We May Be Getting A Couple Dogs This Morning

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Today it seems they regressed back to neurotic. Hubby had a dental appt, in town so we were gone several hours. We came back at 7pm to 2 dogs running and hiding ,acting like we were going to kill them.

They would not come near us and kept running and hiding in the yard. I scared them right before we left by pulling up the blinds in the house, they acted very afraid, male almost jumped threw the screen porch.
    It is going to take us some time for sure.
    They came back on the porch on their own and laying on their beds,they do like the beds.
    I think its time for hands on lessons, so they get use to us. Start with just calling them by their names and while we slightly pull on lead line. Maybe separate them but close enough so the other can watch.
    Let them loose every 10 minutes or so,only a couple 10 minute lessons a day for now.
    What do yall think ?

2. Marie Mallery

Registered

Cody I'm 72 and hubby is 66 so some days are better than others. Been together now for 44 years . We are both blessed with energy,but like you say still old now.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Hey, not to change your thread here, but you did do a thread on quitting smoking and I asked how you were doing. Got no answer, that I seen. Are you going to try?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Sorry Cody its hard to keep up with all the work plus these two new dogs.

I have cut the cigarettes in half now but not too concerned with it now I figure the damage is done and will be dealing with it either way. But I can tell because I cough more now that I tampered down so much.
    Thank you for asking.

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Day 10 and the dogs are coming along fine. You can't even feel their bones hardly at all now when we pet them.
    Hubby was trying to load some pic's he took today but having trouble doing so. Maybe later?

I made them some treats, 2 lessons I taught them and they already sit and come. So far they seem very smart. Now will add Stay next lesson. It takes time.

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Taken today.They both have a little tummy now and not boney.
    Rags,would not stand for picture.

Foxie is like the Road Runner full of energy. Rags has 2 Foxie bites in his nose. They did look pretty bad now healing. Rags has a calmer personality but likes to paw you and both like to lick so working on that along with everything else.
    [​IMG]

Foxie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Foxie
    [​IMG]

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

So far they make us smile more than frown and hope it stays that way. We both smile alot when around them.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Foxie and Rags are doing better but still a little paranoid at times. Foxie is full of energy, should have named her the Road Runner.
    Rags seems really smart. I took them both for a walk on the lease today, they did ok.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

We like to let the 4 chickens' free range during the day.
    These two think its meal time! They want to chase them so now we have to teach them a lesson. Alice use to teach new dogs about chicken chasing, she would jump on them big time over her chicks, never hurt them just put major fear in them. Alice passed at 19 in 2017.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Called vet to make appt for 10:20 Monday. Our vet is where we found these dogs. And the man did get Foxie spayed and all their shots are up to date. But by the time he found them a home they were pretty malnourished. I'm sure nobody wanted these two so its not his fault.Most people would have took them to dog pound I guess.
    So its good we have their medical records. I pray Rags doesn't have heart worms. His rapid breathing really concerns me.Yall say a prayer they are both ok. I have been dealing with dental work every since we got them.

Kate Ellery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Molly is growling at them now,she is 15 and no patience for these two gangsters. Foxy growled at Molly first.We don't leave them alone with each other. They are chasing off out crows, Clucker and Nikki the screamer.One of our hens killed the mother crow aka Pretty Bird. Then something killed Goldie the hen that same night.:(
    Oh well guess I'll just dance [if thats what ya call it]. Mercy Mercy Me.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Foxy just licked me across the eyeball! That should go good with a sinus perforation!! I can't splash alcohol across my eye.:eek:
    I also taught them about not getting under my feet, I stomped on their feet.:rolleyes:

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

BTW I didn't "stomp" stomp their feet, just stepped to let them know not to keep clawing my legs with paws.
    Today has been a good day for us all so far .

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

GREAT NEWS! NO HEART WORMS IN EITHER DOG!
    But they do have bad worms,hook and another one I forgot.
    Git the meds and started treatment. Said the breathing is likely due to the worm that can also get in the lungs. We've had this vet for 24 years and the whole office is happy we took them in. Said they were in terrible shape when they first saw them in Oct and Feb. eat up with fleas ,ticks and really in poor health.
    Rags only weighed 23lb.s in Feb. now weighs 46.

Hook worms and Whip worms.read on report.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Kate Ellery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Can you explain to a dumb person the difference between Rescue and Shelter?

Marie Mallery likes this.