Weird Problem With The Forum

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Beth Gallagher, Oct 30, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I turned my Enhanced Tracking off for here a while ago. I only do that when it's causing issues, but I cannot recall exactly what was wrong. I just spun through the Help Requests forum to see if I discussed it there, but I did not. I thought for sure that Ken and I talked about it, but I had that conversation with another forum owner so might be confused.

I can tell you from experience elsewhere that Enhanced Tracking interferes with anything that uses Java Script; for example, the interactive Weekly Sale Ads on grocery store websites will not load at all if Enhanced Tracking is enabled. Product Pages on Walmart's website stopped loading for a while with Enhanced Tracking on (they must have made a change on their end), but have started working again with it turned back on.

Just for grins, turn it off here and play with it.

I have a couple of websites that I've done everything I can to add them as Trusted.
    -I click on their Login box that says "Remember This Computer."
    -I've added the url for their main page, their Login page, and every other variant I can think of to Trusted Sites
    -I've called their Tech Support to get advice...they just walk me through the basic steps I've already done.
    None of that has worked...every time I log on, they have to send me a special code via text.

It seems that Firefox exhibits different behaviour for different users, as though the default configurations are not standard.

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

You have gotten your system so confused it doesn't want to do anything because you changed your mind so many times. And does behavior have a 'u' in it?

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

Sure does, neighbour.
    Perhaps we can meet at the theatre later...they've come out with colour. ;)

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not changing any more of my settings. I'm not interested enough in the "why" to waste my time. My point in this thread was simply to see if any change was made in the forum software and if anyone else is experiencing a similar issue. Only Nancy appears to be having the Home Button Blues, and she's using Chrome. :D

5. John Brunner

Heck, just click on the Shield, turn it Off, and the page refreshes automatically. Then test it.
    The setting is site-specific...it's not a universal change.
    It's two clicks to turn it back on again.

Do it for The Greater Good so we'll have the data point.

6. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm using Firefox 82.0.2 including Enhanced Tracking Protection like you. Cookies, website data. and history are removed each time I close the browser. Just noticed one difference: I have set my Protection Settings at Balanced/Standard whereas yours are "Strict".
    No problems with this site.
    Just saying since you don't want to go into this any further.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yeah; my settings have not changed. Always set to "strict" so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Thanks, Thomas.

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  8. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

My problem is different: Once again, load times are terrible! I have to keep going back and clicking on links over and over in order to get them to load. I do not have this problem with any other sites, whatsoever. If this problem doesn't resolve itself in the next few days, I guess I'll be leaving. I like it here, so I hope things clear up.

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Trevalius Guyus, try using Control F5 and see if that helps you while your in SoC.

10. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry, the problem happens when I'm on my Samsung Note 9, Android.

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Did you reboot your android? I think you can find it in the settings maybe at the bottom of the list.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I thought I'd post a follow-up to this thread. For some reason (and without any intervention on my part), the Home button works again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A Christmas miracle. :D

13. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It may or may not have anything to do with settings. A few days ago, or yesterday, whenever ( I forget),
    a few times within the day,
    I was logged in normally, and clicked on something on the page,
    and
    the "you must log in" or other similar showed up - I had to log in again.

Firefox might have a lot to do with it - there is a lot of unknown things happening with many browsers...

Anyhow, I did not "fix" it - as far as I know I did not change anything, and after a while, it stopped happening.

In my system, on firefox, and perhaps on yours, could easily be unwanted AI software or other sometimes called mal-ware, watching everything typed, every page visited, and so on....

It's not 'good', but without knowledgeable programmers/computer-ists, it might not be found out.

14. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My "slow loading" problem was quickly resolved by going to "AOL Service", and selecting option #5: "Technical Service".

The agent took control of my mouse and fixed everything up in a matter of minutes, all from Manila, Philippines!

Now I can access anything on the Internet in less than 2 seconds.

Hal

15. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, and so can "they" ! (access everything on your system) in less than 2 milli seconds....