What Are We Eating For 2016?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Steve North, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

For supper tonight (Saturday) I made a stew in the slow cooker..
    I have NO idea what kind of meat it was, but it turned out very good.. Put some stock, worcester sauce, onions, carrots, parsnips, mushrooms and green peas..

I made a small amount of pasta to go with it as a base..

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

As much as I want to, I have no time to watch tv or youtube because of my hectic schedule particularly the chores during the holidays. But thank you for the link, I would try seeing it later in the day in the hope of getting new ideas for cooking. Just take note that I am not the chef in the house but my husband although he would cook whatever I would suggest, hahahaaah.

4. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

But Ruby I thought Kahlua was classified as a fruit, it is a fruit of the earth kind of lol :rolleyes:

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

New Year's Eve I went out with a friend for Sushi but I ordered the Scallops with Feta and Spinach sautéed in Miso and a glass of Chardonnay. When the waitress brought it, it was just raw spinach with scallops on top. I asked her where the Feta was. She was puzzled so I told her that Feta is a white cheese. She said, "No there's no cheese, just Feta Spinach". Haha, my friend and I told her there is no such thing as Feta Spinach but she insisted, pointing to the kitchen, "She told me it is Feta Spinach". I said okay but sent it back for the spinach to be sautéed as I don't like the texture of raw spinach (it's the feel of rubbery powdery leaves or something…hard to describe).

New Years Day is traditionally Black Eyed Peas for good luck but my family never does that. Instead, a light Buffet, Brandy Egg Nog or Wine, and celebrated with family in front of the fireplace and watch the festivities TV or music.
    This year was 70 degrees so no fire :(

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Ruby Begonia likes this.
  6. Steve North

Registered

Again today it looks like a casserole night.. Snowing, cold, and windy.. Temperature will drop to -27c by suppertime with brisk winds.. NO BBQ tonight..

I have a casserole that I make with B/S chicken cubed to which I add a ton of veggies..
    That could go over quite well tonight and it is easy eating..

I LOVE those one dish meals.. Easy to make and easy to clean up after..

A dessert could be in order which might be some white chocolate pudding with some dark chocolate scraped on top..

Krissttina Isobe and Lara Moss like this.
  7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  8. Sheldon Scott

Registered

9. Steve North

Registered

Supper tonight (Monday) will most likely be Salmon patties that I will make..
    Served with sour cream as a dip, sauce..

Steamed green and yellow beans..
    Coleslaw..
    Sliced tomato with EVOO and fresh basil..

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with 2 slices of Turkey bacon for my Princess..
    3 scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese for me..
    Pot of Folgers

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  10. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I make deep fried salmon or mackerel patties often, Steve. I've never tried them with sour cream. I usually make tartar sauce. I wonder if sour cream would make a good base for tartar sauce instead of using mayonnaise. o_O

Von Jones and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  11. Steve North

Registered

Sheldon..
    I would say NO.. Not using sour cream instead of mayo because the taste will be entirely different.. Tartar sauce is made with mayo and relish (I think) along with different herbs and spices while sour cream has a different texture than mayo, it won't work.......
    I use sour cream with herbs and spices to give it a tangy taste as a dip for my salmon burgers.. Dash (and I mean a dash) of onion powder, dill, salt, pepper, and celery seed.. Sometimes a very very small dash of garlic powder.. All this to about one cup of sour cream..THAT'S ALL !!!!

PS...... I use the really thick sour cream and NOT the liquidy one.....

Von Jones and Sheldon Scott like this.
  12. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Thanks Steve. I make tartar sauce using mayo, finely chopped onions and pickles, turmeric, a pinch of tabasco powder and sometimes some dill weed. My use of sour cream has been mainly limited to baked potatoes.

13. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Last night I made an unhealthy but indulgent supper-

Baked macaroni and cheese, browned and bubbley
    Southern fried chicken
    Green salad vinaigrette dressing

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Well we had traditional Japanese food such as nishime a boiled vegetable dish of 7 or more different kinds of vegetables and one should be carrots for weath throughout the year , ozoni which is a mochi or rice cake that's tasteless boiled till melted with mizuna a lefty vegetable for strength to overcome anything throughout the year, soba noodles are buckwheat noodles for keeping family close and black soy beans sweetened or kuromame for staying healthy. I added Hillshire Little Polasks to break up the monotony. We eat this for 2 days then the third day we ate kalua pork with rice and fresh veggies for we had the traditional foods coming out of our ears. Now we got to finish up our traditional foods for leftovers.
    [​IMG] buckwheat noodles symbolizing family closeness.
    image from http://www.japantoday.com/category/food/view/traditional-new-year-food-in-japan
    [​IMG] kuromame or sweetened black soy beans for good health.
    image from http://mmatsumotophotography.wordpr...ar-we-make-traditional-japanese-food-sort-of/

15. Steve North

Registered

We almost NEVER eat foods the second day.. I try to cook just enough for the two of us to finish everything..
    HOWEVER .....................................
    I still have half a casserole leftover from Sunday.. The one with chicken breasts and veggies..
    For tonight (Tuesday) I will be reheating the balance of the casserole but I will add some extra cheese first, just to make it taste fresh.....................