What Are Some Of The Hobbies You Lost Due To Age?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Jake Smith, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to draw and paint when I was younger and then just got out of the habit of doing it. I did buy a little paint kit, and i am going to try painting some of my t-shirts that had a picture/design, which has now faded out.

I also want to learn to draw and paint on my ipad, and there are tutorials for that, too. I just need to spend more time practicing and learning how to do this. I think that , as long as we can see and use our hands, drawing and painting is still a hobby we can have at our age.

I took a picture of my christmas cactus, and then used a paint program called Procreate to fade out the background behind the plant and blossoms, and it turned out pretty interesting, for no longer than it took me to do it.

192B72DF-341B-43C0-A1A1-BA4FC5044FC3.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
  2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Pretty picture Yvonne, I think that's a great hobby to have, mentally and physically, using your mind and body is always good.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Jake Smith

Registered

"The link below is for thirty winter hobbies".

However, there are a lot of fun things to do, indoors and outdoors, in the winter that I feel are absolutely worth the effort of learning no matter what skill level.

To me, these are very winter-specific sports to get your hands on and can, if you find the opportunity, be a great sport to continue on throughout the year or something to do solely for four months out of the year.

It’s honestly up to you, however, try one or try them all. I start this off with indoor activities and then it goes into outdoor sports activities as I’m excited for the Winter Olympics, haha.

Here’s the thing: you can’t be scared to try new things and this is one way of doing that. Every day you sit around saying, “I wish I could do that” could be another day of you getting closer to mastering a new skill in the sport you wish you could do that in.

[​IMG]

https://lemonadeandadventure.com/winter-hobbies-to-try/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Elle Lewis

Elle Lewis Member
    Registered

I used to love making jewelry but my fingers are now so numb from carpal tunnel + arthritis that I can't really work with smaller beads any more. I really miss it. I think about taking up needlepoint or crochet but feel like I would struggle with those, too (plus I am trying to find more to do to keep me on my feet instead of sitting on my butt all the time!)

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

My ex used to make jewelry. We'd go to the shows to buy supplies. She did it mostly for her own pleasure and for gifts. And I liked saying "cabochon." ;)

I used to do a ton of needlepoint. I bought a book on the various stitches and would apply them to the kits I bought, mostly ignoring the instructions. I got to the point where I could freehand Christmas ornaments as I watched TV. If you like doing that kind of stuff and your dexterity is waning, there's always latch hook. And I think that country cross stitch isn't so tedious, if I recall my terms correctly. I know there's one where the thread spans the canvas for inches, as though your were applying a spider web.

Jake Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Bert Davies

Bert Davies Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Snooker.

I used to be a decent snooker player in days gone by, but to play the game you need steady hands, concentration and good eyes. Alas, for me those abilities have now gone, but I do like to watch the worlds best compete. :)

7. Jake Smith

Registered

Here's a link of 89 hobbies for women at any age, maybe it will have something to help you, find a new hobbie.
    :)

https://healthyhappyimpactful.com/hobbies-for-women/

40 Hobbies for men of all ages.

https://www.modernmenscorner.com/40-cool-hobby-ideas/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  8. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Competitive shooting. My nervous system ain't what it used to be & a steady hold is very important.
    Instead, I resurrected music & just play piano for fun.

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I still miss my horses but was recently invited up to see my last one that is leased out to a nice lady. She had made me a memory book of pix and he remembered me and my daughter. Sometimes he didn't seem to over the years. It was fun. although no riding. I barely made it into her truck and it had a grab strap.o_O
    But there is plenty of alternative puttering to be done at the farm.:)
    Some call it work and not hobbies;)

10. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was just thing about some of my cousins that all lived about 50 miles north or where I now live. Last time I saw them was at my Great Grand Fathers funeral 1972 and I really can't remember if I even saw them then because the only one of the group spoke with was their Father married to my Aunt and of course the daughter of the Grand Father. I was remembering a trip one summer for a weekend at their little farm and it was around 1955. Their old farm house was still one of those that had a water hand pump in the sink and an out house.

They had a garden and cows and raised hogs and the road in front of the house was an old red rock road, very few paved roads in La in 55. You walked across the road and that side was nothing but pine trees and palmettos. A little narrow creek ran down the road on that side so they had put a board across the creek to walk over to the side where they had the cows pastured and there was a really big pond there for the cattle to drink. We would go over and fish out of the tank but of course nothing there but turtles and maybe craw fish. Coming back to the house we kids would sneak into the garden and steal a tomato.

There were 3 girls Judy, Margie and Janet. I have no idea if any are still living. We all just lost touch over the decades except for my Grandmother staying in touch with her two sisters. I looked on google earth about a year ago and the place is still there and it had already been remodeled inside and out. Last time I was there the place had a big covered front porch. It looks like a typical little nice farm now and they have cut down all the timber across the road except a few along the creek and there are two houses on that property. That stock tank is still there and new one back on the opposite side of where the old tank is. One thing about the area it hasn't changed over the decades and I suspect it will always be farmland and the cemetery where all of most of them are buried and my Grandmother who is in a container on top of her Fathers tomb, will always be surrounded by fresh plowed fields as it is today. No one is buried underground here due to the water levels always high. I could go on and on about my summer visits and how much fun it was back then. Today is a not so great time for America or our kids. We have more criminals now than good people. I think all of us are lucky we had such a good life growing up.

Jake Smith likes this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I can remember a while back where farmers bemoaned how poor they were and how hard they worked but they stayed on the farm and appreciated the good stuff. Now that we can see riches everywhere that we don't have, we could feel bad about it--and some do. But many of us don't and are thankful for what we have. The fewer people we need to impress with outward trappings, the easier.
    I don't think everyone out there is bad. I have met a few more good people lately. But the news presents how awful everything is incessantly. I know that the government is in a horrible state because of corruption and waste. I have been trying to deal with it and everything requires on line contact instead of personal. And there are plenty of folks trying to get theirs while the getting is good.
    We are coming to the end of our rich economy and power. There will be bad outcomes and there will be good people who will help. Without the government red tape, things might move much more smoothly.
    We have a doctor nearby,now, who does not take insurance. I have been pushing for that a long time.

Jake Smith and Janine Coral like this.
  12. Matt Head

Matt Head Member
    Registered

We used to get quite excited when playing hide and seek as kids.

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

And now we can't remember why we've hidden in the first place.

14. Jake Smith

Registered

15. Jake Smith

Registered