What Are These For?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

For decades, I've seen Motorhomes, Campers, or other RVs in a driveway with all the wheels covered, including the tires.

What is the reason for this?

Hal

2. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

sun on the tires so long

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I've seen them jacked up too.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The covers are for the tires. Vehicles that sit for longer periods experience degradation of the tires when exposed to sunlight. RV tires are usually replaced long before they show significant tread wear due to sidewall "checking" and cracks. We store our motorhome in covered storage so we don't use the tire covers.

5. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep! The blazing sun, in Austin, Texas, can destroy RV tires in one summer. We used to constantly blow out tires to the point where we got our tire changing down to a fine art that took ten minutes per tire. Then, one day, I ordered a set of covers, and our tire changing routine was no longer needed, at least on a regular basis.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a cover for our boat trailer spare tire, but not for the tires on our trailer itself. If we can find covers that will fit over the fenders, we may get them, but we don't stay hot all summer long, like some places do. Last year, before having our boat/trailer brought up here to Colorado, from northeastern Florida, we put new tires on the trailer. The old tires were the same ones that were on the trailer when we bought the boat/trailer in March 2009. It was definitely time to change them. However, when a boat and trailer are stored in Dry Storage, the trailer isn't used unless the owner wants to take the boat somewhere on the trailer. Most people in Dry Storage don't do that. We didn't.

7. Hal Pollner

Registered

Aaaahh...now I know!

Thank you all!
    H.P.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner

Now here is my opinion: tire covers are absolutely ridiculous. Given a couple of folks driving their big RV down here to the Desert to remain 6 months or longer, or those who never park longer than overnight somewhere, their tires are exposed to unrelenting sunlight for very long periods of time: UNCOVERED. Then, they park for a few hours, or days even, scurrying to quickly cover their tires........to what avail? Cover them even while driving, or not at all. Which isn't possible........For the RV almost constantly in use, covering the tires is a moot cons ideration.

Frank

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

We didn't cover our tires when stopping for a few days, but sure did when we were going to be there for weeks and when the rv was stored over the winter.

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems like it would be as important to move it a few inches every so often, when it sits for months. So the tires wouldn't get all stressed at places and bent out of shape?

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

If the RV gets a lot of use, there is no need for the covers. I can't remember what the exact scientific reason is, but tires that are used don't degrade like tires that are just sitting, and sunlight contributes to the deterioration.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Most people with motorhomes drive them at least 50-100 miles a month to exercise the motor, tires, and to run the generator so it won't have moisture build up to prevent "varnishing." I have heard of issues from tires sitting too long and developing flat spots, but never experienced it.

13. Hal Pollner

Registered

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher

"Flat spots" on tires occur mainly with nylon treads, which take a "set". This often takes only overnight to happen. Thus, nylon being the great boon tire cord it was in say, 1950, became less desirable as better synthetic cord materials were discovered, such as polyester and steel. One of the better designs I've seen in the past 20 years had tread cords of polyester, steel, and a single continuous nylon "belt" about the outer cord structure. No "thump" occurred with the design.

Frank

Beth Gallagher likes this.