We May Be Getting Dates!

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Endless avocados would be my heaven...almost. If I was going to risk a dog attack it would be for an avocado.

2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL! Yvonne!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Same problem in Oregon and Washington too Yvonne. You just have to tell people sometimes if it was so great where they lived to go back there. :) Of course, if you are working in a government office I don't think you are allowed to. Only under your breath. :)

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Veteran Member
    Registered

I ate my fair share and of course my Dad sold thousands of lugs of them. I still love them but I have to pay through the nose for them now.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, they aren't cheap, not even in CA. Good for you but high calorie.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith : I planted a bunch of pits, perhaps 20, and got 3 or 4 which germinated, so be patient! I used potting soil, kept moist most of the time. My wife advised me to allow the pits to dry out completely before planting, so I waited about a month. I have a couple coming up in a pot in my shop right now. I'll snap a pic tomorrow. Frank

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Had no idea, Jim! Guess I forgot, you lived in CA?

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith : I believe they average about 40 calories each. If all sugar, that would correspond to nearly 4 teaspoonsful, so I suspect there are other mineral-goodies in them.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

There were fig trees at the last place I lived, and it was nice to have access to them, especially for free. I haven't seen any down in this area, for some reason, although I don't know why. I've never seen a date palm, although I've heard of them. What a nice crop to have on your property. It seems the palms here are more for show, and even the banana plants just drop their fruit and no one eats it.

Yvonne Smith and Ruby Begonia like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Last year, we got a small fig tree from Lowes. It is about 2-3' tall. Since it has always just been in a pot, we were not sure if it would make it through the winter if we left it outside, and we kept it inside all winter.
    This spring, the fig tree started leafing out again, and we took it outside when the weather started warming up, and planted it out in a sunny spot in the back yard. It should be somewhat sheltered out there.
    This winter, we will leave it outside, since @Sheldon Scott says they have one and it winters fine. Our climate is about the same as his, since he is just west of us.
    I don't know how long it will take before we get some figs; but I am looking forward to seeing it bloom and bear fruit.

Frank Sanoica and Diane Lane like this.
  11. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Veteran Member
    Registered

Frank, I was born and worked there till I retired in '91. BTW when I did live there I was a rare native most "Californians" are actually from other states.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

True I guess, Jim. I am and my daughter is but I'm pretty sure my son in law and his mother were born here.

He didn't live here though his whole life, think his parents split and he ended up going to Dental school in Illinois where my daughter met him. He was a year ahead of her and when he graduated he came back to CA. He'd fly my daughter out on her vacations. He flew back for their wedding which was in Indiana where we lived at the time.
    He flew back after the wedding and my daughter, although graduated had a few patients in clinic to finish before she could go to CA to live.

13. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Veteran Member
    Registered

Chrissy, "New native Californian's" is one thing but try and find we who were born in the depression. I was the first native in my who extended family but now with the proliferation of births it's easier to find natives.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm sure my son in laws family goes way back in CA.

15. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I did a quick Bing search (gotta get those numbers up) and found this:
    How many years does it take for a fig tree to fruit?
    Four years to five years
    It is not uncommon for figs to fail to set fruit or ripen properly. Figs have a long juvenile period, or length of time in which a plant will not produce fruit -- possibly four years to five years.

I was hoping it would be sooner, then I'd consider planting one. The ones where I last lived were huge full sized trees. I'll have to see if there are dwarf ones available, and if so, how long before those yield fruit. I doubt I'll end up here permanently, so I don't want to plant too much in the ground. I'm resigned to leaving my palm here when I eventually move. I'd love to have some fruit trees, and they seem to do well in this climate.