We Finally Got To Clearing Vines, Small Trees!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Marie Mallery, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I can hardly believe how much we have done. It is amazing.
    I thought about the movie Shaw Shank Redemption " get busy living to get busy dying" and a Bible verse " plenty of rest i n the grave where your going" and got busy.
    Over last month I got lots of scars and thorn and briar cuts but it beats sitting around. It is so boring now that we don't go to visit anyone.
    Hubby said I'm addicted to vines now,lol. We cut down a couple little trees today growing thru fence.We haul it to back of property to dry make pile to burn later. Plus garden and house work keeps us busy and we don't sm0oke nearly as much. Smoked nearly 60 years so need to stop but we probably won't.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The devil finds work for idle hands. So you are keeping the devil at bay. ;):)

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thats true too,and I hope so.lol.

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

I have cut back some vines off trees I can see from the porch. I already cut them from ground last year. Now that they died back some I need to go into the woods and pull them out of the tops of trees that will be pretty when spring summer bring out leaves.They are in my view sitting on porch. It bothers me since this isolation has made me obsessive.
    I have to take down a fence or walk thru woods, neither are good a choice.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Guess what's back? If you said vines, you be right. Back with a vengeance, I think trimming them suckers made them stronger.

Hubby said " don't want to hear it,don't care". Of course, most will wait till this winter. But it is frustrating to see them. Hubby said I'm obsessed, :(

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

what kind of vines are they?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Teresa best answer I can give is all kinds. Mostly wild grape, wild potato ,but some have giant thorns of them that will rip you a new one.

[​IMG]

See how they take over tree tops? It eventually kills the tree.Took these last year..

[​IMG]

8. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

my goodness...those are huge...i know you're exhausted from trying to control those..those big thorns would stop a criminal...or any critter from coming in

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

I use loppers on all but the big ones like those. Hubby using a pole saw on those. But I do cut some fairly big ones with loppers.

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

I just thought we had vines till spring hit not there is about a million I missed. Guess who doesn';t care? You all know how much I give a darn about these vines now. If you guessed not at all you'd be right. I hate the darn things. But I still get to enjoy my trails so happy trails to me.Nobody else cares. My kids sure don't.All in their 50s and not impressed.I took them around trails a couple months ago and all they said was, Looks good. Humor me will you.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Can you just burn the woods this fall? I remember my dad doing that to get rid of scrubby undergrowth.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

If I want a forest fire I can. Beth theses woods are full of giant hundreds of years old oak. We sold the pines15 year ago but plenty of oaks, cedar, wild cherry and bay trees. I think all the old pecan trees finally fell.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I remember it being quite a job to "burn off the woods." My parents would have to tend to the fire to make sure it didn't spread and get out of control. This was mostly piney woods, though.

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

When we first moved here and made a paddock for the horse and donkey, we tried to burn it off, it got out of hand and went into neighbor's property. Thank goodness we put it out. We had a burn permit.
    People are always burning their pastures here. Burning is great for the soil puts potash and other minerals back into the ground.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I remember my dad using the tractor to establish a "fire break" and having a water tank on the tractor in case things got away from them.