Wealth Of Senators And Congressmen

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Hal Pollner, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I would guess that all well-established US Senators and Congressmen are millionaires.

In addition to their Government salaries, I would assume that they have large bank accounts from other private or government-related ventures.

Hal

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't think most of the House members are millionaires, but most of the Senators certainly are. And Trump is probably the only person in many years who didn't enrich himself markedly from public office. He is actually losing money in the Presidency.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A good example might be rep. Maxine Waters. She was dirt poor prior to entering into politics and now has a net worth of about 1.7 million beans and lives in a 5 million dollar mansion.

Obama had a few bucks prior to becoming a senator but During and after his presidency he amassed 5 mansions and has a net worth of 40 million.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  4. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Most members of Congress have to maintain two residences---one in their state, and one in the Washington D.C. area. .. If they didn't spend time in their home state people would complain. .. If they didn't spend time in D.C., people would complain.

Lulu Moppet and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I get your point but I really do not know how to respond.
    There has been some talk about opening a dormitory type of housing whereby the legislators can have a place to stay whilst in D.C. and maintain a home in their individual states.
    Obviously, some of the freshmen do not have the wherewithal (yet) to have two residences but I really do not have a great answer for you Nancy. :(

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I wasn't really asking a question, but the dormitory thing sounds like a good idea. I remember hearing that some had cots and slept in their offices. I would. lol

Maggie Mae and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Our Senator Susan Collins probably couldn't find her way to Maine if she had to drive. She never has any serious opposition in election years, given that she's a Republican who votes like a Democrat, so she barely even campaigns in the state. She shows up late at the Maine Republican Convention, gives a speech, and flies back to wherever she actually lives. During one Republican convention, at least half of the delegates walked out on her to hang out in the lobby "until the Democrat convention was over." She wins reelection on the strength of Democrat votes, unenrolled voters, and those Republicans who can't look beyond the "R" after her name.

Senator King, on the other hand, is in the state often, on top of being way more approachable at his offices in Washington, DC. He's registered as an Independent but he votes Democrat.