Wearing Glasses

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kitty Carmel, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I wear glasses as I'm sure many here do. I finally got progressives about 10 years ago. I feared them but got used to them within hours. I also have reading glasses. I've needed to wear glasses since I was young but only started wearing them all the time when I was in my later 20's. I got some when I was in junior high probably but I rarely wore them. They were stop sign shaped metal and I guess I just hated them. Too bad my parents had to pay for them.

The other day at work I noticed a coworker had glasses on with the same frame shape as mine. She said she got them at Costco. My glasses cost a small fortune about 6 years ago even with my insurance deduction. I have a complicated prescription with astigmatism and pay extra for thinner lenses. I didn't think Costco does complex prescriptions but someone said they will by sending them out.

For those that wear glasses, where do you get them? I can never wear the cheap readers. I like the doctor at the place I went to but some of the staff there were not so great. The first exam young woman complained how slow her co-workers are and how great she is. Then when I got these glasses they were not adjusted right (way too tight) and I had to go back in. Place doesn't seem worth the cost.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kitty Carmel
    Your plight is similar to my wife's. Since age two, she has had a condition in one eye in which the eye muscles controlling the eyeball are goofed-up (forgive the term, I know of no better). Unless she concentrates on maintaining the "view", her eye rotates upwards and stops contributing to sight. The lens which helps keep the eye stable is called "prism" correction. One eye doctor declared she did not need prism correction, and wrote her new prescription without it. Upon trying the new glasses, her eye immediately rolled upwards, such that the whole eye appeared white. Such an eye "doctor" is a Charlatan. How is one to know in advance?
    Frank

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Always had problems with opticians, I know the tests are tricky to get right but I hate going because of it
    Dentists - even worse ! I'm suffering with me teeth as I post, but I won't go till me knees give way :rolleyes:

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Awww, my daughter is a great dentist and if you were here she'd even treat you for free or at least the cost of the lab because you're a friend of mine...in any case she wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Of course I don't know if dental in the UK is free or covered like health care.

As for glasses @Kitty Carmel i buy mine at Costco...seems they're the cheapest and Ive never had a problem..I wear progressive lenses.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

dentist are not free in the UK...

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I just had my eyes checked earlier this month and was very happy to know my eyes have not changed enough to need new glasses...since a new pair would have cost me around $500 even with what my Vision Insurance pays.

My daughter wants to take me to Costco to check on the prices there as her husband wears contacts and he gets great prices at Costco for them. I wear the Progressive lenses too and my eyes will not take the less expensive lens either...they throw off my balance and give me vertigo.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm so sorry dentist give you such anxiety. I don't like to go either but I'm grateful for dental care. Want to keep my teeth. I've lost one back molar that could not be saved.

I'm going to go talk to them at Costco. I let my membership go but if I can get glasses there, it would be worth the cost just for that.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter gets her contacts at costco

10. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Lucky so far to only need readers. I buy multi-packs of cheap ones since I misplace
    or break them at work.
    The wife says they are everywhere in the house; every drawer and at least 3 pair in the car.
    Right now I'm at +1.50, but soon to move up to +2.00.
    Even carry one of those credit card size magnifiers in my wallet.
    ( got plenty of room, since she won't let me carry any money in it...):)

Kitty Carmel and Babs Hunt like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've worn glasses since I was about ten. I usually just get my prescription filled from the eyeglass place connected with my eye doctor's office. I have thought of getting the done at BJ's or somewhere cheaper, but they're not overly expensive anyhow, so I just go with that. I don't replace them more often than once every couple of years or so. If unfamiliar, BJ's is pretty much like a Costco or a Sam's Club.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    I, too, got glasses at ten, after my teacher noted I could not see the blackboard from the rear of the room. I hated the idea, sissy, you know. Got them in winter, I recall distinctly walking out of the eye doctor's office wearing the new glasses, and was amazed to see the small twigs on the trees glistening with freezing rain, where before such tiny detail was not visible.
    Frank

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I have prescription glasses that cost $300 bit most of the time I wear reading glasses from Walmart that just cost a few dollars.

14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My last pair of prescription glasses cost just around $400 so when I need a new pair I will definitely be shopping around for the best price.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I never wore prescription glasses until 2008, after I was diagnosed Diabetic II. My vision was 20-20 when I was examined at Navy Basic Training in 1968. I started wearing Reading Glasses in 2005.

Neither wife nor I have got our prescription glasses from anywhere else than an eye doctor's office. Due to membership qualifications, we can't get a membership at Costco. One thing we do go by, when it comes to prescription glasses, "cheaper doesn't always mean better". My Progressive glasses, with non-scratch and sun-changing lenses, cost us around $500 w/my wife's Vision Insurance. Since my DL states I have to wear glasses when driving, I keep a 1-yr. older pair in our vehicle, in case I forget to put on my glasses at home. I don't wear my glasses all the time at home, like my wife does. Of course, in keeping a 1-year older pair, we have to buy both lenses and frames for me. My last frames were only $50, because the company that makes them are discontinuing the style.

Because of my some lack of "distance" seeing, due to a fairly bad cataract in one eye, the beginning of next year I will get a "dilation" test from a eye surgeon and end up having cataract surgery. The cataract was seen three years ago, but wasn't that bad, however it has progressively got worse. Because we are both Diabetic II, Medicare and wife's company vision insurance will help pay for the surgery. Wife gets her eye test this coming year and, most likely, she will need new glasses as well.