What Are The Best Memories You Have Of Your Father?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Babs Hunt, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Amie Ar - brought a tear to me eye you did, what lovely memories you have. Cling onto them - he's right beside you x

Ike Willis and Amie Ar like this.
  2. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm sorry that you miss your dad so much @Amie Ar - I relate to that feeling completely. It's 23 years since he died - I still "chat" to him from time to time.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Julie Stewart - My God Julie, that's terrible, so very sad - what we all have to go through in life ................

Julie Stewart likes this.
  4. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

That's true - but the great thing is my mum and dad ahd a super marriage and were madly in love with each other until the end. Dad died at home and we all took turns sitting with him and chatting to him. We had been advised to keep talking as he slipped into a coma as he would be able to hear us. Mum went to sit with him, at that point he hand't spoken in response to any of us for over 3 hours and his eyes hadn't opened for even longer. She lay down next to him and snuggled and he said "Tess" (her name). She asked him, "How did you know it was me?" He said, "Your smell".

Ike Willis likes this.
  5. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

My best memories of my Dad was when my mom and brothers would get dressed in our best
    and go to the dock to watch my Dad's ship come back from a 'cruise'.
    Hundreds of sailors, all dressed in their whites, would come down the dock toward us
    and we could always tell him by his walk. Funny how we always knew it was him.

Later as I grew up, I couldn't understand why he was always 'out to sea' and felt abandoned
    sometimes. We met up once in Hawaii, both in uniform, and he told me he was sorry that he
    was gone so much as I was growing up.

Fast forward to a conversation I had with my two sons after I retired from the military
    and told them the same thing. Hard when you know you missed some of the major events in their
    lives. Finally understood what he must have felt.

And a thought about how Strong my Mom and Wife had to be during those times we were gone.

6. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Tim Burr - smashing post, lovely read - thank you :)

7. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

My dad was the comic in the family, and didn't think he could take anything serious. He could do a mimic of WC Fields. When we would go on a trip, he would tell the neighbor, "Yep were going on a trip to broaden our horizons, young lady." She was 80 yrs. If he would be upset, all he had to do is clear his voice, and we'd be in the next county. He and uncle ran a bathhouse in Hot Springs Ark. You couldn't own the property because of it being a National Park, only the business. Hot Springs was the M&M town, Mafia & Military. this was the 40's. My folks separated, but we went on the trains, not quite alone. They had stewardess on trains. And visit our dads & uncles. Yep cousins came too.:rolleyes:

Tim Burr likes this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

....Ahhhh Yessss....Adventure time!

9. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

Laughing so hard, trains and WC Fields. We had to board in
    Toledo, Ohio, to Chicago, Ill. That train was New York Central, Then catch the Rock Island Line from Chicago to Arkansas. I remember that train having a barber shop on it as well as the smoking lounge. Dining car, stewardesses, almost forgot the Club car. One beautiful train.:)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.