What About Solar Roadways ?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the most interesting ideas that I have read about lately is the development of solar roadways.
    The basic idea is that it would start with smaller areas, like driveways, and then parking lots, and eventually sidewalks and highways. The solar roads would be self-heating, to keep snow from covering them; and there would not be any more icy roads or need for snowplows or other snow removal equipment.
    Because the solar parkeing lots would also serve as an enormous solar panel; they would be able to produce enough energy to power the ellecrical needs of the store, reducing their use of electricity.
    Even in areas where snow is not a problem; the solar roadways would be a great help because they would have sensors that would light up when there was an animal crossing the road ahead, and this would stop a lot of accidents caused from drivers hitting deer, or other large animals.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Now that looks like an interesting idea, but it would take a lot of the fun out of winter driving. I don't know how many of you have lived in parts of the country where there are moose, but we have plenty of them here in Maine. Moose are different than deer in that, while deer can often be seen at night by the shine in their eyes and by their erratic movements, the eyes of a moose don't shine in the dark and they are not generally concerned much about getting out of the way of oncoming traffic. Dark in color, you can be almost on top of a moose before you know it's there, and its apt to just lounge around in the road, leaving you waiting for it to decide to leave on its own. Honking your horn at it is as likely to provoke a charge as to encourage it to leave the road. I stopped to take a picture of one that was alongside the road once, and had to quickly get back inside my car and reverse because it decided that it didn't want me there.

Ike Willis and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

The only downside I can see in a solar roadway is if you happen to live in a region that simply dos not get much sun. This is the first winter that I can recall in years when we actually have had some sun. Usually it is dark and very grey in the north. I can't imagine how they could have a heater that would melt the amount of snow we get. The first snow this year was 7 feet in one day. I can't imagine how places like Iceland or Norway could use this technology. they would certainly have to do quite a bit of tweaking.

It could be great for places like Florida and California. It certainly would be a greener option. I always thought they could do solar strips, similar to the solar garden lights, that could be used to line driveways and things like that. I love the solar garden lights, sadly we have to pull our out in the winter.

4. Ken Anderson

I believe that all of the highway lights and warning signs along the freeway in Maine, and even some of the back roads, are powered by solar panels, since there is a banks of solar panels all along I-95.

5. Yvonne Smith

I think that they would be building the solar roadways and driveways in areas where there was enough for the sun to power things, either to heat the road and keep off the ice and snow, or to light up warning lights at night.
    Since it is a new technology, there would undoubtedly be some problems at first that would have to be worked out, just like there is with anything new.
    Even if it never got any further than using it in driveways and parking lots; it would still be a great benefit. A Walmart with a solar parkinglot would produce enough solar energy to run the store and all of the streetlights and signs that the store needed; so it would soon pay for itself.
    On highways, it would have to be maintained, and bad panels replaced, but that would not be much different than having to have crews out to repair the roads in the summertime like we do right now. Plus, the roads could have streetlights along the way, so people could see along side of the road better than they can right now, and if the road didn't ice over in the winter, then they would not need all of the snow equipment that is now needed.
    People who live in the north would appreciate not having to shovel their driveways.

6. Marc Epstein

Marc Epstein Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw that video a long time ago. I think it would be amazing. The problem is that it would costs Trillions of dollars to implement. State and local governments could never afford this unless they just print out fake money like they do anyway(lol).

I would love to see an LED lit road, but I could see the lights affecting my eyes and giving me a headache. Solar roadways would probably be a smoother rides because of the lack of bumps in the road.

7. Ken Anderson

Welcome to the forum, @Marc Epstein . Yeah, I don't see this happening any time soon either.

8. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Very interesting. I think my first question is how does this type of light affect my eyes when driving, I do wear glasses and as we all know, as we get older the eye sight becomes impaired and driving at night becomes more difficult. I would like the idea of no ice or snow on the roads and sidewalks during winter. Solar energy can be used to improve our use of our natural resources and save more energy for the future.

9. Yvonne Smith

Since the solar would just be generating energy; the lights would still be operated just like they are now, and it should be he same for your eyes as the light are right now.
    As far as the cost of putting in the solar roads; yes, it would be a huge amount , were the whole country to start changing over all of the roads at once.

However, if they start with parking lots, and those generate enough electricity to run the business, then the solar panels would soon pay for themselves in the electricy bills that were saved.
    Plus, if it were a company that was in a northern state that had snow in the winter, having a heated parking lot with no snow on it would make it much easier for shoppers, and save the store from having to plow the parking lot.

On roads, it would be even better.
    The bare roads would be able to generate a whole lot of solar power, which the states could then sell the power from, that was over the amount they needed to use to run the city, county or state. As they made money from selling the solar electric power, then more roads could be covered with solar panels.

It would indeed take along time before all the roads could be changed over; but doing it one step at a time, as it paid for itself; I think that it would work.

10. Richard Lee

Richard Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

What about road dirt/grime. They would get dirty very quickly. Roads are also too regularly dug up for pipe work etc, would add a lot to the cost of that. I think the best solution would be to make it mandatory that all roofs were coated with solar collectors that is pooled directly into the national grid, and offsets the electricity bill for the property. This would be for residential and commercial properties - with exemption only for historic landmarks/building of interest etc.

11. Yvonne Smith

The Solar Roadways company will be testing out a section of highway on the famous Route #66, and it will be near Conway, Missouri. What they are going to do is install the solar panels at a rest area there, so the MDOT can see how well they work. I imagine that the solar panels would provide all of the power needed to run the electrical power for the rest area.
    Once this has been tested on one rest area, then probably other states will also be looking at the feasibility of using the solar to power other rest areas.

Apparently some of the countries in Europe have also been using solar and are actually ahead of the United States in this. It said that there is even a bike trail (I think it was in the Netherlands) where it has solar panels along the trail.
    Not sure why they would need it on a bike trail; but maybe for bikers (cyclists ?) who travel along the bike path after dark.
    France also is using some solar along some of the roads, so maybe @Julie Stewart can tell us about how it is used in France ?

http://m.csmonitor.com/Technology/2016/0624/Rt.-66-gets-test-run-of-solar-road

12. Ken Anderson

Maine has a lot of roadsigns and traffic signals in rural areas that are solar powered.

13. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith - we don't have any solar road surfaces yet in France but the use of solar power is widespread for road signs, traffic lights and those panels that tell you how fast your driving (with a smiley face if you are NOT speeding!). It is being discussed because the harvesting of solar power is popular, most houses and all new builds have solar panels and sell excess power back to the national grid. There is a lot of excitement about solar road surfaces because the amount of power than can be harvested is huge.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

This is the first time I have heard of solar roadways. I am intrigued with stores being able to produce their own energy. And, of course, if it would be cost effective for the store. Sometimes it takes years to recoop the cost of creating an item such as a solar parking lot. And would the cost be passed on to the customers. Solar roadways and roads are environmentally friendly; I just don't know how financially sound it is.

15. Yvonne Smith

Where did you find the information that it would take years to recoupe the cost of putting in a solar parking lot, @Texas Beth ? I have been interested in this and reading information about it for quite a while now, and I have never seen the information that you are telling us ; so if you can share the source for that information, I would like to read it.
    I would think that the ability to produce electrical power would be saving the company enough money to start paying for the solar panels right away.
    Plus, the panels they are putting in along Route #66 would be at highway rest areas; so there would be no customers that would be paying anything for those parking lots; so I am not sure what you are suggesting about the cost being passed along to customers, either.