We Are Meat Eaters

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Corie Henson, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Although it's a shame but I have to admit that my husband is the boss in the kitchen. But he learned to cook by "oido" or by experimenting. Since he is a natural cook so I can proudly say that he can really cook. However, most of the dishes in his menu is meat - chicken, pork, beef. In the 7 days of the week, we are lucky to have 2 days of non-meat like fish or seafood. Often it is only once a week that we have fish dishes.

Last week, my husband had a checkup and laboratory test which said that his bad cholesterol level is high in the vicinity of 4 where the limit is only 2.5. That is the start of the problem of thinking how to avoid meat for our meals. Although it is okay for him to cook meat for us, I said that it is just fine if we would have meat 2x a week and the rest would be fish and vegetables.

Hmm, let us see.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I have high cholesterol and gout as well. I'm supposed to cut out red meat. Fish and chicken is ok though. I still cheat a bit with sausage.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

It's not the cholesterol in the food you eat that causes high cholesterol levels. Your body makes cholesterol from the food you eat, mainly from vegetables.
    I guess the definition of meat differs. I define meat as the flesh of an animal, Including fish and fowl. BTW shellfish are very high in cholesterol.

Ike Willis and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to be a meat eater but over the years my tastes have changed. I still like chicken and that's really the only meat I will buy for myself but if I'm visiting either my son or daughter a steak or hamburger or BBQ ribs are a meal I enjoy but only a couple times a year.

Ike Willis likes this.
  5. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

The older i get the less i love red meat and the more i like chicken. I, too, have high cholesterol. My understanding is that it is because i eat too many items that have sugar in them. If i cut out sugar, my triglycerides would go down thus making my cholesterol lower. It has little to do with eating meat.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

'Tis fortunate, I realize I am, having eaten fatty meats growing up almost every day, pork roasts under which the drippin's were saved, to be used as "gravy" over Czech dumplings, Roast Duck and Goose, eaten fatty skin and all. My last combined Cholesterol count was 199.

It's the blood sugar which scares me, now over 100 for the first time ever.

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I notice I don't like red meat too much anymore either and prefer chicken. I also think cholesterol is hereditary sometimes. My son in law and his mother both have high cholesterol. My son in law is a meat eater and mostly steak. He doesn't eat much sugar at all or carbs. His mom eats healthy and not a red meat eater. Mostly chicken and veggies. Watches sugar.

They both take statins. Her mother died young from heart disease so it seems to be hereditary in their cases.

My cholesterol is normal, I mainly eat veggies and protein. No sugar at all almost. My family doesn't have a history of heart disease. Does have a few diabetics though. No breast cancer, or ovarian cancer or lung cancer either. In fact I think melanoma and thyroid were the only cancers and that's not what killed them in the end. Nobody died before the age of 83 except my husband but he's not related. My father lived to 92 and his mother lived to 94.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Researchers have found that red meat is good. If there are advantages to eating less beef and pork, they say, they are small, and not sufficient to tell people to change their diets. -- New York Times

Whatever it is that you like to eat or drink, if you wait long enough, the research will prove that it's good for you. Conversely, whatever you don't want to have to eat or drink, you're sure to find a study proving that it's bad for you. The experts don't lie, and we all know that if it wasn't true, it wouldn't be reported in the New York Times.

9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

This 83-year-old loves meat in any form: Animal, Fish, or Fowl.

I never concern myself with cholesterol, glycerides, or valve springs from old Studebakers..I only go for the most calories I can eat at one meal, AND I salt my food heavily and use a lot of sugar in my cereals and coffee.

Hal

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just a minute. I’ll have to consult with Politico, Snopes and a couple of other fact checkers just to make sure about that “experts” comment.

Ken Anderson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Some people have a healthy constitution and can pull off eating more liberally. Many, however, do not. There are lots of things I wish I could eat, but I just can't.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha!! Don't forget to watch 20,110 Youtube "experts" and a couple of Netflix documentaries.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bess Barber
    But, as we "pull off" eating the no-no stuff successfully well into old age, how do we know we would have fared better without it? Or, worse? Crystal Ball time again! Imponderable number 768.
    Frank

Hedi Mitchell and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Bottom line for me - I am more concerned about Gas that others can hear.
    Second- something is gonna Get You no matter what you do or don't do- a fact of life. And- my favorite line - not about living longer, but living better while your here.:)

Beth Gallagher and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

In my cardiac rehab class they quoted a study that finds that 80% of cholesterol is genetic and we can only control the other 20%.