We Didn't Need American Bandstand

Discussion in 'Music' started by Boris Boddenov, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The same time that AB went national -- on ABC in 1957 -- our local ABC affiliate went with a local dance show, Buddy Deane, which for a significant time during its seven-year tenure was America's most popular local teen dance show. Deane had been a popular local DJ on AM radio when he got the TV gig.

Thing that was cool was that both the committee members and guests were people that you might know. "Hey Joe, I saw you on BD yesterday hoppin' around like you have two left feet." Guests would simply request tickets to appear.

The same musical artists who appeared on AB also visited BD, because pre-cesspool Baltimore was the 6th largest city in the US at that time and obviously had a big musical market.

People who insisted on seeing AB could tune in to the local ABC Wash. DC affiliate although the reception was likely to be snowy.

Circa 1963, the station was pressured to integrate local black youngsters on the same days with the white kids. Deane said that he'd retire first. That ended the show in '64, and AB was piped into town to replace it.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I grew up in the DC area. We moved to Fairfax County in the summer of '63 so must have missed Deane (although that kind of stuff was not on my radar screen when I was 9 years old.)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Besides AB, Wash. also had the Milt Grant show which was sporadic and often done from local swimming holes. Not sure if he was still around in '63.