Westworld

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You probably remember the original 1973 movie, Westworld, written and directed by Michael Crichton, and starring Yul Brynner. The HBO series is a lengthened remake on the same theme, which is set in an amusement park where people can visit and participate in the Wild West, which is populated by robotic characters playing out various Western themes.

In the HBO series, these themes can be altered by guests, who might decide to shoot one of the robotic characters, or even rape one of the female robotic characters. When a guest alters the script, the characters alter the story line to make up for it, as they don’t realize that they are not real. They read, they make plans, they fall in love, and they dream. While the robotic cast of Westworld are programmed so as to be unable to harm a living person, human guests can do what they want with the robotic cast members.

As you might expect, things go wrong.

Anthony Hopkins has a primary role, along with Ed Harris and others who aren’t familiar to me.

I’ve just finished the first episode, and I’m liking it so far. I think it’s a ten-episode series, which ends with the first season.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Marin Frances Latham

Marin Frances Latham Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been saving Westworld as one I'm looking forward to binge watch. I did hear someone mention that it was one of the challenges of 2016. " trying to figure out what Westworld is about" and I admit it made me slightly nervous.
    I was trying out Goliath but the weather has not been kind to my internet server.

3. Ken Anderson

I have restarted a few episodes but then, I work while the movie is on so that's not unusual. I liked the original movie, but this lengthened adaptation adds much to it, as the robotic characters are becoming human, thinking outside of the roles that were given to them, and becoming aware that something is wrong with the world they live in. It's very well done, and I don't think I'd have had any trouble keeping up with it if I were to sit down and watch it without distraction. There are several backstories, and sub-plots going on between the human staff, human guests, and the robotic characters.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Okay, I have completed the first season. It was excellent, and there will be a second season, which I will be looking forward to.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I recall now that I saw the movie. I don't remember all of the particulars, but it was interesting. The series reminds me somewhat of Humans. I'll have to see what's going on with that. I don't recall where I watched it (other than on cable), so if it's back, I might not be able to access it now, but hopefully they did bring it back for another season, as it was very entertaining and thought provoking. Some of the robotic characters were able to think and feel, and they were being hunted down, as they were deemed dangerous.

6. Ken Anderson

Westworld is full of interesting twists.

7. Ken Anderson

I'm watching the second season now and loving it. Given that I am working while watching it, I have had to start several episodes over, though. Given the scenarios built into the hosts (robotic characters) and the side stories of those who are becoming more independently sentient, to varying degrees, as well as those of the human owners, staff, and visitors, there are a lot of stories going on in each episode. It is among the best series that I have seen; not as good as Little House on the Prairie, but excellent nevertheless.

My biggest problem has nothing to do with the series itself, and probably not with HBO. Between episodes, it has the tendency to drop me out of HBO and back to the main Roku page. When I click my way back in, my place isn't saved and I have to go searching around, trying to figure out which was the last episode I watched.