's been getting shots of some kind. I have a bad back too, but it's ok at this time. (knock on wood).

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

After I get medicare I'll have it looked at more closely. But think if surgery is suggested, I would decline.

Ike Willis likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm getting excited about spring planting time too. :) I'm not sure yet what we will be growing besides tomatoes, bell peppers, and flowers.But we have a much bigger garden area this year in our new home, so it is very possible we will do yellow and zucchini squash and some green beans also. There is a fig tree in our area but it has not done well, and if I could find a healthy one to plant I will do that too. Each Spring I like to plant different flowers with bright colors so I won't know what kind I will be planting until I go shopping and something catches my eye. I still have two and a half ziplock quart bags of chopped up bell pepper in our freezer from the one bell pepper plant we planted last Spring...and that plant is still in a pot being nurtured by my Honey and has one has been bell pepper hanging on and 4 babies. :p

7. Ike Willis

Registered

When I got old enough I had to help my gramps with his gardens. He would try everything. One year he had a pretty good peanut crop. We dried them in his attic. :)

Sheldon Scott and Babs Hunt like this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Boiled peanuts....really yummy! :)

Ike Willis likes this.
  9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I checked the pantry and the freezers. We don't need a lot this year. I plan to plant a lot of peppers, Tabasco, Marconi and hopefully some jalapenos. We have enough potatoes but I'll plant a few. We don't need more asparagus but it comes up anyway. Tomatoes, onions, cabbage, broccoli, okra, and I'm sure there will be a few other things. We don't need beets, squash, or peas this year.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow! I'm impressed... can I come shopping for fresh veggies at your house?

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  11. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Sure, C'mon over. Come soon and I might let you run the tiller.:D

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, that might not be a very good idea about letting me run the tiller....no telling where it will end up! :eek:

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Any back breaking jobs for me? :)

14. Sheldon Scott

Registered

How about shoveling manure?

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Great! Back breaking and smelly too. A bonus. :)

16. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You can run my little tiller, too, @Babs Hunt . You will like it better than Sheldon's, I am sure.
    I have one of those cute little electric tillers, and it is perfect for those small tilling jobs around the yard. it was $29 on EBay, so I got it a couple of years ago.
    It would never work for someone with a full-size garden; but for me, it is perfect !
    Actually, we have three little tillers.
    The little green one that I was mentioning, and one that is more of a little "digger thing" with two long "claws" that dig through the dirt.
    It opens up the dirt really well, and then I take the Green Machine and finish tilling the area.

We also have a gas-powered Troy tiller, a small one, about the size of the Mantis tiller. It is hard for me to start, and a little heavier than the electric ones, so usually Bobby gets to run that one, and I just point fingers at where it needs to be tilled.
    image.jpeg

Sheldon Scott and Babs Hunt like this.
  17. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm impressed....that's some serious gardening! I am still in the newbie stage of gardening but each year I grow a little more and enjoy seeing my green thumb grow right along with whatever I have planted. :D

18. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just want to share what I had planted. But first, please be informed that the gardener of the house is not me, okay? I'm into gardening mostly for the harvest. Now, I had bought good cantaloupes that are so sweet. I really loved it such that I had finished 2 by myself. My husband hearing of my remark about the best cantaloupe that I had tasted, he suggested that I plant the seed. And so I did. There was this sort of empty space in the backyard that I tilled the soil before sowing the seeds. Gee, there were sprouts after a week and after 2 week, the seedlings are now very evident and some have 4 or more leaves already. From the estimate, it will start fruiting by March and April will be the harvest period. I am hoping that my crop will give me the sweetest cantaloupe.

19. Ike Willis

Registered

My dad used to cut one in half, scoop out the seeds, then put a couple scoops of ice cream in the hollow. Yummy.

20. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Don't you know that I love ice cream? In fact, there's always a half-gallon of ice cream in our freezer. You have given ma a cute idea with that half cantaloupe to hold the ice cream. But I have a variation maybe, that is to grate the cantaloupe flesh into strips (we have a grater for that) and use the rind as a container for the ice cream cum cataloupe strips. Maybe next weekend I will be able to buy a sweet cantaloupe in the market (I only go to the market during weekends) and also buy an appropriate flavor of ice cream. Right now, what ice cream we have is coffee crumble, not good with cantaloupe.

Ruby Begonia and Ike Willis like this.
  21. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I tilled 3 of the raised beds with the mantis Wednesday. Yesterday I went to town for some supplies and then put agricultural lime on the beds where the cabbage and broccoli will go ant put some potassium on the potato bed. I cut potatoes to get them ready for planting. Hoping for some rain which the guessers say we have a 50% chance of Sunday. I'll probably put the potatoes in the ground Monday or Tuesday. I might plant the Broccoli and cabbage in a week or so.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  22. Mari North

Mari North Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I protest! @Ike Willis stole my answer... I'm pouting, yes, yes I am! :) I was going to say growing older, and hopefully wiser... growing eyelashes and fingernails and my hair even longer. That's about it... nothing that would remotely resemble a vegetable.

Ike Willis likes this.
  23. Amie Warren

Amie Warren New Member
    Registered

I just moved into a new apartment, and I have a small courtyard to garden in. I'm allowed to garden outside around the apartment too, but I'm afraid of things getting stolen if I plant food, so I'm trying to only plant ornamentals outside. It's our "spring" planting season here in FL so I'm already way behind. Just planted a few tomatoes and peppers so far.

24. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I planted taters this morning. Earlier than usual but it's been so warm and we finally got a little rain and I had the potatoes ready.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  25. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Planted the 5 broccoli plants in the garden just ahead of the rain this morning.

Yvonne Smith likes this.