We May Be Getting A Couple Dogs This Morning

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You are making me want a dog, Marie.

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

They are good for us they can't talk for one thing and tell you what an ass you are at times, and they bring more smiles than frowns to your face.
    Plus, so many dogs are being abandoned now since economy went south, people are giving them up or just dumping them. It is sad seeing them beg to leave shelter. We got ours from our vet though. But have adopted many over the years from shelters, dog pounds. Cats too.
    It can be challenging but also rewarding. Happy dog hunting Beth.

Jake Smith likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We have been dog people forever, but the loss of my little Harry in 2017 just broke my heart in two. We haven't been able to bring ourselves to look for another pup, but it does get lonely around here without a fuzzy butt.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

We lost our Alice in 2017 she was a great dog. We lost out little Becky in 2019,we had tears in our eyes everytime something reminded us of her.
    Beth it is so hard tose them but we find joy in them while we can and bring others in to help them and us. We have a pet cemetery here with cats,dogs,a baby bull, . Buried a lot of them. Also loved a lot of em too. Why give up joy for you and another lucky pet?

Jake Smith likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Had I lived in the country rather than in cities and towns most of my life, I'd have gotten a dog. I grew up on a farm where our dogs ran free, so I never wanted to have a dog that I'd have to keep in the house and walk on a tether. I know, that's a dog's life these days. Even in my hometown, people don't let their dogs run free anymore.

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

All ours are free to roam a big back and front yard. I agree it is hard on a dog and it would be too hard on us to see one on a chain. These dogs we adopted were on chains for 1 year and one month. Said female had a trench dug from pacing. They may always be a little neurotic because of it. Inside a house isn't so bad if they get exercise and go out now and then I would think its better than a shelter, but I agree yard is best. In the country where I partly grew up our dogs ran free. Our wolf got shot in the face with buckshot though. But most had a great life.

Jake Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, it's safer for a dog to have an enclosed space, plus most towns have leash laws. I know that when I take a walk around the neighborhood I don't want any strange dogs nipping at me. (And that does happen due to the "laws-don't-apply-to-me" crowd.)

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

In the country where I grew up most people didn't have dog fences mostly horse and cattle fencing. Dogs would dig right out of a fence. We had 100 acreas of land in Stone Mountain and granddaddy had apts houses all over Atlanta so we lived in both city and country. So our dogs would adjust.
    Our dogs got shot, snake bit and beat up in dog fights back in the 50s and early 60s. It seemed the well pump was always going out so lots of hauling water in buckets from the well. Lots of bathing and washing clothes in the lake spillway or creek. I stomped many of clothes and linen out in the creek, like stomping grapes. It sure came in handy when I had kids knowing how to stomp instead of bend over and scrub.
    Times were different with different priorities.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

We let them listen to this video of dogs howling, they got all excited and started howling too.

Jake Smith likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Foxy was barking yesterday, come to find out it was a Diamond Back rattler she had cornered; it was not real big, and Hubby took it to the woods with his snake grabber. It was next to the house so now we have to watch out, think it came from under storage building.
    Yesterday was a busy day:eek:, all kinds of snake encounters, some two legged.

Jake Smith likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Little Foxy has such a personality, she is so cute and prissy, Leo is sweet but more standoffish,now and then he comes up for attention and acts playful, Foxy demands it. Make us happy most of the time now, they are learning and so are we.
    Old dog Molly is getting use to them she likes the change. We never leave them alone with her she is almost 15 and not real stable on her feet. She loves her trot to the mailbox every morning, gets me ready for workout too.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Old dog Molly says just give me a rope,and free me from the mongrels,

[​IMG]

Jake Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

See the red dog cowering in the back, he acts totally different now, He plays, is friendly and only runs if sudden noise or we pick up and object. He must have been more abused than the female. But now he comes up ro us.

Jake Smith likes this.
  14. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Recent Leo and Foxy, they gained some weight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

These two have a bad licking problem, so After saying NO Licky for months I found a remedy, I smear half a lemon on my arms and legs, and they stopped ' lickity split ' One lick and they keep wiping their mouth and give me nasty looks when they walk by.:cool:

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.