What Are We Eating For 2016?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Steve North, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Tonight I had a big plate of Wild Mushroom Papardelle ...and had some dark chocolate after dinner peppermints for desert... well, it may not have been the healthiest meal in the world, but hey it's friday night.. and I've worked hard all week:D

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

When I make the orange jello (or any jello) with fruit juice, I use one cup of boiling water, mix well and I add one cup of fruit juice..
    NOT only fruit juice ..........
    It will set the same thing as water only...

Want something a bit different????
    Make your jello with one cup boiling water, add 1/2 cup cold water and add 1/2 cup of cream.. Mix very well and chill .. The cream will work itself to the top and it looks different..
    Very nice to present to company when placed on a platter..
    I like to use red jello for that one..

Want another for company???
    In a large mould (6 cup size) especially the one with a hole in the center, make a package of red jello with 1/4 cup cream as above.. Put in fridge to set fully..
    Add another package of jello on top but this time, use orange jello again with 1/4 cup cream.. Put in fridge to set firmly..
    Add another package of jello this time use green jello again with 1/4 cup cream.. Put in fridge overnight to set really well..
    Put mould in warm water for a few minutes to melt the outside just a bit and turn it upside down on a platter..
    You now have a 3 colour mould with a thin layer of cream separating each colour of jello..
    Be brave!!!!!!! Fill the hole of the mould with real whipped cream..
    Tell me that doesn't make a lovely, light dessert and it's just JELLO !!!!!!!

PS..... If you spray your mould first, the finished jello will slide out much easier..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Steve North

Registered

OK........... It's winter up here..... We just had a nice snow storm and another one is on the way for Saturday.. It's not that bad temperature wise.. Only -24c which is OK but a bit nippy............. TIME FOR SOME COMFORT FOOD ..........

Meatloaf is always considered a comfort food... I will be making a good meatloaf for supper on Saturday..... I will start out with some good minced MOOSE meat...
    Yup, I am making a MOOSE MEATLOAF .... Herbs and spices and an egg... That's all.....
    For the veggie, again comfort veggies are peas and carrots..
    I will steam carrots, smash them a bit on the course side, add butter, caraway seeds, and some thawed frozen peas.....
    For dessert, I still have some jello made with juice that I will serve with heavy cream..

VOILA !!!!!!!! A COMFORT MEAL FOR A WINTERY NIGHT !!!!!!

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Yowza!

5. Steve North

Registered

Now I have another small problem..................
    I took out of the freezer a piece of meat that looks like a roast of some kind and I have absolutely NO idea what kind of animal it is.. I would give you a guesstimate of about one kilo (about 2 pounds) in weight.. I know it isn't beef but that's all I can say....
    I will put it in the slow cooker with some stock, herbs, spices and cook for about 6 or more hours.. I really don't know what else to do with it.....
    Any other suggestions ???????????

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  6. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Ahhh, mystery meat! I've tossed a few of those frozen phantoms in my life. I finally leaned to label with some masking tape. I think I would thaw it first before slow cooking, or use a pressure cooker. Hope its a nice surprise!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  7. Steve North

Registered

It came out good.. It wasn't a meat that you could pull apart but it held its form.. It was not that rich but flavourful..
    I think it might of been a Moose roast or a Deer roast.. Most likely from the rump as it had some marbling and was tender from 8 hours of cooking..
    Too small to be Beaver and it wasn't Bear... Although it might of been Bear, but I don't think so.....
    Leftovers which I put in a container and froze without a label.. Don't know what to put on the label.. It was a surprise the first time, so it will be another surprise the next time.............

8. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Label it "Surprise" Act two.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Ruby Begonia

Registered

All I did for supper last night was snack. Cheese with apricots in it, sesame sticks and a few slices of Calabrese salami.

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Did you go and get it from TJ's, Ruby? I never went out and now I'll just wait til my return from my daughter's because it's clean out my fridge before I leave time. :)

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Tonight I was soo tired when I left work, and I still had to go and do the supermarket shopping in the dark, and get a tankful of petrol on the way home ... I knew by the time I got home I wouldn't have the energy to cook, so I got myself a Chinese take out.

Peking dumplings with hoisin sauce..and King Prawn chow mein......it was deellicious!!:D:D

I drove home 5 miles from the restaurant, put all my shopping away, got showered and changed very fast ...and still the Food was piping hot...!! ...so I sat down and ate it on a tray in front of the TV....bliss!!! :)

Chrissy Cross and Ruby Begonia like this.
  12. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Yes I did Chrissy! I also picked up one of their chicken pot pies to share another night. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You don't mess around, Ruby! :)

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  14. Ruby Begonia

Registered

You know, hot takeout after a shower after a busy day in front of the TV really IS bliss!

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't work but that still sounds like BLISS! :)

Holly Saunders likes this.