Watch Local News?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you watch your local news? Here there can be so much crime, I really get tired of hearing about all of it. Just yesterday, there were 3 separate shootings (including 2 people killed) in north/northeastern part and a meth lab bust at a motel. My wife will ask a young co-worker if she/he had heard about this or that crime and they will say "nope, don't watch the news". Same goes for our neighbors in our complex.

Actually, I get amazed at how many people are moving into our local city, due the amount of crime here. Then again, if these newcomers don't watch local news when visiting here or check out local news online, they won't know. I guess, if a person is living in a nice area of town, making a nice salary at work and don't watch the news, they simply don't care about the crime that happens in other areas of the city.

Guess my question is a two-fold one:
    Do you watch your local news?
    Do you think people ignore the local news of a city/town they are thinking about moving to? As long as there are descent paying jobs and descent areas to live in, that's what matters most to them?

2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

And my answer will be two-fold, @Cody Fousnaugh . :) Do I "watch" local news, no... or anything, because two years ago we realized that we were paying $90/mo for cable TV and no one was watching more than an hour of it a week... except for the cat. True story. So we ditched the cable and have not missed it for a second... so I don't "watch" local news. (Can't watch online, either... it crashes me each time... need a new... well, whatever it takes... video driver... video card?, but in no rush to get it.)

I do, however, try to keep up with it by having a few Facebook page connections that have breaking news, so I'm not like living in a cave or anything. :D Plus I have friends at the newspaper office and radio station, so if it's something big, I'm sure to hear about it pretty much immediately.

I don't know about others, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ignore the local news of a place I'm considering living. I wouldn't trade a good paying job for my sense of security when it comes to safety. I wouldn't want to be looking over my shoulder every time I had to wander to the store or downtown... bad enough that that's exactly what I have to do on vacation if it's a rougher "tourist destination." :eek:

Terry Page and Ruby Begonia like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I watch the local news, I live in a very low crime area so our news is filled usually with much pleasant things...

and answer to your second question is that if I were looking to move to another area the very first thing I would look at are the crime statistics...absolutely without question.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't watch the local news and don't even read the local news except once in awhile. Thankfully I live in an area that is low in crime. Not saying no crime as there have been a few burglaries but no gang shootings or anything like that.

And yes, when looking for a home, crime is at the top of the list. After that it was how good are the schools when that was an issue.

When looking at houses and you don't know the area, if it's really cheap there is a reason. I'm not saying it's always because of crime, there are other factors.

I don't read the local news because I don't even think of Fresno as my home.

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Like Mari, I dumped my expensive cable, so no more local news on TV. I read it online.

Mari North and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I watch the local news most every day. More for the weather forecast than anything else, but I do like to keep up with things.

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I will be doing the same soon, Ruby...threw out the tempting enticement from XFinity. Even had a $200 Visa card I would get...and you do get them. Got one when I got AT&T 9 yrs ago. If I did watch TV all day, I would be thinking differently but I don't.

Ok...back on topic.

Another thing I don't like about local news is that they are such local yokels. I guess I expect people like Tom Brokaw (did he die?) in Fresno.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  8. Mari North

Registered

Brokaw,, @Chrissy Page , was diagnosed with a treatable cancer a few years ago, but is still living as far as I know.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, Mari, I tend to forget or mix up who died and who didn't. Now I can't think of the name of the other newscaster that did die. He was good looking and maybe on the ABC network.

Mari North likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, there would be absolutely no way that my wife could go without tv. Since we have an HD tv, we do pay a higher cost for cable/HD programs connected in with our internet connection. Even when we aren't watching tv, wife likes it on for the sound. She tells me there was a lot of sound in her family house when growing up with two sisters and a brother. We also watch a lot of dvd movies, both rented and our own library of them. We just aren't the kind of people that sit around in quietness and read a good book. Nope, that sure isn't us.

As far as local news goes, we will watch it, and perhaps make a comment about a crime, but we do know where we live is one of the safest areas in the city. Even with that "safeness", we may take a walk around our apartment complex at dark, to get some exercise, but it's never after 9PM and during the summer. And, we never take a walk outside our complex after dark, like we see some of the younger generation doing.

11. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Per your questions @Cody Fousnaugh .... yes, I watch local news ...bad habit I guess.

(Not watching on cable, but I get all local and national news programming on TV just fine with my antenna ... ABC/NBC/CBS. Nothing has changed there - except it's free.)

But as for that local (and national news) ... it all gets depressing.
    Everyday local news starts with BREAKING NEWS !!!!!!.. sometimes 2-3 BREAKING NEWS stories.
    It gets tiresome.
    They glorify every break-in, shooting, accident, the weather ... it is all so dramatic anymore.

And the second question ... Don't know how I would feel just watching any news about an area I wanted to move to ... I would need to visit the area first and look around some - get a feel for the place. The news on TV wouldn't sway me one way or the other.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

There is really nothing on TV that interests me anymore, Cody. I'm paying $80 to watch one channel.

I'd rather watch things on my ipad anyway.

Terry Page and Ruby Begonia like this.
  13. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I watch our local and national news religiously. I have family who don't watch the news. It's hard to converse with them because they don't know what's going on around them. All they seem to know about is the really important stuff, like sports or TV reality show crap. :rolleyes:

14. Mari North

Registered

That would be Peter Jennings... as for people in the public eye dying, it's like that for me, too, @Chrissy Page ... plus sometimes someone will die and it will shock me because I thought they died years (or decades!) ago.

Chrissy Cross and Terry Page like this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, Thanks!