Well Behaved Critters

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Diane Lane, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

This is adorable, it's a picture of police K-9s in China, lined up with their doggy dishes, waiting to be fed. They all appear to be well-cared for, which is great to see. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peo...ce-dogs-queue-dinner.html?ito=social-facebook

I'm an animal lover, and hate to see them harmed, which is why I'd rather see police dogs used to comfort people in need, lost children, etc., rather than chasing after bad guys who could (and sometimes do) harm them. I'd rather use robots somehow, or lassos, tasers, etc., rather than take a chance on animals being harmed. But, that's just my viewpoint, and I still like the picture.

2. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

That is so cute! I really love dogs because of how civilized they behave! Given that these are specially trained K-9 dogs, and that dogs are smart anyways, I don't find the fact that they're lining up for food as a surprise.

3. John Donovan

Registered

As for the second part of your post, I guess that it is a necessary evil for dogs to be a part of the police too. They have way better senses than humans, and this means that they can help catch a lot of evil people. It's not like they are thrown out on the battlefield to be slaughtered.

Also, I was watching a documentary on K-9 dogs a few evenings ago, and a trainer said that the dogs see catching drug dealers as playing, so they're most likely having the time of their lives.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, I'm sure they enjoy the chase, for sure. What concerns me is when the criminals turn and attack the dogs, though. I know it doesn't happen all the time, but once is too much for me. I can recall at least 2 cases where I've heard of it happening. Then there are the police officers who leave them in the hot car to die. I've also read at least 2 instances of that, and again, even one time is too many. Dogs do enjoy working though, and seem to feel a sense of accomplishment when they're able to be of service.

5. John Donovan

Registered

I am very sure that those cases are very rare, but let's be fair. Whenever a criminal attacks a dog, though, we must think about it for a minute. Would we rather sacrifice a dog, as cute as they are, or a human life? Dogs are on this planet for a reason, and, just like people sacrifice themselves for others, dogs are supposed to do the same for their caretaker, their friend.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Registered

Honestly, it's probably best that I don't answer that question. I value my pets and many other animals more than a lot of humans, although there are some humans that I actually love ;).

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I love to see well-behaved dogs. Whenever there would be a documentary on tv about dog training, I would watch it until the end. It really amazes me that animals can be made to understand commands.

2 years ago, when our pug Pipoy and pekingese Barbie were puppies, we hired a dog trainer. The session was for 1 hour 3 times a week for the obedience training. The curriculum would cover simple commands like sit, stay, roll over, hell, and some others. The training lasted for 3 months. Don't mind the expenses, it's okay with me. But what do you know? Upon graduation, our 2 dogs have mastered the command Sit... just that and nothing more. And after 2 years, those commands mean nothing to them anymore.

8. Diane Lane

Registered

In graduate school, I had to train rats to do certain tasks, and perform in the 'Rat Olympics', which was a competition among the classmates to see who had mastered the techniques we were learning in class well enough to train animals and humans. My rat won the gold medal, and a classmate dropped the class, so I worked with his partner, and that rat took the silver medal. We didn't actually get gold and silver medals, unfortunately, and I'm really not a fan of that type of behavioral training, since it involves under-nourishing the rats in order to further incentivize the food rewards they were given.

9. John Donovan

Registered

I understand that the answer to that question is as subjective as can be, but I believe that there is a general consensus that a human life values more than an animal. There definitely are, however, people that value way less than an animal.