Were You Ever In A High School Play?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I played the part of Professor Willard in "Our Town". I was perfect for the role because I could mimic the voice of a old man. I missed the last performance because I got Measles.

2. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh no! Sad to miss a finale.

I was in 2 of the annual musicals my high school did -- Oklahoma, and My Fair Lady -- but didn't have a speaking role. Just in the chorus.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was in the senior play during my junior and senior years of high school, and played a few parts in our junior variety show, and was in several community theater productions while in high school. I didn't exactly get the part during my junior year as a result of my superior acting ability, though. They needed someone to play Mr. Big in the Get Smart script they were doing, and they didn't have anyone short enough who was willing to play the part in the senior class. The performing arts weren't exactly the coolest thing that could be done at the time, at least not in my school. The junior variety show was particularly fun, since we changed the words of one of the songs that we did, and complete rewrote a few of the skits, surprising our drama advisor on the night of the performance.

4. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was in one my freshman year of high school in our forensics class.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I was in all sorts of bands from 4th grade through high school. I didn't have time for the other stuff.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, in every school I attended from Jr. High to High I played in the school band so instead of being IN a play, it was mandatory that I played in the band during the play.
    Same thing for sports. No time for sports but I was at every event and parade whilst playing in the band.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Yup.

I was in Pep Band, and got bused to all the Away games to play. I never played in the bands for musicals...I'm not certain they had any. Funny, I don't recall. I was in every band I could join.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Generally speaking, at the schools I attended the school orchestra normally played for musicals and plays. By the time I hit high school I played all the single and double reeds so it wasn’t strange for the band / orchestra director to move me around as he saw fit.

One time I was on a football field in the marching band playing B flat clarinet on a Friday night and the next night I was in the backup orchestra playing the oboe for a Raphael Mendez concert.