We May Be Getting Dates!

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith Don't believe I mentioned our little fig. We planted it two years ago, and it was about 20" tall. It promptly produced a few small figs! They were delicious! Dropped all it's leaves off over winter, which here was pretty mild this time, lowest temp one AM was 35 degrees. I worried about, my wife, ever the optimist, explained they were deciduous. Sure enough, huge new growth this last few months. Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]
    The enclosure's purpose was to help cut the wind damage, and keep out the bunnies, they are voracious! Plastic netting all around and on top, had to cut the top back as the tree was getting higher than the "ceiling"! Here's a close-up:
    [​IMG]

Below, a side shot showing the Date Palm grown from a pit! It's about 4 years old now, I believe.
    [​IMG]

Below, the poor little Pomegranate beaten half dead by the wind, flowers still clinging, but some lost.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, this guy is called a "Little John" (!), a variety of Bottle Brush, having shorter "brushes", but more of them. It's 2 years old now. Close-up below this pic, to show the resemblance to a brush; uncanny!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.