Welcome To Atlantis

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Tom Locke, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

We have movement. Our new home, at least for the next two or three months, is going to be in a holiday park. In all honesty, I'd have preferred a more traditional type of abode, but beggars and choosers, etc. Internet access appears to be virtually non-existent, so I shall probably be off the air for a good while (is that sighs of relief I'm hearing?).

The way we have decided to approach this is to look upon it as a extended holiday. Unfortunately, it means that I won't be doing much in the way of paid work, but I might be able to get on with writing my next novel, so it's not all wasted time.

Diane Lane and Magalina Lilis like this.
  2. Magalina Lilis

Magalina Lilis Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, we will miss you. Hopefully, you can check in from time to time! Enjoy your "holiday" and excellent idea to continue your writing with another novel! I bet it will be fun to redecorate after the place dries out. I know, it would be for me. That would be my ray of sunshine through the process.

Tom Locke likes this.
  3. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Hope you have a manual typewrite. This is why I have always considered these type of machines essential to have. I was left without electricity once and only my manual typewriter machine kept me going. This can also help you writing while you are back.

We're gonna miss you Tom.

Tom Locke likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This reminds me of my husband's office which was inundated last month. No, it's not the rains. Their office is located on the 4th floor of an old building. It so happened that the water tank is resting on the 7th floor. And when the flooring of the 7th floor gave way, water went down to the floors below.

Some of the computers got wet although they were easily repaired. But the voltage regulators were damaged and other appliances affected were the microwave oven, toaster oven, radio speakers and the chairs and sofa. It was a disaster that couldn't be predicted. It took more than 2 weeks for their office to fully recover.

Tom Locke likes this.
  5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Almost ready to go - bags are packed and we should have lift-off soon. Happily, my laptop was spared any damage, so I've got my writing instrument. It could be an interesting experience, particularly if we get some nice weather. The park is up on hills that overlook the Firth of Forth, so we should have some lovely views, as long as it's a clear day. Hopefully, the flat will be sorted out before the weather gets too cold. One positive thing is that we can get rid of the old sofa, which was looking pretty dilapidated before the unexpected arrival of the monsoon season.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and here's hoping that I'll be back online soon. My local library has internet access, so you may not have seen the last of me just yet...

Diane Lane and Corie Henson like this.
  6. Magalina Lilis

Registered

Hey Tom, when I am out and about, I try to find hot spots that offer free wifi service. In the states, usually McDonald's and Starbucks are good places. I sit outside at one of the tables, enjoy the view and my internet access. Hopefully, you can find some establishments that offer this, too. Of course, the library is a good option, I just feel so confined inside a library, but never thought about sitting outside of a library. Also, the park that sits atop a hill sounds like a fantastic place for inspiration while writing your new novel!

Haha, see I told you it will fun for you all to redecorate, as you are already thinking of a new couch. Good you continue to look at the bright side!

7. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm, wi -fi works...now that surprised me. One thing I can have no complaints about is the view that I have.

IMG_4038.JPG

8. Magalina Lilis

Registered

Are you serious? Oh, I know you are speaking the truth! How lucky to have this magnificent view. Did you use your own cameras to take this picture? The clarity and color is absolutely as striking, as the scenery! It literally took my breath away. Now, if that does not provide an incentive for creative writing for your book, I do not know what would! This is exactly why I want to go visit Scotland, someday.

Actually, I was just reading an article about Scotland today about Golden Eagles. Yep. I am a bird lover! Kind of off topic, but thought I would throw it out there that you have a beautiful homeland and some beautiful birds, too.

Hope you are all adjusting to your new temporary home. Glad you have your WiFi back!

9. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, it's my photo, taken on Thursday morning on my Canon IXUS.

I'm a birdwatcher, though I'd need to go a long way (and be very lucky) to see any Golden Eagles. There are a few in Scotland, but much further north than where I am. I did see a buzzard on that very morning, but they are pretty common and not quite as big!

Although it's not as sunny today, the view is clearer, so I got a reasonable shot of Edinburgh across the Firth of Forth. In the first picture, you can see the bridges across the Forth (rail nearest, road behind). In the second, the big hill is Arthur's Seat.

008.JPG 009.JPG

10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Tom Locke, you are like my husband whose camera is an extension of his hand. Whenever we would fly, expect him to take pictures of the airport. He never misses to video the takeoff and also the landing on the other airport. He said, that's for complete documentation of our travels, be it domestic or international.

In our latest trip, he chanced upon an interesting sight - the jet plane owned by Manny Pacquiao resting by the parking bay in the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. There.... IMG_3495 pacman jet.JPG

Diane Lane and Magalina Lilis like this.
  11. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I fear my enthusiasm for camera-work is being over-estimated. I can honestly say that I have only taken one photo of an airport (in Albania, if you're wondering). It was simply a case of liking the view from my temporary home!

12. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

A quick visit to the wreckage of my home revealed that we have some progress. The carpets, walls and ceilings have all been stripped and the place looks desperately bare. Nevertheless, I take this as an encouraging sign.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I have discovered that one of the problems of living in what amounts to a large tin can is that if you go out on a sunny day, you get hit by a blast wave of hot air when you return. This being Scotland, we don't get that many sunny days, admittedly, but they do occur and the place heats up very quickly.

On the other side of this particular coin, it also cools down very quickly, leaving me hoping that I will be out of this dwelling before winter arrives.

Perhaps I can survive the winter, though. I'm sure my old headmaster told me one day that I was born to luge.

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Magalina Lilis

Registered

Glad to hear about the progress from your unfortunate water damage! I know what you mean about how empty a place feels without the furnishings. Hopefully, you all will be back home before winter!

Side Note - Enjoyed your additional pictures, especially of Arthur's Seat. I put it on my bucket list for a great region to take a hike, when I make it to Scotland...

Tom Locke likes this.
  15. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Make certain to bring something waterproof. It rains a lot (in fact, it's raining right now!).

Magalina Lilis likes this.