Weight Loss Challenge?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Bill Boggs, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

It rained hard in town last night, so the lawn mowing and hedge trimming will start up again. Not sure out at the farm. Will find out this afternoon.

I've also got 3 dead red tips in the back yard that need cut down. Fighting plants and animals is my main exercise.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Registered

Great! Whatever works for you is good.

Bill Boggs and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Registered

Whenever a day that you can't control happens, enjoy it, start again the next day, and don't fret over it.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is my philosophy, too, and about the best way to deal with a unproductive day of any kind.

Don Alaska, Bill Boggs and Nancy Hart like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

One thing I have had to learn, and relearn and relearn is that the type of exercise that I do can and does bring about some pretty huge weight changes very very fast.
    For one, I only weigh in about once a week because frankly, I do not want to keep that close of an eye on it. That said, yesterday I weighed in and I was sitting right at 242. This morning, 233 and a couple of ounces.
    I shouldn’t have been so alarmed yesterday because I already know that muscle fiber will fill and be surrounded by water after a hypertrophic type of exercise. That added to the fact that some of my supplementation plus building muscle fiber has a definite effect on how much I weigh hence my reason for not using BMI.

I think I’m going to enjoy this thread because I too have some goals regarding fat loss. I really really want to get down to about 12% or lower when it comes to overall fat even though my goal is to weigh in at about 250. In other words, lose weight due to fat retention and gain muscle mass which causes weight gain.

Don Alaska and Bill Boggs like this.
  6. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a couple pots of cabbage soup going a week. Soup for breakfast and I'm about to have a bowl with cut up avocado and it's filling and does the job...calories, who knows.

I remember probably 30 some yrs back there was a weight loss cabbage soup craze, don't hear much about it but don't look for it either. To my cabbage soup I add some veggies and onions for sure, and often a can low sodium progresso veggie soup, so so good.

I know for me, and I've been eating too many gluten free pretzels, they are still carbs, that I just NEED to STOP and I can do that.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I like cabbage but to my knowledge which is awesome, Cabbage has only been cooked one time in my house in sixty years.
    My MIL lived with us and once she cooked cabbage, only once. She and I would eat cabbage when we went to a cafeteria,
    which were more popular back then. On cooking cabbage she said never again so I've not eaten much cabbage since. I did try
    to cook a few leaves of red cabbage once. Wasn't too good. The Mrs and I went vegetable shopping this morning. Bought some
    low cal veggie dinners(as in tv dinners).

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just a tip on cabbage from someone who has grown and eaten a LOT of cabbage (because it grows like a weed here), the flavor and texture of cabbage varies greatly by variety. We have summer cabbage that we grow and eat fresh, savoy (crinkly) cabbage that we eat fresh as well. The savoy seems to be sweeter here, but is sometimes a bit tougher. Cabbage roll cabbage, that lacks a strong central vein and is easier to roll around ground meat, vegetables, or rice. Storage cabbage is what we grow most of, as it tides us over the long winter here. The summer and storage cabbages come in both red and green varieties. Of course, oriental or Chinese cabbage is also an option that is probably the sweetest of all, comes in two types, and doesn't store well at all, but is great in stir-fries and salads. Varieties will not be obvious to you if you buy in a grocery store, but if you can get to a farmers' market or produce shop, they should be able to steer you to the type of cabbage you want. I would suggest trying several types to see if you can tell the difference.:)

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Joy Martin

Registered

I like savoy a lot but keep forgetting to buy it. Some markets don't carry it but a lot do.

I have NO GARDEN and happy to have plants in my apt. Thanks.

10. Joy Martin

Registered

Did you check the sodium content of the tv dinners. Those dinners are highly processed.

11. Bill Boggs

Registered

Well,,er, a, no, don't reckon I did.

12. Nancy Hart

Registered

Bill, I like those inexpensive low cal TV dinners when I'm trying to cut calories. They always have too much gravy, imo, so I dump a cup of mixed vegetables in, and swish them around in the gravy. . It makes the vegetables palatable. :p

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

I'm going to try them. In my present condition and situation controlling the spikes in my blood sugar
    Is more important than losing weight. The weight I carry is not straining my clothes, they don't look
    too small on me, and if you'll pardon my French, I look pretty good right where I'm at. But my doctor
    thinks with the heart problems I've had along with some diabetic problems, losing a few pounds
    Would be a good thing. So, I'll cut a few calories, skip a few portions, and get 'er done.

Bobby Cole and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I too find that I am a few pounds over what I call my comfort zone..
    I will be going on a food plan starting on Monday.. Why Monday, is because I will be doing my food shopping for the week on Sunday..
    I will start out by eliminating 5 foods from my shopping list and see how that works out.. I have done it before and it works.. The 5 foods are..
    Flour..... anything made with flour or that contains flour..
    Sugar ... anything that has sugar or that contains sugar..
    Rice ..... anything with rice in it..
    Potatoes..
    Corn..
    That leave me with fish, meat, chicken, salads, lots of different veggies, fruit, and a whole lot of food to eat..
    What I am doing is eliminating the bad carbs from my food..
    Now, to go along with that, I normally drink lots of water daily.. I am a water drinker from way back..
    Started drinking lots of water about 60 years ago and have been a water drinker ever since..
    These days, I drink about 80 ozs of water daily.. That is water, and coffee, tea, pop, and other liquids don't count.. I have a large water container that I put in a large ice block to keep the water iced all day.. A container from yogurt will do it..

I will follow this way of eating for about 2 to 3 weeks and I will keep you informed on my weight..
    I will weigh myself on Monday morning upon waking up and every Monday after that..
    I PROMISE I will be honest with my weight and how I feel.. If not, I'm only fooling myself..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Bobby Cole, Nancy Hart and Bill Boggs like this.
  15. Bill Boggs

Registered

I went to bed after consuming 835 calories and slightly hungry.
    Couldn't go to sleep, read a while. Got up at 1:15, made a
    piece of toast, ate two Glorys dime tomatoes, three olives, two
    bite sized pieces of yellow bell peppers, and a boiled egg; had
    a cup of tea.
    6:30 Sunday morning:
    Calories: 1170
    Weight: 174.6

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Nancy Hart likes this.