What Are Some Of The Hobbies You Lost Due To Age?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Jake Smith, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Bruce, I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. Always loved playing music and still do. Trying to just keep up on chores around here, and natural aging makes it hard with all the new akes and pains to perform as well as I once could. My father played and got all five of us boys playing too, as children. My two sisters sang but never picked up any instruments. I'm still picking it up, now and then, and playing at family functions like Thanksgiving with others and one of my brothers too. It's a new pain in my right wrist that runs all the way up to my elbow, feels like a broken arm. After I rest it a 1/2 hour or so it eases off some. Kind of glad it's the right, since I chord with left, and can still hold the pick with right and use it.
    What kind of music do you play? Also very sorry about your severe arthritis in your wrist but am glad to hear you're still picking it up and trying. :)

2. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The severe, debilitating pain has been gone for a year. It was nearly unbearable, but drugs got me through it. The stiffness in my left index is the main problem now, when I try to grab certain notes/positions.

I'm probably two generations in the past when it comes to music. Used to be heavy into bluegrass/old country (grew up with it). Nobody around who plays that anymore though. Chet Atkins has always been my guitar hero, and I attempt his stuff, lame though it is compared to him. I just finger pick with my right hand now, although with bluegrass it was all flat-picking.

Years ago (80s into early 90s) I hung around with some older guys who knew all the pop/big band stuff from the 30s and 40s when they were young bucks. There were some good tunes from back then. The main guy, a Mohawk Indian who played fiddle, died of old age around 1993 and it all petered out after that. :(

What kind of music are you into?

Jake Smith likes this.
  3. Jake Smith

Registered

Almost all music, started with country, then rock and roll, and some rock, blues, and bluegrass with neighbors here now have passed on. Over the years playing with whoever played then just played along with them and learned all I could. To be honest, I'm still amazed at all there is to a guitar, and what it can do.:)
    Loved old Charlie Daniels, RIP, and he could fiddle up a storm and play almost anything. Went and saw him in concert, lots of times.

Bruce Andrew likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Yall got awhile, me either, so be back when I have more time to list them.
    Here is one, waitress,
    I

Jake Smith likes this.
  5. Jake Smith

Registered

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know if you'd call it a hobby, but one of my favorite things to do was to ride bigger and faster roller coasters and thrill rides. We'd plan vacations around chasing down a new thrill.

Now, I've been told that I must choose between the rides and my retinas. As I only have one retina that's worth a darn, it's goodbye to the adrenalin rushes of thrill rides.

Sigh....

7. Jake Smith

Registered

Sorry and I surely can understand too. Rode some when I was younger, it's an adrenalin rush and a half.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  8. Jake Smith

Registered

I saw this and figured it could kind of go here about hobbies and age if you changed the word success to hobbies instead.:confused:

Listen to It's Never Too Late And You're Never Too Old: 50 People Who Found Success After 50 audiobooks by Vic Johnson Gildan Media, LLC / #health #Wellness One of the biggest hurdles people over 50 have to overcome is the mindset about their age. There's an old cliche� of age ain't nothin' but a number. But as we all know, getting older does have certain obstacles such as dwindling health, limited income, and the end of long-time careers followed by now what in the heck do I do?

[​IMG]

This is how I feel about it.
    :)

[​IMG]

John Houlihan and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Balance, have not been able to ride a bicycle in years. I once walked several miles a day. Now I can only walk so far without needing a cane. I have good and bad days on walking. These are only the two that plague me the most.

10. Jake Smith

Registered

Me too, we sold the bikes, hated that.:(

Marie Mallery likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Its a shame you enjoy work so much and enjoy fun so little, plus you have a lot of talent that is being ignored.

Jake Smith likes this.
  12. Jake Smith

Registered

I think this January 1rst, I should make a new resolution, to have more fun and do what hobbies I can still do, before there too hard to do, or I lose them too. :D

Everyone should do that, and have more fun. :rolleyes:

13. Jake Smith

Registered

[​IMG]

As people age, they often look for activities to keep them occupied and engaged. Hobbies can be a great way to do this, and there are plenty of options out there to choose from. Here are 10 of the best hobbies for older adults. #seniorliving #seniorcare #elderlycare #agingparents #hobbiesforseniors

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

I watched a 105-year-old woman crocheting with others as a hobby and they looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Yvonne Smith and Jake Smith like this.
  15. Jake Smith

Registered

A great hobby for some who haven't lost all functions, and is good for us older gentlemen, is fishing with Grands.

[​IMG]

Great for children too.:D

[​IMG]